Bullnose Forums

TransAmerica Trail -TAT

You'll also need to add at least a day to the trip 'cause I had you booking it from western CO to home in two days. But if you have trucks and trailers it'll add at least a full day, if not more.

Mind you, I think that's the smart way to do it as adding that many more miles on a bike wouldn't be fun.

Gary, the Bill is very light, good candidate for overhead.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary, the Bill is very light, good candidate for overhead.

Thanks, Dane. That looks like a good option. I don't expect to be making long transmissions with it, and that's where the heat would be generated. So in receive mode it shouldn't run hot.

Ray - It'll already look like that by the end of the trip.

Thanks, Dane. That looks like a good option. I don't expect to be making long transmissions with it, and that's where the heat would be generated. So in receive mode it shouldn't run hot.

Ray - It'll already look like that by the end of the trip.

You're probably right Gary, however, I will do whatever I can to NOT get monkey butt.

So, I am in Winchester KY right now eating breakfast, im about to go look at this XR650L. Hopefully its as clean as it looks in the photos.

You're probably right Gary, however, I will do whatever I can to NOT get monkey butt.

So, I am in Winchester KY right now eating breakfast, im about to go look at this XR650L. Hopefully its as clean as it looks in the photos.

This just got serious guys. Just got it home. And she is a beauty. Seller was a great guy. He had a couple other nice bikes too. He and his wife were excited when I shared the plans for the trip with them.

20200603_122212.jpg.50f5e9ef4aa6a0289c9ee9f9c5b5865c.jpg

Okay. So I wont go into detail on this site about mods. But I will share some photos after the bike is complete for this trip.

This just got serious guys. Just got it home. And she is a beauty. Seller was a great guy. He had a couple other nice bikes too. He and his wife were excited when I shared the plans for the trip with them.

Okay. So I wont go into detail on this site about mods. But I will share some photos after the bike is complete for this trip.

Nice!

Wish I could ride, dadgummit! :nabble_smiley_angry:

Why not go into what you plan to do to the bike on here? I have a thread on water rockets. And I did on the boat's batteries. Bill has his Lebaron. Etc.

Anyway, congrat's!

Why not go into what you plan to do to the bike on here? I have a thread on water rockets. And I did on the boat's batteries. Bill has his Lebaron. Etc.

Anyway, congrat's!

Well...alrighty then...I will.

So, today I tinkered on the XR.

-Removed the muffler baffle.

-Removed the intake snorkle.

-Removed the smog system.

-Modified idle mixture screw in order to turn it out more to enrichen idle.

-Drill the CV carb slide vacuum holes for snappier throttle response.

-Shimmed the main needle to help enrichen the a/f under throttle.

-I think I removed about 3 or 4 lbs from the bike.

I am ordering new idle and main jets. Going to get a few sizes and keep increasing until the bike starts bogging. Then I will step back 2 sizes. This should allow me to still run at higher altitudes in Colorado. Obviously, once we reach the highest altitudes I may experience idle and performance issues...but I need to jet it to where it will still run acceptably at higher alts.

Next mods will focus on making the bike fit me better, and make it more funtional for the Bull Run.

Next Up

-Lower pegs

-Bash Plate

-Pannier Rack system

-Upgraded countershaft Sprocket.

-Case savers

-Sheep Skin for anti-monkey butt

So, today I tinkered on the XR.

-Removed the muffler baffle.

-Removed the intake snorkle.

-Removed the smog system.

-Modified idle mixture screw in order to turn it out more to enrichen idle.

-Drill the CV carb slide vacuum holes for snappier throttle response.

-Shimmed the main needle to help enrichen the a/f under throttle.

-I think I removed about 3 or 4 lbs from the bike.

I am ordering new idle and main jets. Going to get a few sizes and keep increasing until the bike starts bogging. Then I will step back 2 sizes. This should allow me to still run at higher altitudes in Colorado. Obviously, once we reach the highest altitudes I may experience idle and performance issues...but I need to jet it to where it will still run acceptably at higher alts.

Next mods will focus on making the bike fit me better, and make it more funtional for the Bull Run.

Next Up

-Lower pegs

-Bash Plate

-Pannier Rack system

-Upgraded countershaft Sprocket.

-Case savers

-Sheep Skin for anti-monkey butt

On removing that baffle, some places require a spark arrestor. Like USFS, or some state agencies on trails.

On removing that baffle, some places require a spark arrestor. Like USFS, or some state agencies on trails.

Yes, I am aware. It is not a spark arrestor. It is only a mini glasspack. Its literally constructed just like a glasspack. The spark arrestor is still inside the muffler.