Bullnose Forums

TransAmerica Trail -TAT

But, I would like to see some maps, and I'm not willing to start buying them. Nor do I have a Garmin device on which to load them. I'm just looking for free maps to peruse so I can get my head around what we'd be in for.

Gary, I will take care of buying the maps.

That will be incredible!

The KLR is heavy, but a great machine. I had one. Aftermarket is huge. I like the DR650. My thought is the venerable Honda 650. Air cooled, good on the trails, lots of torque. The DR is good from what I hear, never rode one.

I believe you’re thinking is good on different parts of the country, will be tough to chose one bike. Lots of choices besides the ones mentioned. I also like the thought of a 400 or 250. I probably wouldn’t because there’s no replacement for displacement! Still true on these motors I think.

I learned to ride dirt bikes from an old off road racer, and the first time I really got the KLR off road and tried my tricks, nothing happened! I describe it as grabbing a hippo by the ears and trying to make it go where you want it to!

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That will be incredible!

The KLR is heavy, but a great machine. I had one. Aftermarket is huge. I like the DR650. My thought is the venerable Honda 650. Air cooled, good on the trails, lots of torque. The DR is good from what I hear, never rode one.

I believe you’re thinking is good on different parts of the country, will be tough to chose one bike. Lots of choices besides the ones mentioned. I also like the thought of a 400 or 250. I probably wouldn’t because there’s no replacement for displacement! Still true on these motors I think.

I learned to ride dirt bikes from an old off road racer, and the first time I really got the KLR off road and tried my tricks, nothing happened! I describe it as grabbing a hippo by the ears and trying to make it go where you want it to!

I'm going to enlist the help of Janey's cousin, Andrew Hitchings, who made it essentially around the world on his bike. Here he is, on the left, with his brother. His father probably took the pic. I'm guessing he, and they, would be invaluable in planning such a trip.

And his caption on the pic on Facebook is:

It's hard to beat conquering a mountain pass with your big brother and old man.

Expedition Round the World and Back

@adventuremototouring @advrider @bmwmotorrad @bmwmotorradusa @bmwadvriders @bmwgsfans #makelifearide #bmwmotorrad #advrider #ridetheworld #slovenia #lovekg

82812052_10101010760285200_5314849564388229120_o.thumb.jpg.cd4ab2d0f7dba3919b80c40e02bebe56.jpg

I'm going to enlist the help of Janey's cousin, Andrew Hitchings, who made it essentially around the world on his bike. Here he is, on the left, with his brother. His father probably took the pic. I'm guessing he, and they, would be invaluable in planning such a trip.

@adventuremototouring @advrider @bmwmotorrad @bmwmotorradusa @bmwadvriders @bmwgsfans #makelifearide #bmwmotorrad #advrider #ridetheworld #slovenia #lovekg

This is gaining traction!

I feel so bad, a long time friend of mine was just talking to me about this. Just a minute ago on the phone. Hands free in his mercedes....i hope I wasnt distracting him...but he just ran into a Land Rover!! I think its destiny my buddy Cliff go on this trip...I mean...we all laugh at that Jay Leno video that a proper 4x4 is not a Land Rover....and as soon as we laugh about that my bud Cliff runs into one. It is an OMEN. Had to let him go real quick, but sounds like maybe a parking lot bump instead of a high speed collision.

Lets all be rootin for Cliff.

Also, yes the KLR is a hippo. I love the Ewing McGregor Charlie Boorman Long Way Round videos....but they were 90% out of their minds doing that journey on such big bikes. 1200GS is a great bike, but not in sand, mud, and Russian river crossings.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n62607/82812052_10101010760285200_5314849564388229120_o.jpg

Did these guys ride those bikes in the tough stuff? My lord...a KLR is cumbersome enough. Those GS bikes are BEASTS to pick up.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n62607/82812052_10101010760285200_5314849564388229120_o.jpg

Did these guys ride those bikes in the tough stuff? My lord...a KLR is cumbersome enough. Those GS bikes are BEASTS to pick up.

Go read about Andrew's round-the-world trip. By himself.

Yes, they took those bikes in some pretty rough places.

Go read about Andrew's round-the-world trip. By himself.

Yes, they took those bikes in some pretty rough places.

My hat is off to him. Im 6'4" tall and not very strong, so the idea of picking up a gs bike kills my enthusiasm.

Which brings me to a good point. I am also embarking on a strength training schedule to gain strength for these trips.

My hat is off to him. Im 6'4" tall and not very strong, so the idea of picking up a gs bike kills my enthusiasm.

Which brings me to a good point. I am also embarking on a strength training schedule to gain strength for these trips.

I tried to watch Long Way Around, but there were kids in the house when I tried. McGregor and Boorman think the f word is an adjective!

I tried to watch Long Way Around, but there were kids in the house when I tried. McGregor and Boorman think the f word is an adjective!

Yeah...maybe not the best thing to watch round the youngin's. But those guys sure enjoyed themselves, heavy GS bikes or not, they sure had the time of their lives getting them out of some deep mud and sand...

I think the power those bikes have can compensate for some aspects of some of the technical type riding. Its just the price tag on them is too rich for my blood. If I paid $15,000+ for a motorcycle, I couldn't take it off road. My choice is a $2500-$5000 dual sport that I can throw away when done...lol.

I learned something several years ago after starting to ride. Someone said it somewhere, maybe on ADVrider.net, "Id rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." I honestly can say that I agree with that statement. Low HP high torque single cylinder motorcycles share an attitude with the 300 I6. That slow yet strong, enjoy the ride, minimalistic type attitude is what I like.

Yeah...maybe not the best thing to watch round the youngin's. But those guys sure enjoyed themselves, heavy GS bikes or not, they sure had the time of their lives getting them out of some deep mud and sand...

I think the power those bikes have can compensate for some aspects of some of the technical type riding. Its just the price tag on them is too rich for my blood. If I paid $15,000+ for a motorcycle, I couldn't take it off road. My choice is a $2500-$5000 dual sport that I can throw away when done...lol.

I learned something several years ago after starting to ride. Someone said it somewhere, maybe on ADVrider.net, "Id rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." I honestly can say that I agree with that statement. Low HP high torque single cylinder motorcycles share an attitude with the 300 I6. That slow yet strong, enjoy the ride, minimalistic type attitude is what I like.

One of my favorite bikes was an XL350. It wasn't fast, but the torque was like a tractor. Loved it, despite the vibes the single gave.

One of my favorite bikes was an XL350. It wasn't fast, but the torque was like a tractor. Loved it, despite the vibes the single gave.

That shows your age Gary...when did they stop making those? Before I was born I believe. lol

Anyway, I have drummed up some interest in the motorcycle portion of this trip. Cliff seemed interested before he decided to smash a Land Rover...he's okay by the way. Minor rear-ender. Sheww that was close.

Also, I have a bud that I used to work with at Remington Arms, Chod (not Chad, Chod), who has expressed interest in a short trip this year, and maybe a longer one next year. I think if I can get out with Chod this year on a new to me bike, I can do some shake down tests for gear and comfort mods. He is up in Ohio, so not sure what our plans are yet, if they ever will fruit, but maybe him and I could do Jellico, or maybe West Virginia...I think he said he is up near Dayton or Columbus....maybe I can get Chod on this forum to join in the planning.

And I have another bud, Matt, who said "I'll look into it." We work together, and I have been eggin him on for awhile now to go do something epic with me. Maybe I can get him along. Chod has a few bikes, Matt doesn't have one currently. Last I checked, Chod had a XR650L, and a V-Strom...I think he said he had a cruiser too, but its been a little while since we talked about it.