Bullnose Forums

Yesterday's Outage & Forum Hosting Plans

It isn't a job, it is a labor of love. The forum has really taken off, far beyond my wildest imagination, and I like making it work for us. All of us.

So the outages really bug me, especially when I am not aware of why we had an outage nor whether they really fixed it or it is still "out there" and will come back.

I was an IT professional and I understand how things should be run. And this ain't it. So I'm hoping to make some improvements.

A few random thoughts after scanning through this thread.

I always get to this forum on my computer via a bookmark to the forum home page

I've seen the "over capacity" error several times in the past. It is always in-between successfully accessing pages and almost always the second attempt will be successful

On two different days I got an error (not the "over capacity" but i forget exactly what it said) when I tried getting on. In hind sight I'm sure the first was the day you said the server was down, and the second was the day you said it was out for a bit. The first day I retried a time or two and figured something must be down. I retried a couple times later in the day, but gave up after one failure each time.

Personally I don't need or want an e-mail notifying me when it goes down (or comes back up). While I certainly enjoy this forum (and thanks for it!), I don't need it. If it's not available for a while I'll survive. And I'm old enough that I'm used to not having every possible bit of information available to me at all times, so I'll survive not knowing exactly why it's down too! Plus I share an e-mail address with my wife, and she's the main user of it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few random thoughts after scanning through this thread.

I always get to this forum on my computer via a bookmark to the forum home page

I've seen the "over capacity" error several times in the past. It is always in-between successfully accessing pages and almost always the second attempt will be successful

On two different days I got an error (not the "over capacity" but i forget exactly what it said) when I tried getting on. In hind sight I'm sure the first was the day you said the server was down, and the second was the day you said it was out for a bit. The first day I retried a time or two and figured something must be down. I retried a couple times later in the day, but gave up after one failure each time.

Personally I don't need or want an e-mail notifying me when it goes down (or comes back up). While I certainly enjoy this forum (and thanks for it!), I don't need it. If it's not available for a while I'll survive. And I'm old enough that I'm used to not having every possible bit of information available to me at all times, so I'll survive not knowing exactly why it's down too! Plus I share an e-mail address with my wife, and she's the main user of it.

Sorry for the late response - the server was over capacity. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Anyway, I fully understand that you don't need notification that the forum is up or down. And I really understand about the shared email. Janey and I did that for the longest time - until the traffic from the forum got too onerous for her. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Sorry for the late response - the server was over capacity. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Anyway, I fully understand that you don't need notification that the forum is up or down. And I really understand about the shared email. Janey and I did that for the longest time - until the traffic from the forum got too onerous for her. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Do we as members need to contribute some $$ to the cause?

Do we as members need to contribute some $$ to the cause?

Thanks, but no. At present everything is covered. However, the future is uncertain and there may be an opportunity.

My hope is that we get Nabble running on a commercially-managed server. I don’t think that will cost very much, but I don’t know yet.

Thanks again for offering.