Bullnose Forum

Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

Gary, other than the 1996 stuff, you can do what ever you want, just send the 1996 and Kelsey-Hayes part back when you are done.

Thanks, Bill. I thought I'd put the '90 and '95 stuff on the shelf if you don't want it. And I won't tear up the '96 stuff. In fact, I may start scanning it tomorrow. We shall see. But I want to do the thermactor scanning first.

Thanks, Bill. I thought I'd put the '90 and '95 stuff on the shelf if you don't want it. And I won't tear up the '96 stuff. In fact, I may start scanning it tomorrow. We shall see. But I want to do the thermactor scanning first.

For today's announcement: We now have the 1980 factory shop manual section on thermactor systems on the site. And I've also included the sections from the 1982 and 1986 Engine Emission Diagnosis manuals on the page. They are at Documentation/Emissions/Thermactor Systems. (Yes, the '82 and '86 info is still on the pages in the respective Engine Emissions Diagnosis books, but it seemed appropriate to include it on the Thermactor page as well.)

In '80 the thermactor chapter was in the Engine book of the FSM. But in '81 it says to refer to the Engine Emissions Diagnosis book so apparently that is when Ford came out with the generic info on the various emissions systems. I say "generic" as the emissions book covers all vehicles where the factory shop manuals cover specific vehicles.

For today's announcement: We now have the 1980 factory shop manual section on thermactor systems on the site. And I've also included the sections from the 1982 and 1986 Engine Emission Diagnosis manuals on the page. They are at Documentation/Emissions/Thermactor Systems. (Yes, the '82 and '86 info is still on the pages in the respective Engine Emissions Diagnosis books, but it seemed appropriate to include it on the Thermactor page as well.)

In '80 the thermactor chapter was in the Engine book of the FSM. But in '81 it says to refer to the Engine Emissions Diagnosis book so apparently that is when Ford came out with the generic info on the various emissions systems. I say "generic" as the emissions book covers all vehicles where the factory shop manuals cover specific vehicles.

Also, I discovered in the 1980 document that there's the statement below on Page 5. So I did a bit of research and found SSD-4 & 5 in a 97-page chapter called "Light Duty and Heavy Duty Truck Engine Diagnosis and Service". I scanned it in and then extracted SSD-4 & 5 and inserted them at the end of the 1980 Thermactor FSM document.

So if you click on the blue box around SSD-4 or SSD-5 (in the document, not here as that's a picture) you'll be taken to the respective page. For reference SSD-4 is "Thermactor System - Non-Catalytic" and SSD-5 is "Thermactor System - Catalytic". And they have testing and repair procedures.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n107590/Thermactor_Statement.jpg

Also, I discovered in the 1980 document that there's the statement below on Page 5. So I did a bit of research and found SSD-4 & 5 in a 97-page chapter called "Light Duty and Heavy Duty Truck Engine Diagnosis and Service". I scanned it in and then extracted SSD-4 & 5 and inserted them at the end of the 1980 Thermactor FSM document.

So if you click on the blue box around SSD-4 or SSD-5 (in the document, not here as that's a picture) you'll be taken to the respective page. For reference SSD-4 is "Thermactor System - Non-Catalytic" and SSD-5 is "Thermactor System - Catalytic". And they have testing and repair procedures.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n107590/Thermactor_Statement.jpg

And now for that 97-page chapter in the 1980 FSM entitled "Light Duty and Heavy Duty Truck Engine Diagnosis and Service". I've added it to the page at Documentation/Engines/General Engine Service, which took a bit of reorganization of that page.

And I've included the index page, below left, and the 2nd page about PCV valves on the right. (Did you know there two types of PCV valves???) So you can see the type of information that's in the document.

As you can see, there is a whole more info in that document than just "engine diagnosis". So I may extract the "Emission Control System Diagnosis & Service Procedures" stuff, section by section and include them in the related pages. For instance, we have several pages on air cleaners (Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners/...) and I could put the Air Cleaner Temperature Control Systems section there.

So I'd like y'all to look it over and let me know if you see something in there that we need to include elsewhere. Or, something we should like to from elsewhere.

1980_Engine_Diagnosis__Service.thumb.jpg.3c14e3789826920947a13ef51869dbfc.jpgPCV_Valve.thumb.jpg.ea4bcd3c79d2d0f4443c9d51d26d61a8.jpg

And now for that 97-page chapter in the 1980 FSM entitled "Light Duty and Heavy Duty Truck Engine Diagnosis and Service". I've added it to the page at Documentation/Engines/General Engine Service, which took a bit of reorganization of that page.

And I've included the index page, below left, and the 2nd page about PCV valves on the right. (Did you know there two types of PCV valves???) So you can see the type of information that's in the document.

As you can see, there is a whole more info in that document than just "engine diagnosis". So I may extract the "Emission Control System Diagnosis & Service Procedures" stuff, section by section and include them in the related pages. For instance, we have several pages on air cleaners (Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners/...) and I could put the Air Cleaner Temperature Control Systems section there.

So I'd like y'all to look it over and let me know if you see something in there that we need to include elsewhere. Or, something we should like to from elsewhere.

The next installment. First, the "vacuum" section has been moved out from the Underhood area, and it is now at Documentation/Vacuum Systems, with these changes:

• Vacuum System Acronyms: We've had the acronyms on a page, but they were really hard to find so now they have their own page

• Vacuum System Requirements: Ditto the acronyms. We've had these requirements but they weren't easily found so now they have their own page.

• Vacuum System Testing: This is a new page and it has two entries so far - sections from the Engine Diagnosis & Service section on Vacuum Delay Valve and the Ported Vacuum Switch. I'll add sections as and when I find them.

The Engine Diagnosis & Service section has information on testing the ignition system, so I extracted it and placed it on a tab at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition. And some of it is very interesting. For instance it has you test the module by placing a heat lamp 1 - 2" from it and getting it up close to, but not quite to, boiling. And it says "An engine that idles smoothly but becomes rough when accelerated (1000-2000 rpm) can be caused by crossed orange and purple primary ignition wires in the engine harness between the distributor and the module." :nabble_smiley_oh:

And we already had a page for EGR at Documentation/Engines/EGR Valves/EGR System Description & Testing. So I extracted the EGR section from the Engine Diagnosis & Testing section and added it to a tab on that page.

• 2 weeks later...

The next installment. First, the "vacuum" section has been moved out from the Underhood area, and it is now at Documentation/Vacuum Systems, with these changes:

• Vacuum System Acronyms: We've had the acronyms on a page, but they were really hard to find so now they have their own page

• Vacuum System Requirements: Ditto the acronyms. We've had these requirements but they weren't easily found so now they have their own page.

• Vacuum System Testing: This is a new page and it has two entries so far - sections from the Engine Diagnosis & Service section on Vacuum Delay Valve and the Ported Vacuum Switch. I'll add sections as and when I find them.

The Engine Diagnosis & Service section has information on testing the ignition system, so I extracted it and placed it on a tab at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition. And some of it is very interesting. For instance it has you test the module by placing a heat lamp 1 - 2" from it and getting it up close to, but not quite to, boiling. And it says "An engine that idles smoothly but becomes rough when accelerated (1000-2000 rpm) can be caused by crossed orange and purple primary ignition wires in the engine harness between the distributor and the module." :nabble_smiley_oh:

And we already had a page for EGR at Documentation/Engines/EGR Valves/EGR System Description & Testing. So I extracted the EGR section from the Engine Diagnosis & Testing section and added it to a tab on that page.

Thanks to Bill/85lebaront2 we now have the 1996 F-Series Maintenance Schedule booklet on site. It shows in the spreadsheet on the Documentation/Manuals & Literature page.

And since that's the year front axle and transmission I have... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks to Bill/85lebaront2 we now have the 1996 F-Series Maintenance Schedule booklet on site. It shows in the spreadsheet on the Documentation/Manuals & Literature page.

And since that's the year front axle and transmission I have... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks for the upload Gary! I can technically use it as well since my front axle is from a 1995 and uses the bolt on calipers.

Speaking of maintenance schedules, it's almost time for my 4th spark plug and wire change on my DD Ranger. Hard to believe I'm almost at 200k but I also have owned/daily driven the truck for 11 years now. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks for the upload Gary! I can technically use it as well since my front axle is from a 1995 and uses the bolt on calipers.

Speaking of maintenance schedules, it's almost time for my 4th spark plug and wire change on my DD Ranger. Hard to believe I'm almost at 200k but I also have owned/daily driven the truck for 11 years now. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That's a lot of miles, Shaun. :nabble_smiley_oh:

As for documentation, glad you can use it. How 'bout a '96 owner's manual? I have 209 of the 420 pages of Bill's '96 manual scanned, and hope to finish tomorrow.

As for documentation, glad you can use it. How 'bout a '96 owner's manual? I have 209 of the 420 pages of Bill's '96 manual scanned, and hope to finish tomorrow.

158,000 of those miles are mine. :nabble_smiley_cool: They tend to rack up faster now since I have a 40 mile round trip drive to work, but I'm aiming to see how long I can keep the old girl going.

Not sure there's much for me to use in a 1996 owner's manual. I think I have a 1986 owner's manual, which is what my drivetrain is based off of (with exception to the 1356 T-Case).

158,000 of those miles are mine. :nabble_smiley_cool: They tend to rack up faster now since I have a 40 mile round trip drive to work, but I'm aiming to see how long I can keep the old girl going.

Not sure there's much for me to use in a 1996 owner's manual. I think I have a 1986 owner's manual, which is what my drivetrain is based off of (with exception to the 1356 T-Case).

We have both the 86 owners and operators guides on the site.

As for the mileage, 40 x 5 x 50 is 10,000/year. That’s not all that much.