Bullnose Forums

TransAmerica Trail -TAT

A lot of people like windsheilds on dual sports. Im the opposite. Id rather have linear air hitting my helmet, and keeping my chest cool.

About the headlight. It has left a lot of wires and connectors exposed. I think I am going to get some red or black vinyl, and make a custom faux leather like cover. Ive never seen anything like it, just an idea I just had.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Ray. Good before and after, and I like the round old-school headlight far better. :nabble_smiley_good:

It looks round. But its actually round with two flat sides. What do you call that shape?? Its not an oval....its not a circle....it IS the shape of a classic Oval-Track in racing....not sure what the heck that shape is called.

Here's some more pics of the headliner Gary.

The space above the driver's visor should be perfect for switches, just not sure how your wires would be routed, it's pretty tight/flush at the top of the A-pillar. Long way round through the dome light would be best for the wires, but I'm sure you'll figure something out.

And the radio mounts with a piece of foam between it and the tray and then between it and the headliner. I'll hopefully have a pic with it installed next week when I hope to have my interior tied up. I did not want to mount the radio without the trim to support it installed. Oh, and the tray/bracket does not come pre-cut, which is good if you plan on mounting a smaller CB radio.

Sorry you had to wait, I only got down to the garage yesterday. I've been pressure washing concrete all week...

Rob - Thanks! That was fast. There's no hurry.

But you nailed it. Answers a lot of questions.

As for the wires, I think routing through the back is the way to go.

Here's some more pics of the headliner Gary.

The space above the driver's visor should be perfect for switches, just not sure how your wires would be routed, it's pretty tight/flush at the top of the A-pillar. Long way round through the dome light would be best for the wires, but I'm sure you'll figure something out.

And the radio mounts with a piece of foam between it and the tray and then between it and the headliner. I'll hopefully have a pic with it installed next week when I hope to have my interior tied up. I did not want to mount the radio without the trim to support it installed. Oh, and the tray/bracket does not come pre-cut, which is good if you plan on mounting a smaller CB radio.

Sorry you had to wait, I only got down to the garage yesterday. I've been pressure washing concrete all week...

I haven't kept up with exactly what is being looked for here but I've ran across this product in the past. I've read some complaints based on the height of the driver as well as the practicality of it so I only bring it up because it might provide a simple platform/concept to build off of.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/shelf-it

section-image-5e737ecba71511.png.22c7e3c9fe41ac29fd1e3d63e3be48e9.png

I haven't kept up with exactly what is being looked for here but I've ran across this product in the past. I've read some complaints based on the height of the driver as well as the practicality of it so I only bring it up because it might provide a simple platform/concept to build off of.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/shelf-it

Scott - Thanks, but that looks like it would drop the visors a couple of inches, and I don't think I'd like that.

The highliner only drops the visors the thickness of the ABS, which has to be only an 1/8" or so, and I kind of like that.

I need to figure out what switches I need and if the radio bezel is going to provide enough space for them. If not, some might go in the highliner.

It looks round. But its actually round with two flat sides. What do you call that shape?? Its not an oval....its not a circle....it IS the shape of a classic Oval-Track in racing....not sure what the heck that shape is called.

Round ends with flat sides is an oval. The shape that is all curves that people often call an oval (but isn't) is an ellipse.

Round ends with flat sides is an oval. The shape that is all curves that people often call an oval (but isn't) is an ellipse.
Yesterday we went to the Tall Grass Prairie and I noted which roads go where. And now I'm working on creating a map we can use for planning.

The one below is an early version and only has two sections on it:

• GPSKevin's Route: The green markers and the associated A on the KS/OK line to the B is GPSKevin's route - as far as I've plotted it

• The blue marker and associated A in the lower right is the east end of OK 4220 Road, and the B to the NW is the visitor's center for the Tall Grass Prairie. Then C is Foraker, and D is Newkirk, which was the target for this section of GPSKevin's Section 22.

I need to figure out how to color GPSKevin's route something like green and ours blue, or vice versa. Anyone know how to do that on Google Maps?

Anyway, I thought this would be a good way to map it out and share it. Thoughts?

Oh yes. I was born in Arkansas City, which shows at the top left. And Janey and I lived 12 years in Ponca City, which shows on the lower left. We spent many, MANY hours on Kaw Lake right about where the "y" is of Kaw City. And my brother, who still lives in Arkansas City, has a cabin about where the "77" is north of Newkirk. IOW, that's my stomping grounds.

Yesterday we went to the Tall Grass Prairie and I noted which roads go where. And now I'm working on creating a map we can use for planning.

• GPSKevin's Route: The green markers and the associated A on the KS/OK line to the B is GPSKevin's route - as far as I've plotted it

• The blue marker and associated A in the lower right is the east end of OK 4220 Road, and the B to the NW is the visitor's center for the Tall Grass Prairie. Then C is Foraker, and D is Newkirk, which was the target for this section of GPSKevin's Section 22.

I need to figure out how to color GPSKevin's route something like green and ours blue, or vice versa. Anyone know how to do that on Google Maps?

Anyway, I thought this would be a good way to map it out and share it. Thoughts?

Oh yes. I was born in Arkansas City, which shows at the top left. And Janey and I lived 12 years in Ponca City, which shows on the lower left. We spent many, MANY hours on Kaw Lake right about where the "y" is of Kaw City. And my brother, who still lives in Arkansas City, has a cabin about where the "77" is north of Newkirk. IOW, that's my stomping grounds.

Oops, orgot I was logged in as Test. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ray - We need to figure out how to discuss/decide on the route. As you can see, I've been working on a map that should facilitate that discussion. But the map is going to evolve over time, so each time you refresh it I'd bet it'll change.For instance, this morning I added GPSKevin's route from near Hulah to where it intersects with what I'd come up with due east of Newkirk.However, I then realized that I could bring my starting point, the "A", up north a bit. But, that begs these questions: Does it matter where we start from? Can that be Skiatook? If so, how badly do we want to meet up with GPSKevin's route prior to where they join?If we can start in Skiatook and join up with his route after the Tall Grass Prairie, then I can start looking for ways from here via dirt/gravel roads to that point.

Ray - We need to figure out how to discuss/decide on the route. As you can see, I've been working on a map that should facilitate that discussion. But the map is going to evolve over time, so each time you refresh it I'd bet it'll change.

For instance, this morning I added GPSKevin's route from near Hulah to where it intersects with what I'd come up with due east of Newkirk.

However, I then realized that I could bring my starting point, the "A", up north a bit. But, that begs these questions: Does it matter where we start from? Can that be Skiatook? If so, how badly do we want to meet up with GPSKevin's route prior to where they join?

If we can start in Skiatook and join up with his route after the Tall Grass Prairie, then I can start looking for ways from here via dirt/gravel roads to that point.

Gary, I think because we know more about the area, we should make our own route until we see everything we should see along the northern side of OK.

The furthest western point in OK that I am aware of that should be included is Little Sahara.

So...working from Skiatook....

Point A: Skiatook.

Point B: Tall Grass Prairie

Point C: Salt Flats in Jet OK

Point D: Little Sahara

After Point D, if there is no other attractions in North West OK, I say we beeline it to GPSKevins nearest point from Little Sahara and head for Colorado.