Bullnose Forums

Replacing radius arms bushings on 83, 4x4

I’ve searched the forums, probably incorrectly, and couldn’t find what I was looking for. I’m trying to replace my ale pivot bushings and the radius arms bushings on my 1983 4x4 F150. I’ve be able to replace all except the passenger side radius arms bushings. I can’t get enough drop or rotation the clear the bracket. Do I need to remove the axle to get my droop? I looked at grinding the rivets off, but it looks like I have clearance issues with my 4 1/2” grinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

I've been able to pull the axle forward enough to get the radius arm out of the bracket. Do you have anything near you can put a comealong on to pull?

Thought about using a come-along I was worried about the stress it would place on the front end. Plus I don’t really have anything close I can confidently attach it to. I had to pry the axle pivot point down and I was barely able to get clearance to replace the bushing. Everything on the passenger side seems to have less room to move things around.

Thought about using a come-along I was worried about the stress it would place on the front end. Plus I don’t really have anything close I can confidently attach it to. I had to pry the axle pivot point down and I was barely able to get clearance to replace the bushing. Everything on the passenger side seems to have less room to move things around.

I don't think the stress is an issue. The TTB's are mounted in rubber and you are just compressing it when you pull the axle forward. So can you attach to the front of the frame or the bumper?

I don't think the stress is an issue. The TTB's are mounted in rubber and you are just compressing it when you pull the axle forward. So can you attach to the front of the frame or the bumper?
Thanks, just finished. I used the come along ripped out a chunk of the yard using a wedge anchor 😄then dug out a 150’ of chain and hooked to a tree. A little sweat and a couple curse words and job done. Thanks for your advice.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 6, 2020, at 10:40, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] wrote:

>

This job is on my list too... as well as many others!

Perfect advice! That's how I do it, too. It seems a bit rude to pull the axle that far forward with a comealong, but there's plenty of compliance on the pivot bushings.