Bullnose Forums

86 5.0 Efi smog/ emissions delete

Carburetor is out of the question. I take this rig on trails, so efi is mandatory for me. It keeps the rig from stalling on off camber situations.

It shouldn't be. There are PLENTY of Jeeps running around with carburetors in the roughest trails and terrain there is. And you can take all of the emissions off of your truck, like you want. Plus, you can run almost any cam profile you wish!

Interestingly enough, the most popular choice for a Jeep that is regularly taken off road is the [Ford] Motorcraft 2100/2150 that was found on the 5.0 trucks before fuel injection. That carburetor can take some extreme angles before stalling out.

Carburetor is out of the question. I take this rig on trails, so efi is mandatory for me. It keeps the rig from stalling on off camber situations.

It shouldn't be. There are PLENTY of Jeeps running around with carburetors in the roughest trails and terrain there is. And you can take all of the emissions off of your truck, like you want. Plus, you can run almost any cam profile you wish!

Interestingly enough, the most popular choice for a Jeep that is regularly taken off road is the [Ford] Motorcraft 2100/2150 that was found on the 5.0 trucks before fuel injection. That carburetor can take some extreme angles before stalling out.

I had a 90 wrangler i built for rock crawling. It started with a carb. The trails i was running would slosh fuel and stall it constantly.

All my trail rigs get efi.

My street cars are a different story. But i know what i require on my trail rigs.

I had a 90 wrangler i built for rock crawling. It started with a carb. The trails i was running would slosh fuel and stall it constantly.

My street cars are a different story. But i know what i require on my trail rigs.

Here is the type carburetor I was referring to. A lot of the Jeep crowd used to swear by them. You can see where the float bowl sits up above everything and the primary main jets are located almost in the center of the bottom of the bowl, secondary jets are tubes extending down into the bowl close to the primary main jets. It will function at some amazing angles. FWIW, the 1953-54 Lincolns in the Pan Americana had these.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/holley-model-4000-teapot

You are dismissing all carburetors just because yours didn't perform well?

The stock carburetor for a 1990 Wrangler would have been a feedback Carter. Those years are known to be a pain because of the added electronics and emissions. And it isn't the best for a trail rig, for the reasons you are saying. Anyone in the Jeep crowd will tell you that, which is why it is usually swapped out. A popular upgrade to the stock Carter carburetor is a [Ford] Motorcraft 2100/2150, like I said in my previous post.

EFI is great, but the right carburetor should work just as good, and be a whole lot cheaper. I don't think it is possible to run any EFI system without emissions.

Sorry; just trying to help. Good luck with your project.