Bullnose Forums

Who can identify the sensor?

I am trying to order a new oil sensor for my 85.5 F150 6.0 EFI. I know it's an oil sensor, but am having difficulty finding one that fits the part in the pic below.

I know you all can identify the part below, but can you tell me the correct sensor part # or point me to where I can get one?

I ordered one and although its threads fit well, the sensor part bottoms out in the tube and it can't be installed.

unnamed.thumb.jpg.48be587feeff3ec066eb33ac3d3ae83d.jpg

Much appreciation in advance! :nabble_anim_jump:

Steve

Looks like that is something I don't have on the website. Plan to later today, but in the interim:

The adaptor is E1TZ-9B449-B, catalog lists thread as 1/4"-18 NPT, which should be correct.

As far as the sender, use D4AZ-9278-A if you have a warning light, or E4ZZ-9278-A if you have an oil pressure gauge.

Side note to Gary - Your catalog must be old? I've seen a few mistakes.

The adaptor is E1TZ-9B449-B, catalog lists thread as 1/4"-18 NPT, which should be correct.

As far as the sender, use D4AZ-9278-A if you have a warning light, or E4ZZ-9278-A if you have an oil pressure gauge.

Side note to Gary - Your catalog must be old? I've seen a few mistakes.

You are right, the D4AZ-9278-A is for a light. My bad! :nabble_smiley_blush:

However, I don't believe that E4ZZ-9278-A is the right number for his truck. As shown below that's the right one for an 1988 and later, which uses a different gauge system with a reversed and different resistance range.

Let me get the new page up and I'll be back.

Gauge_and_Light_Header.thumb.jpg.d8f358cacf6c972095c06eabb112c54a.jpg

E4ZZ.thumb.jpg.b83c77bb88cb695484a434a8070fcfe4.jpg

EDIT: I'M WRONG AGAIN!

Numbers_2.thumb.jpg.c304f3fe30809fb083393820695ee3db.jpg

You are right, the D4AZ-9278-A is for a light. My bad! :nabble_smiley_blush:

However, I don't believe that E4ZZ-9278-A is the right number for his truck. As shown below that's the right one for an 1988 and later, which uses a different gauge system with a reversed and different resistance range.

Let me get the new page up and I'll be back.

Gauge_and_Light_Header.thumb.jpg.24af7db3309f386a03782091c69608f7.jpg

EDIT: I'M WRONG AGAIN!

Numbers_2.thumb.jpg.5041aa0db054dc9eff8a2441ab407985.jpg

Here's what I've found, and I'm really confused. Note how D4AZ-A is both for a light and a pressure gauge. And that E4ZZ-A is for a 1987 also, and I know those gauge systems were different than the Bullnose gauges. :nabble_anim_confused:

Gauge_and_Light_Header.thumb.jpg.24af7db3309f386a03782091c69608f7.jpg

Numbers_1.thumb.jpg.105a0d9f7c23e64e3f96490e640eb26a.jpg

Numbers_2.thumb.jpg.5041aa0db054dc9eff8a2441ab407985.jpg

Oil_Pressure.thumb.jpg.5ccf7a71ea252d8895493246fa66c09e.jpg

Here's what I've found, and I'm really confused. Note how D4AZ-A is both for a light and a pressure gauge. And that E4ZZ-A is for a 1987 also, and I know those gauge systems were different than the Bullnose gauges. :nabble_anim_confused:

I think I understand. D4AZ 9278-A is a switch. It is not a sending unit. And it appears that Ford used it in TSB #88-5-14 to "fix" a low oil pressure problem by a slight of hand. Read about it here, as in many other places.

Basically that substituted a variable-resistance sending unit with a 6 psi pressure switch and a 20 ohm resistor. So any time the oil pressure was at or above 6 psi the switch would close and the gauge would read mid-scale - regardless of how much pressure there is.

I think I understand. D4AZ 9278-A is a switch. It is not a sending unit. And it appears that Ford used it in TSB #88-5-14 to "fix" a low oil pressure problem by a slight of hand. Read about it here, as in many other places.

Basically that substituted a variable-resistance sending unit with a 6 psi pressure switch and a 20 ohm resistor. So any time the oil pressure was at or above 6 psi the switch would close and the gauge would read mid-scale - regardless of how much pressure there is.

I've now created a page for this: Electrical/Sending Units. Still need to do the temp sender, but the oil pressure and fuel level tabs are done.

Yup, that oil gauge trick is a dirty one and pretty commonplace. Even my 2003 Ranger has this. Good thing is you can convert back to a real gauge by shorting the 20 ohm resistor and using the gauge sender.

Don't know what year this started in.

Yup, that oil gauge trick is a dirty one and pretty commonplace. Even my 2003 Ranger has this. Good thing is you can convert back to a real gauge by shorting the 20 ohm resistor and using the gauge sender.

Don't know what year this started in.

Apparently, based on the catalog saying to use the switch for 1980 - 86 trucks, the TSB applied to the whole Bullnose era. I'd like to find the actual TSB and post it in that section.

Apparently, based on the catalog saying to use the switch for 1980 - 86 trucks, the TSB applied to the whole Bullnose era. I'd like to find the actual TSB and post it in that section.

This falls into some perfect timing,.....As mentioned before, I plan on a dual oil pressure measurement system.

I want to use my original gauge, which only reads on the "N" of "normal" and hook up me new Digital oil pressure gauge and sender,

Now I will see a numeric value of "N"......