Bullnose Forums

TransAmerica Trail -TAT

I do not like having any distraction like bluetooth, music, earbuds etc while riding. Only mechanical noises and wind. I ride with earplugs to reduce fatigue. So, does that handheld have a loud beep, or a blinky light to indicate a call?

Also, Gary, I agree with Dane on the permanent mount. Okiehomie would be okay with a mag mount, but not the hill country with low branches etc.

I hope you dont mind the risks of new dents and scratches to BB. 100% sure there will be some tight spots for a truck as big as him.

Might need to bring a chainsaw if we find a tree across the way that the winch cant move.

Ive got a good running 18" Poulan....I think its a 60 or 65cc. It handles large logs for the sawmill just fine. I'll make sure its tuned up perfectly for the trip and bring it along, if you dont have one youd rather use.

Ive got a good running 18" Poulan....I think its a 60 or 65cc. It handles large logs for the sawmill just fine. I'll make sure its tuned up perfectly for the trip and bring it along, if you dont have one youd rather use.

That will work, Ray. But my plan has been to take my battery powered reciprocating saw with a long blade. It does as well as a chain saw for one-off use.

And, since Big Blue will have serious 110v power I'll be able to recharge the batteries. Which are also used for the impact.

That will work, Ray. But my plan has been to take my battery powered reciprocating saw with a long blade. It does as well as a chain saw for one-off use.

And, since Big Blue will have serious 110v power I'll be able to recharge the batteries. Which are also used for the impact.

If that sawzall cant handle a bigger log, surely we can move it with the winch. If its bigger than the winch or sawzall can handle....we can find a different route I suppose.

I do not like having any distraction like bluetooth, music, earbuds etc while riding. Only mechanical noises and wind. I ride with earplugs to reduce fatigue. So, does that handheld have a loud beep, or a blinky light to indicate a call?

I agree completely. I was going to say I wouldn’t want to be hookin’ it on a trail and hearing someone on your channel wanting to know where’s the best cheeseburger in these parts!

Maybe a light, but I doubt you’d see it.

I would use it as a way for you to get ahold of the others, the others can wait for you to transmit.

I would carry it and pull it out when I stop or need something. You don’t need distractions on the bike.

If that sawzall cant handle a bigger log, surely we can move it with the winch. If its bigger than the winch or sawzall can handle....we can find a different route I suppose.

Yes, big trees we'll pull out of the way, and little ones we'll cut up.

As for dents, I try to avoid them but they are inevitable. Some year I'll have Big Blue's bodywork done right, removing the body putty and rust and then repainted. But now I want to use him.

On the antenna, I like the Wilson 1000 which can go on the roof. However, if I put a rack on with a tent on top I'll have a place to permanently mount an antenna. But I'm not sure that a mag-mount in the middle of the cab roof wouldn't have a better ground plane than a permanent mount on a rack.

As for the unit itself, what do y'all think about the Cobra 75 WX ST? Or Uniden PRO520XL? I think I like the idea of an all-in-one rather than having another unit to mount under the dash.

Yes, big trees we'll pull out of the way, and little ones we'll cut up.

As for dents, I try to avoid them but they are inevitable. Some year I'll have Big Blue's bodywork done right, removing the body putty and rust and then repainted. But now I want to use him.

On the antenna, I like the Wilson 1000 which can go on the roof. However, if I put a rack on with a tent on top I'll have a place to permanently mount an antenna. But I'm not sure that a mag-mount in the middle of the cab roof wouldn't have a better ground plane than a permanent mount on a rack.

As for the unit itself, what do y'all think about the Cobra 75 WX ST? Or Uniden PRO520XL? I think I like the idea of an all-in-one rather than having another unit to mount under the dash.

Update on the motorcycle. Ive made an offer on one in Ohio with 7 miles on it. Yes. A 2013 XR650L with 7 miles. The guy bought it, then his parents got ill, then his aunt, then he had a baby....he put 1 mile on it a year. Its almost too good to be true. So, I wont hold my breath

Update on the motorcycle. Ive made an offer on one in Ohio with 7 miles on it. Yes. A 2013 XR650L with 7 miles. The guy bought it, then his parents got ill, then his aunt, then he had a baby....he put 1 mile on it a year. Its almost too good to be true. So, I wont hold my breath

Also, picked up a new helmet and gloves. Helmet is Modular, with flip down tinted sunshade.

20200529_133459.jpg.41b913ac7e6d982469e851c0f389fe05.jpg

20200529_133519.jpg.db51525e89f8dbfb6eaaf1f8c54e0639.jpg

Also, picked up a new helmet and gloves. Helmet is Modular, with flip down tinted sunshade.

Subscribed. Good luck with the offer. I ride a 1990 DR250 for my summer daily commute so interested to see what you get and how you like it.

Subscribed. Good luck with the offer. I ride a 1990 DR250 for my summer daily commute so interested to see what you get and how you like it.

Scott, no luck yet. So, I have owned a 2009 KLR and a 2013 DR650. I also flew to Denver and rode a highly modded DR650 throw the rockies around Estes Park area. Ever heard of Wolfman motorcycle gear? I got to ride the owner of that companys old bike. He sold it to a guy on ADVRider who runs a motorcycle rental in Boulder. If I remember it was punched out, jetted, FMF exhaust, all the performance goodies. I could pull the front wheel easily. My 2013 was not so peppy. I would not hesitate to get another DR650. Iam sort of just wanting to try out the XR650L. Its more TAT friendly if you ask me. Lighter than the DR. more suspension travel. Pretty cool looking too. I like its looks a little more than the DR.

I have the Cobra 75. It’s in a box with two other older radios. I would not recommend it. Doesn’t have good transmit or reception and hard to hear the little speaker. There maybe a external speaker plug, but I don’t like it. I’ve heard some do like it and its great for space. Had it in my old 4Runner and took it out. Gave it another chance in the Xterra and didn’t work out.

Now that I think about it, there is an external speaker plug in the unit you put under a seat or under the dash. Technically not all in one IMO. I tried it in the Xterra.