Bullnose Forums

TransAmerica Trail -TAT

Gary, if you want this one for Big Blue, Holly will be in Bartlesville July 3rd. Just meet her in Bville and she'll give it to you. All you have to say is "MINE!!". I dont want anything for it, especially from you.

Ray - Thanks, but I think I'll watch for something with all the parts. That one looks like not only does it need cleaning and painting, but it is missing the connector and other bits - unless you have them as well.

I really don't need another project, so would probably be better off getting something that was known to work. But again, thanks. I appreciate the offer.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray - Thanks, but I think I'll watch for something with all the parts. That one looks like not only does it need cleaning and painting, but it is missing the connector and other bits - unless you have them as well.

I really don't need another project, so would probably be better off getting something that was known to work. But again, thanks. I appreciate the offer.

I understand. It looks a little rough. If I find a connector I will see if it works. There is a firestick laying around here somewhere.

I understand. It looks a little rough. If I find a connector I will see if it works. There is a firestick laying around here somewhere.

Just to add my opinion on the CB’s.

A CB on a bike, especially a small frame like a dual sport, is not going to have a very good ground plane (counterpoise). You won’t get out very far. May be hard to get a good SWR.

As for a BB CB, I’ve been impressed with the new President radios. The little President Bill I put in my Xterra got out five miles on the first contact with a “smaller” 3 foot Firestik Firefly antenna.

As a matter of fact setting up a President Bill on you bike would be cool and less expensive.

Just to add my opinion on the CB’s.

A CB on a bike, especially a small frame like a dual sport, is not going to have a very good ground plane (counterpoise). You won’t get out very far. May be hard to get a good SWR.

As for a BB CB, I’ve been impressed with the new President radios. The little President Bill I put in my Xterra got out five miles on the first contact with a “smaller” 3 foot Firestik Firefly antenna.

As a matter of fact setting up a President Bill on you bike would be cool and less expensive.

For $89 that looks like a good solution, Dane. Thanks. Would just need an antenna to make it work? So maybe a magnetic based antenna?

SWR. Haven’t played with standing wave ratios since building a meter and tuning my Heathkit way back when.

For $89 that looks like a good solution, Dane. Thanks. Would just need an antenna to make it work? So maybe a magnetic based antenna?

SWR. Haven’t played with standing wave ratios since building a meter and tuning my Heathkit way back when.

I will check out that CB. I really know nothing about CBs. I need to dive into GPS and CB info.

Also Ray, you could get a handheld, you’d just have to stop to use it.

https://www.cobra.com/collections/recreational-cb-radios/products/hh50wxst

That looks like the best option. I wont be operating anything while riding. I would need to have this or one like it mounted to the handelbars. How would I hear someone calling me though??

Only thing I can think of is an earbud. Should have a 3.5 on it. You could have the handheld in a backpack or rear bag.

Edit: Or tank bag. Backpack would probably be the best, in case you get tossed!

Also Ray, you could get a handheld, you’d just have to stop to use it.

https://www.cobra.com/collections/recreational-cb-radios/products/hh50wxst

That looks like the best option. I wont be operating anything while riding. I would need to have this or one like it mounted to the handelbars. How would I hear someone calling me though??

Only thing I can think of is an earbud. Should have a 3.5 on it. You could have the handheld in a backpack or rear bag.

Edit: Or tank bag. Backpack would probably be the best, in case you get tossed!

Gary, a mag mount antenna is good for temporary use. I have a Wilson 1000, but it’s tall. I hear good things about the Wilson Lil Wil.

If you’re going to leave the CB in (which is good, and sometimes required on group or club trail adventures), I would mount a permanent antenna.

Gary, a mag mount antenna is good for temporary use. I have a Wilson 1000, but it’s tall. I hear good things about the Wilson Lil Wil.

If you’re going to leave the CB in (which is good, and sometimes required on group or club trail adventures), I would mount a permanent antenna.

I do not like having any distraction like bluetooth, music, earbuds etc while riding. Only mechanical noises and wind. I ride with earplugs to reduce fatigue. So, does that handheld have a loud beep, or a blinky light to indicate a call?

Also, Gary, I agree with Dane on the permanent mount. Okiehomie would be okay with a mag mount, but not the hill country with low branches etc.

I hope you dont mind the risks of new dents and scratches to BB. 100% sure there will be some tight spots for a truck as big as him.

Might need to bring a chainsaw if we find a tree across the way that the winch cant move.