Bullnose Forums

TransAmerica Trail -TAT

I tried to watch Long Way Around, but there were kids in the house when I tried. McGregor and Boorman think the f word is an adjective!

Yeah...maybe not the best thing to watch round the youngin's. But those guys sure enjoyed themselves, heavy GS bikes or not, they sure had the time of their lives getting them out of some deep mud and sand...

I think the power those bikes have can compensate for some aspects of some of the technical type riding. Its just the price tag on them is too rich for my blood. If I paid $15,000+ for a motorcycle, I couldn't take it off road. My choice is a $2500-$5000 dual sport that I can throw away when done...lol.

I learned something several years ago after starting to ride. Someone said it somewhere, maybe on ADVrider.net, "Id rather ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow." I honestly can say that I agree with that statement. Low HP high torque single cylinder motorcycles share an attitude with the 300 I6. That slow yet strong, enjoy the ride, minimalistic type attitude is what I like.

That’s what I like about those big singles! Lots of grunt!

Of all the bikes I had the KLR650 was my favorite. It just felt right.

That’s what I like about those big singles! Lots of grunt!

Of all the bikes I had the KLR650 was my favorite. It just felt right.

Yeah, I loved my KLR also. Just too heavy for the offroad stuff. At 6'4", they fit me just right, when a lot of guys have trouble reaching the ground.

Sign me up! This has been on my bucket list for a long time. Agree about the KLR650 weight. I'd be looking at a DR650 or XL650 as a replacement.

Some day...

Dennis, I somehow missed your post? What part are you in for? A truck run from Skiatook to Moab, or a MC adventure?

One of my favorite bikes was an XL350. It wasn't fast, but the torque was like a tractor. Loved it, despite the vibes the single gave.

That shows your age Gary...when did they stop making those? Before I was born I believe. lol

Anyway, I have drummed up some interest in the motorcycle portion of this trip. Cliff seemed interested before he decided to smash a Land Rover...he's okay by the way. Minor rear-ender. Sheww that was close.

Also, I have a bud that I used to work with at Remington Arms, Chod (not Chad, Chod), who has expressed interest in a short trip this year, and maybe a longer one next year. I think if I can get out with Chod this year on a new to me bike, I can do some shake down tests for gear and comfort mods. He is up in Ohio, so not sure what our plans are yet, if they ever will fruit, but maybe him and I could do Jellico, or maybe West Virginia...I think he said he is up near Dayton or Columbus....maybe I can get Chod on this forum to join in the planning.

And I have another bud, Matt, who said "I'll look into it." We work together, and I have been eggin him on for awhile now to go do something epic with me. Maybe I can get him along. Chod has a few bikes, Matt doesn't have one currently. Last I checked, Chod had a XR650L, and a V-Strom...I think he said he had a cruiser too, but its been a little while since we talked about it.

Wikipedia says the XL350 was made from '74 to '87. Mine was the '74, all of which looked like this:

507px-1974-Honda-XL350K0-Blue12-6.jpg.75a07931ef233ec306d5f8abadfc7428.jpg

Thats a cool bike Gary. It would be fun to ride a vintage bike on the TAT.

Yes, it would be cool to have one of them now. And it might be fun to ride it on a trip like that. But, I think taking Big Blue will make me quite happy.

Just spoke with my son, and he would like to go, although that's not a commitment. However, he will help me deck out BB to make the trip.

Yes, it would be cool to have one of them now. And it might be fun to ride it on a trip like that. But, I think taking Big Blue will make me quite happy.

Just spoke with my son, and he would like to go, although that's not a commitment. However, he will help me deck out BB to make the trip.

WooHoo!!! Here we go boys. Gary, what is your son's name again?

........and I am making offers on bikes right now. Hope to have one in the coming weeks. I think I am aiming at the DR650. I know them, I like their simplicity, reputation, and feel comfortable fixing anything that may come up with it.

........and I am making offers on bikes right now. Hope to have one in the coming weeks. I think I am aiming at the DR650. I know them, I like their simplicity, reputation, and feel comfortable fixing anything that may come up with it.

Bret. But I don't think you met him. I think you met my SiL TJ.

I sent him a link to this thread as well as to the TAT, so he may comment. But, he's extremely busy at work so my guess he'll just do some reading.

So this is what I am going for. THis is a modified DR650. I like the dual headlight vs the single rectangluar one. And the bigger gas tank.

dr650.jpg.adbf47c955b4660b5ccba5e9f001d1f9.jpg