Bullnose Forums

Engine Squeal

Hey friends got the truck up and running a week or so ago and have not had time to do much else. Basically after changing the intake gaskets, rebuilding the distributor and carburetor and cleaning up a host of other things just wanted to fire it up. He fires right up, idles nicely and sounds good. There is a carb or timing issue that I need to mess with as it seems to stall with sudden increased rpm (likely the accelerator pump I think) but the thing that is more concerning to me is the squeal I hear with increasing rpm. When time permits, I'm going to pull the belts but just wanted your thoughts on what you think it might be? Below is the video I have uploaded to YouTube. Thanks!

Congrat's on getting it going! :nabble_anim_claps:

And, I concur - that's a belt squeal.

Thanks gentlemen! Makes sense as I loosened the power steering belt to eval the pump for a leak. Probably didn't get it tight enough. Need to replace the belts. Any recommendation on quality belts?

Thanks gentlemen! Makes sense as I loosened the power steering belt to eval the pump for a leak. Probably didn't get it tight enough. Need to replace the belts. Any recommendation on quality belts?

I've always used Gates since they are available locally although I got my latest ones from RA. I have heard really good things about vbeltsupply though.

I've always used Gates since they are available locally although I got my latest ones from RA. I have heard really good things about vbeltsupply though.

Pulled the belts last night and indeed it was the power steering belt. They all looked bad and need to be replaced. Replacing all the belts, hoses, fuel line and other consumables.

I made a five hour trip to move my daughter out of her apartment a few weeks back pulling a trailer. Had I known then what I know now, don't think I would have made that trip. At least, not with this truck. Good ole reliable truck though. Gonna give it some TLC!

Pulled the belts last night and indeed it was the power steering belt. They all looked bad and need to be replaced. Replacing all the belts, hoses, fuel line and other consumables.

I made a five hour trip to move my daughter out of her apartment a few weeks back pulling a trailer. Had I known then what I know now, don't think I would have made that trip. At least, not with this truck. Good ole reliable truck though. Gonna give it some TLC!

It deserves some TLC. Glad you got the belt issue sorted.