Bullnose Forums

Alternator Brackets

Sorry friends, with all the questions I've been throwing up here, almost daily, I probably should have started a build thread.....sheez! This truck is fighting me all the way. Today I got my power steering pump on and for the most part that went relatively smooth. Lots of endplay in that pump shaft. The thing has been leaking for many years now and I just kept adding fluid to it. What a mess it was under there and as such I've not been that dirty in a long time!

So, installed the new belts today and am not happy with the way my alternator and belt is fitting up. This may be a product of my removal of the smog stuff all those years ago, however I don't recall the belt being skewed as it is now.....see photos. When I took it apart, I took pictures so I'm sure I'm putting it back the way it came off. Removal of the pan (lack for proper nomenclature) that fits under the alternator and also works as part of the bracketry was cracked. I welded it up and reinforced it. Anyway, I've surfed the web to see if I'm putting this back together correctly or perhaps missing some parts but I'm coming up empty. If one of you guys could help me out with a Ford diagram and/or suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Alter3.jpg.3d03a7c3e8eaac54db48c5ff5ee644e3.jpgAlter4.jpg.a5d3b62ac7c626f0c9b8208d0a69d228.jpg

Alter1.jpg.730ed3d40f896a22e5e8e2480cca80e3.jpgAlter2.jpg.443087ad13b054caa6fb10bca0c95a97.jpg

John - I'm having a hard time getting my head around what you have. But I do see the alignment issue on the belt.

Have you seen this illustration from the page at Documentation/Electrical/Alternators?

That is precisely what I was looking for, Gary. Thank you! It looks like the smog pump bracket was an integral part of the mounting. I don't see that part that I referred to as a pan, but it fits up under the alternator, bolts to the side of the block with the ground wire and to the lower bracket in you illustration. Some kind of shield for the alternator, I suspect.

At any rate, I've got to figure out a better set up than this. Don't know how I got away with this for so long. If anybody has suggestions, please fire away?

Found this on the web which is essentially my set up, only this individual kept the smog pump bracket. My setup is not only misaligned but incredibly flimsy. Serpentine belt system would be the way to go, as I really am not a fan of this massive mess on my engine. Not really in the budget though.

Engine_brackets.jpg.40f8c251382f153708ca2989e64d896f.jpg

That is precisely what I was looking for, Gary. Thank you! It looks like the smog pump bracket was an integral part of the mounting. I don't see that part that I referred to as a pan, but it fits up under the alternator, bolts to the side of the block with the ground wire and to the lower bracket in you illustration. Some kind of shield for the alternator, I suspect.

At any rate, I've got to figure out a better set up than this. Don't know how I got away with this for so long. If anybody has suggestions, please fire away?

That's kind of why I was confused. Your setup doesn't look like what I've seen in the past.

You might be able to shim the pulley a bit. Check to see how many threads are showing on the shaft past the nut. You can then put a shim behind the pulley to move it forward.

Also, I just realized that we didn't have a page for alternator pulleys, but did have a page that included crankshaft and water pump pulleys: Documentation/Engine/Pulleys. So I added a tab there for alternator pulleys.

And the thing to note is that there was/is a single sheave pulley for the 351's. Single sheave pulleys are Type 3, and double sheave are Type 6. The part number for the 351 pulley is C5AZ 10344-K and the ID number that will be on the pulley is C9AF 10A352-A or B. And the Motorcraft part number for it is GP-493.

That pulley is supposedly on alternator E1BZ 10346-B, which was used on all F-Series trucks built prior to December of 1980.

I can't tell you that it will line up with your crank pulley, but if you can't shim your existing pulley far enough to line the belt up you should be able to shim that pulley far enough as it is 1.02" front/rear as opposed to your pulley being 1.4" f/r.

That's kind of why I was confused. Your setup doesn't look like what I've seen in the past.

You might be able to shim the pulley a bit. Check to see how many threads are showing on the shaft past the nut. You can then put a shim behind the pulley to move it forward.

Also, I just realized that we didn't have a page for alternator pulleys, but did have a page that included crankshaft and water pump pulleys: Documentation/Engine/Pulleys. So I added a tab there for alternator pulleys.

And the thing to note is that there was/is a single sheave pulley for the 351's. Single sheave pulleys are Type 3, and double sheave are Type 6. The part number for the 351 pulley is C5AZ 10344-K and the ID number that will be on the pulley is C9AF 10A352-A or B. And the Motorcraft part number for it is GP-493.

That pulley is supposedly on alternator E1BZ 10346-B, which was used on all F-Series trucks built prior to December of 1980.

I can't tell you that it will line up with your crank pulley, but if you can't shim your existing pulley far enough to line the belt up you should be able to shim that pulley far enough as it is 1.02" front/rear as opposed to your pulley being 1.4" f/r.

Looks like I may have found a solution to my problem! And Gary, you're in on this conversation. Of course it was only nine years ago....lol! I'm going to seek out these parts and will let you know how it works out. If it does, we may want to add this little mod to the forum somewhere.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1124568-alternator-smog-pump-bracket-mod-with-pics.html#post11180503

Looks like I may have found a solution to my problem! And Gary, you're in on this conversation. Of course it was only nine years ago....lol! I'm going to seek out these parts and will let you know how it works out. If it does, we may want to add this little mod to the forum somewhere.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1124568-alternator-smog-pump-bracket-mod-with-pics.html#post11180503

I actually thought of that conversation, but my memory tells me that those parts are very hard to find. However, it is a good setup. Hope you can find all of the parts.

Found this on the web which is essentially my set up, only this individual kept the smog pump bracket. My setup is not only misaligned but incredibly flimsy. Serpentine belt system would be the way to go, as I really am not a fan of this massive mess on my engine. Not really in the budget though.

Is it just me? Or is it the angle of the picture? It almost looks like the belt lines up better on the forward groove then it does on the inboard one. It also looks like the bracket that you have now is for a late 60's early 70's 351 C engine, it looks just like the alt bracket on the 351 C that I have in my 62 F100 Flair side.

Is it just me? Or is it the angle of the picture? It almost looks like the belt lines up better on the forward groove then it does on the inboard one. It also looks like the bracket that you have now is for a late 60's early 70's 351 C engine, it looks just like the alt bracket on the 351 C that I have in my 62 F100 Flair side.

Good observation, Steve! The belt is where it's suppose to be but curious too, I actually put it in the forward pulley groove and it was worse. As I removed all the smog mess years ago, things are a little foggy but all the brackets are what came on the truck.

Good observation, Steve! The belt is where it's suppose to be but curious too, I actually put it in the forward pulley groove and it was worse. As I removed all the smog mess years ago, things are a little foggy but all the brackets are what came on the truck.

Ok..............so time to improvise, adapt, and overcome. Is there enough room to add a couple of flat washers, and some longer bolts to space the bracket out to where it will line up with the crank pulley? that would give you time to find the parts you have the link to and still have your pickup.