Bullnose Forums

Junkyard find: type 12 mirrors

My diesel currently has Type 8 gooseneck towing mirrors or "tripod" mirrors. They offer a good view, but I'm not crazy about the lower struts, and being all stainless they will be a real challenge to paint black and keep them looking nice if I go with the XLS exterior trim theme....

So yesterday at the junkyard I noticed that there was a 1973 F600 with painted Type 12 Ford mirrors. They might be "a bit much" for a pickup, but should be great for trailering. I grabbed them because the price is right ($14 each side) and west coast mirrors can get very spendy. These are not super slick but they are period correct, and will hopefully clean up well.

IMG_6985.jpg.c161e0173dcf16932d64143aeef87a5a.jpg

IMG_6986.jpg.7bf1ff5ac71fbbab74f8d82ec59e5be5.jpg

IMG_6987.jpg.4558603f50d793df0e7d3dbc8617a0b4.jpg

I like them! They will be so much better for towing. And they'll look good in black. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Gary, I'm hoping so. On both accounts. The tripod mirrors do actually provide a great view, but I think these will be better still. Not the greatest for aerodynamics but it's a bullnose! What's a little more drag and turbulence going to hurt? 😅 I lost that war before it even started.

Thanks Gary, I'm hoping so. On both accounts. The tripod mirrors do actually provide a great view, but I think these will be better still. Not the greatest for aerodynamics but it's a bullnose! What's a little more drag and turbulence going to hurt? 😅 I lost that war before it even started.

Wow. This place is charging $125-$150 per side for similar mirrors 😳

https://www.heavytruckparts.net/search.php?qsearch=TRUE&PartID=1280&ManufMake=FORD&Model=F600

Nice find! :nabble_smiley_good: Hope to see them painted and installed.

I had a set of west coast mirrors on my 1974 F250 Supercab. I like them.

They are big, but great for towing. Plus you can use a big convex mirror! I missed them after I sold that truck.

Nice find! :nabble_smiley_good: Hope to see them painted and installed.

I had a set of west coast mirrors on my 1974 F250 Supercab. I like them.

They are big, but great for towing. Plus you can use a big convex mirror! I missed them after I sold that truck.

I think there's another huge advantage to those mirrors - they are far enough out that they won't interfere with the vent windows, regardless of where you put them. The other mirrors have to be back far enough to clear the vent windows, which makes you have to turn your head in order to use them, which is a problem if you are old like me and your neck doesn't turn easily or if you wear glasses.

I think there's another huge advantage to those mirrors - they are far enough out that they won't interfere with the vent windows, regardless of where you put them. The other mirrors have to be back far enough to clear the vent windows, which makes you have to turn your head in order to use them, which is a problem if you are old like me and your neck doesn't turn easily or if you wear glasses.

Or, if money was not an issue and you wanted the mirrors with lights!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-79-NOS-OEM-FORD-TRUCK-LIGHTED-WEST-COAST-MIRRORS-F100-F600-SET-OF-2-RANGER/132407075777?epid=1322965695&hash=item1ed413a3c1:g:1V4AAOSwJtdaFFV5&vxp=mtr

Neat find David! But quite expensive. I'd be nervous to have lights on wide mirrors like that. They could take a thrashing if you like to drive around in the woods or the desert like I like to do. I wonder if they fill a legal marker light requirement or if they are just decorative? I read that some states require trailers taller than the cab to have marker lights, but that cab marker lights filled that requirement if the trailer did not have them, hence the reason cab lights were part of the "tow package"on F250's and F350's. Could be hog wash but that's what I read.

Neat find David! But quite expensive. I'd be nervous to have lights on wide mirrors like that. They could take a thrashing if you like to drive around in the woods or the desert like I like to do. I wonder if they fill a legal marker light requirement or if they are just decorative? I read that some states require trailers taller than the cab to have marker lights, but that cab marker lights filled that requirement if the trailer did not have them, hence the reason cab lights were part of the "tow package"on F250's and F350's. Could be hog wash but that's what I read.

Big Blue came with the trailering package from the factory but no cab lights.