Bullnose Forums

The replacing of a c6 with t19. More than just the swap

IDIBronco

It isn't probably as big of a deal as I made it out to be IF, and only IF, you understand and know it could happen. The first couple times it happened to me were a BIG surprise. I think you would probably be fine in a truck only situation. When you get a hydroboost going I recommend getting the truck rolling and shutting the engine off (with steering wheel not locked) and try the brakes in a safe spot (deserted parking lot or long driveway maybe) and test what brakes you have. Then let off the brakes and try again, remember there is a small canister on the side of the booster that is supposed to be a hydraulic accumulator (if I understand correctly) and store 1 pedal pump worth of braking. That one simple test will show you what happens and what it feels like. Should be a mandatory step in a hydroboost conversion process for the safety of everyone. Consider if the power steering belt broke or came off while driving... things that perhaps my younger self would have never given a second thought.

Yes, there is an accumulator. The FSM says:

A hydro-boost reserve system (accumulator) stores sufficient fluid under pressure to provide at least two power-assisted brake applications in the event the power steering pump fluid flow is interrupted.

The brakes can also be applied manually if the reserve system is depleted.

But I think your suggestion is a good one and I'll give it a try.

That doesn't sound like fun! And that concerns me since I plan to take Big Blue off road, where stalling could happen. But, I have a transfer case (BW1345) with a low gear and the ZF5 w/a 5.72 first gear, so hopefully the 460's compression will stop it if need be.

Gary, try Andrew’s suggestion and get the feel of a stall under controlled conditions... however I wouldn’t be overly worried about it if you are not hauling heavy. In my ‘81 it is somewhat worse than stalling with vacuum brakes but not that much worse. With the low speed involved in back country maneuvering I don’t expect it will be an issue.

Yes, there is an accumulator. The FSM says:

A hydro-boost reserve system (accumulator) stores sufficient fluid under pressure to provide at least two power-assisted brake applications in the event the power steering pump fluid flow is interrupted.

The brakes can also be applied manually if the reserve system is depleted.

But I think your suggestion is a good one and I'll give it a try.

I stand corrected. 2 pumps.

That doesn't sound like fun! And that concerns me since I plan to take Big Blue off road, where stalling could happen. But, I have a transfer case (BW1345) with a low gear and the ZF5 w/a 5.72 first gear, so hopefully the 460's compression will stop it if need be.

Gary, try Andrew’s suggestion and get the feel of a stall under controlled conditions... however I wouldn’t be overly worried about it if you are not hauling heavy. In my ‘81 it is somewhat worse than stalling with vacuum brakes but not that much worse. With the low speed involved in back country maneuvering I don’t expect it will be an issue.

I'll give it a try. Soon, I hope. :nabble_smiley_wink: