Bullnose Forums

How Difficult? Mirror Swap

...the later style mirrors look out of place on a Bullnose.
It's the same door. If you were only looking at the side, and couldn't see the wheel arches or beyond, you'd have a hard time distinguishing a bullnose with the '92-96 mirror from a stock '92-96 truck. To me, it looks perfectly natural, and a LOT more usable.

We all have our own tastes and opinions, and that in itself is a good thing. Otherwise we'd all be driving the exact same trucks.

I wouldn't say that somebody "gets no points" for wanting period correct parts, it's just a personal preference. Sometimes form is preferred over function.

Having said that, I'm certainly not against upgrades and improvements. To me a 5spd manual is a good example.

I also took your advice Steve and installed a later model plastic brake master cylinder, and I couldn't be happier with it. That in my mind is a worthwhile upgrade.

But back to the mirrors...

I don't really have much preference between the small Type-5 mirrors and the more traditional Type-9 mirrors. My truck has the smaller Type-5's on it, and they are most definitely the least functional of all options, but I still like them. If my truck had had the larger Type-9 mirrors on it, I would have left it that way.

I have a mild curiosity about the Type-14 paddle style mirrors. I really like them, but they seem to be to be so rare on a Bullnose they seem out of place to me. I may order a set sometime and give them a try and see if I like the look of them. I have a couple pics saved of these mirrors installed, but they seem to be fairly uncommon on the Bullnose trucks...

E5TZ-17682-D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-Ranger-Bronco-II-Black-Mirror-1985-90-Left-Hand/274022334764?hash=item3fcd01012c:g:p-oAAOSwkLJdiUUc

That would be them. I don't know how the quality of the after market ones made by Dorman compares to genuine ford NOS, but these are the ones I have right now. OI figured at that price if I ended up hating them I wouldn't feel bad about it.

mirro3.png.d5dddb572d8e71f4201c928bae780ef5.png

That would be them. I don't know how the quality of the after market ones made by Dorman compares to genuine ford NOS, but these are the ones I have right now. OI figured at that price if I ended up hating them I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Preface: If this hijacks the thread, let me know and I'll start a new one.

Does anyone have the factory power mirrors with the lot, harness, switches, etc.?

I like what Steve83 did with later model mirrors on his Bronco, but I am partial to restoring to stock. You may recall about two years ago a NOS pair sold on Ebay; what a catch that would have been. Steve83 wrote somewhere he saw the original power mirrors a bit in JYs but I've never seen them (online). Does anyone know of where to find all the parts?

Preface: If this hijacks the thread, let me know and I'll start a new one.

Does anyone have the factory power mirrors with the lot, harness, switches, etc.?

I like what Steve83 did with later model mirrors on his Bronco, but I am partial to restoring to stock. You may recall about two years ago a NOS pair sold on Ebay; what a catch that would have been. Steve83 wrote somewhere he saw the original power mirrors a bit in JYs but I've never seen them (online). Does anyone know of where to find all the parts?

I've never seen pre-'92 F/Bronco power mirrors IRL - only pics online. I had my hands on (and may STILL have, in my junkpile) a pre-'87 door wiring harness set with factory PM wiring in it.

I understand that you may want to keep the truck looking period-correct, but how long are you willing to do without PM before you accept that you'll never find them? And remember that no one who sees your truck will know what "period-correct" really looks like. The '92-96/7 PMs are so old now, and so common on trucks that can be mistaken for bullnoses by non-enthusiasts, that anyone who sees them on your truck will think they're the right mirror for the truck. So it will still have the effect you want if you install the common, affordable, functional, reliable, repairable later mirrors, and you'll enjoy the truck more with that feature.

Another thing to note is that it's easier to swap the older mirrors (the ones you're hoping to find) onto a door with the later mirrors, than it was going the direction I did. I had holes to hide or fill; you won't - you'll add the lower holes if you ever find those mirrors, so there's no risk using the newer ones until that day.