Bullnose Forums

TransAmerica Trail -TAT

Gary, I think because we know more about the area, we should make our own route until we see everything we should see along the northern side of OK.

The furthest western point in OK that I am aware of that should be included is Little Sahara.

So...working from Skiatook....

Point A: Skiatook.

Point B: Tall Grass Prairie

Point C: Salt Flats in Jet OK

Point D: Little Sahara

After Point D, if there is no other attractions in North West OK, I say we beeline it to GPSKevins nearest point from Little Sahara and head for Colorado.

Update on the XR650L. I have pulled the wire harness out up to the tank, rerouted it so I can relocate the battery. I ordered a lighter Shorai Lithoum Iron batterh. I discovered the factory battery was still in the battery box.

So, I removed the battery box, and in its place I will be making a large diameter tool tube. Tire irons, spare tubes, handtools, and a few other little things that will help me get going on repairs if I am way ahead of the trucks, or cant get in contact for some reason.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, I think because we know more about the area, we should make our own route until we see everything we should see along the northern side of OK.

The furthest western point in OK that I am aware of that should be included is Little Sahara.

So...working from Skiatook....

Point A: Skiatook.

Point B: Tall Grass Prairie

Point C: Salt Flats in Jet OK

Point D: Little Sahara

After Point D, if there is no other attractions in North West OK, I say we beeline it to GPSKevins nearest point from Little Sahara and head for Colorado.

Ray - I think that's a reasonable approach. I'll lay out GPSKevin's route first as he's found, supposedly dirt/gravel roads, and then see where we want to deviate to hit those locations.

As for the changes on the bike, I think a lithium ion battery would save a lot of weight as well as free up some room. Didn't know that is an option. Cool!

Ray - I think that's a reasonable approach. I'll lay out GPSKevin's route first as he's found, supposedly dirt/gravel roads, and then see where we want to deviate to hit those locations.

As for the changes on the bike, I think a lithium ion battery would save a lot of weight as well as free up some room. Didn't know that is an option. Cool!

Gary, I have been looking at your map above. I'm confused. Why is there a track going from Hulah Lake along the OK KS boarder? Maybe I missed a post....

Gary, I have been looking at your map above. I'm confused. Why is there a track going from Hulah Lake along the OK KS boarder? Maybe I missed a post....

Oh, nevermind, I see what you did. I had my reference point way off....I thought this was further west. I see GPSKevin's point A to the north side of Dewey/Bville now. Gotcha

....As for the changes on the bike, I think a lithium ion battery would save a lot of weight as well as free up some room. Didn't know that is an option. Cool!

Yes, the replacement battery is about 1.5lbs. The stock Lead Acid is I think 7 or 8 lbs. Minus the weight of the battery box, the battery relocation equals about -10lbs from the bike, and that is off the back end up high. The new battery, starter relay, fuse panel, and CDI module are now located under my butt. The CDI module is now inside the airbox, which will help keep it a little cooler. So, that moves the weight to a more desirable location. Also, I will be using the weight loss as an excuse to carry a tool tube in the battery box's old location. Plus 10 lbs of tools. So, actual weight savings will be nil. But I gained the ability to carry a few goodies without any change in weight or detrimental effects on handling.

....As for the changes on the bike, I think a lithium ion battery would save a lot of weight as well as free up some room. Didn't know that is an option. Cool!

Yes, the replacement battery is about 1.5lbs. The stock Lead Acid is I think 7 or 8 lbs. Minus the weight of the battery box, the battery relocation equals about -10lbs from the bike, and that is off the back end up high. The new battery, starter relay, fuse panel, and CDI module are now located under my butt. The CDI module is now inside the airbox, which will help keep it a little cooler. So, that moves the weight to a more desirable location. Also, I will be using the weight loss as an excuse to carry a tool tube in the battery box's old location. Plus 10 lbs of tools. So, actual weight savings will be nil. But I gained the ability to carry a few goodies without any change in weight or detrimental effects on handling.

Another update on the XR650L....I really should name the bike....I'll take suggestions....

Anyway, I just ordered more parts.

-Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank.

-13 tooth and 16 tooth countershaft sprockets. Stock is 15.

-Batch of oil filters

-Skid Plate (on backorder)

-Tank Graphics

-UNI Open cell foam Air filter.

Another update on the XR650L....I really should name the bike....I'll take suggestions....

Anyway, I just ordered more parts.

-Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank.

-13 tooth and 16 tooth countershaft sprockets. Stock is 15.

-Batch of oil filters

-Skid Plate (on backorder)

-Tank Graphics

-UNI Open cell foam Air filter.

Glad you figured it out. I don't seem to be able to change the color of a route, so hope to keep GPSKevin's markers green and ours blue. But I thought it would be helpful to have his route on there and use it as much as we can, and deviate only to go to the locations we want to see.

On the bike, having a few tools with you is a very good thing. Hopefully you'll get plenty of riding in 'twixt now and then and they may come in handy.

As for names, how 'bout Bull? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Glad you figured it out. I don't seem to be able to change the color of a route, so hope to keep GPSKevin's markers green and ours blue. But I thought it would be helpful to have his route on there and use it as much as we can, and deviate only to go to the locations we want to see.

On the bike, having a few tools with you is a very good thing. Hopefully you'll get plenty of riding in 'twixt now and then and they may come in handy.

As for names, how 'bout Bull? :nabble_smiley_evil:

If I call it Bull....I have to get a mini set of bull horns for it...

The Red Mule!?

In the Honda XR650L world, they are known as Pigs. I guess because they are the biggest heaviest "dualsport" dirtbike you can buy.....that is STILL a dirtbike and not some amalgamation of street/dirt bike like a KLR. The Suzuki DR650 still is setup like a dirtbike....kind of. But has CRAP stock suspension.

So....I think a Bull+ a Mule+ a Pig= a Rhinosaurus? Hahaha