Bullnose Forums

1985.5 F150 5.0 fuel regulator

sgauvry

I figured I may be the only Canucklehead here! Would you be surprised if I said I was not really a hockey fan?

Yup, names look right.

On pressure regulators, I believe that frame mounted Bosch pump is capable of 100 psi. The regulator on the fuel rail keeps it around 40 psi by bleeding the excess pressure off and back to the tank via the return lines. I don't think adding an extra regulator would accomplish anything. The OEM part does work quite well and the only thing you could actually do is pre-regulate the pressure to something above the 40 psi required by the injectors.

As to adding a gauge, how about using a later fuel rail which has the valve for pressure testing?

I'm currently deep in a diagnostic project on an 89 truck that I'm trying to resurrect from the dead. It has a fuel pressure leakdown problem and I'm getting all to familiar with the fuel delivery components.

Hi Ray -

You know, you've caused me to think a bit. It's not really the pressure from the hp pump I want to measure, it's the fuel pressure in the fuel rail itself. Right?

The only thing a schrader valve will do, if set up just before the fuel rail, is measure the flow from the hp pump. That's not really useful unless I am concerned that the hp pump is working as it should. Right?

There's the overflow stem at the back of the fuel rail, but if I connect the schrader valve to that, the only thing I'm measuring is overflow. Correct? Or does the overflow experience as much fuel pressure as the rest of the rail? I suspect not.

So, the only options for me is to splice the rear fuel line as shown in the pic, or replace the rail itself with a later model as you suggest. Or am I missing something here?

Schrader_valve_placement.thumb.jpg.886e63789a932e06968835a275afbef6.jpg

Steve

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ray -

You know, you've caused me to think a bit. It's not really the pressure from the hp pump I want to measure, it's the fuel pressure in the fuel rail itself. Right?

The only thing a schrader valve will do, if set up just before the fuel rail, is measure the flow from the hp pump. That's not really useful unless I am concerned that the hp pump is working as it should. Right?

There's the overflow stem at the back of the fuel rail, but if I connect the schrader valve to that, the only thing I'm measuring is overflow. Correct? Or does the overflow experience as much fuel pressure as the rest of the rail? I suspect not.

So, the only options for me is to splice the rear fuel line as shown in the pic, or replace the rail itself with a later model as you suggest. Or am I missing something here?

Steve

Obviously I'm not Ray, but I agree with what you said. And, if was me I'd find a later factory rail that has the valve in it.

Obviously I'm not Ray, but I agree with what you said. And, if was me I'd find a later factory rail that has the valve in it.
Thanks, Gary!  What year did Ford start including the valve in the rails?

Steve

Steven A. Gauvry

4918 Shasta Way

Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

redacted_email_address

The law stirs the mud at the bottom of the pool, and proves how foul the waters are. The law compels the man to see that sin dwelleth in him, and that it is a powerful tyrant over his nature. All this is with a view to his cure. God be thanked when the Law so works as to take off from the sinner all confidence in himself! To make the leper confess that he is incurable is going a great way toward compelling him to go to that divine Saviour, who alone is able to heal him. This is the object and end of the Law toward men whom God will save.

SPURGEON

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 10:23 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

I can't answer the question of when the Schrader valve was installed. However, I did put up the part numbers for the fuel manifolds/rails (Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/EFI) and you can see that there was a two-piece design for your '85, and then a one-piece design for 1986. But, there was another change for 1987 and following. So, I can't tell if they introduced the valve for '86 or '87.

I can't answer the question of when the Schrader valve was installed. However, I did put up the part numbers for the fuel manifolds/rails (Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/EFI) and you can see that there was a two-piece design for your '85, and then a one-piece design for 1986. But, there was another change for 1987 and following. So, I can't tell if they introduced the valve for '86 or '87.
Thanks, Gary!  I've been searching on the net.  eBay offers a variety of rails (used) for mustangs of the 86 - 90's vintage, some with a schrader valve in the rail.  I also saw a few setups where the metal fuel lines were included and the schrader valve is actually in the fuel line.  A little nervous about purchasing any of those.  

I suppose that if the regulator works as it should, then fuel rail pressure is a given, which may explain why some have it in the fuel line instead of in the rail.  

I'm leaning toward splicing one into the hose connection between the two rails.  

All part of the learning curve...

Steve

Steven A. Gauvry

4918 Shasta Way

Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

redacted_email_address

The law stirs the mud at the bottom of the pool, and proves how foul the waters are. The law compels the man to see that sin dwelleth in him, and that it is a powerful tyrant over his nature. All this is with a view to his cure. God be thanked when the Law so works as to take off from the sinner all confidence in himself! To make the leper confess that he is incurable is going a great way toward compelling him to go to that divine Saviour, who alone is able to heal him. This is the object and end of the Law toward men whom God will save.

SPURGEON

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

• 4 weeks later...

Best kind b'y...... Snowing here ....

I added a Shrader Valve in the line coming from the HP pump, but like your idea to put it closer to the rails on the crossover line. Better reading I would say.

We got about 10 inches Tuesday (started around 2 PM) into Wednesday (ended about 8:00 PM), but on Thursday it was 45 and about half of what we got melted. Temps hovering around 42 the last two days.

Like your idea regarding the schrader valve. I didn't implement the idea. Located mine before the rail with a permanent gauge.

Having trouble now with wiring regarding my in-tank fuel pump. Did the testing for voltage at the relay and to check for working fuel pump relay. All checked out. Seems to be a dead connection to wiring to the in-tank fuel pump connector. 0v registered. No fuel being delivered. Have Bill, Ray, and Gary in on this one. We believe the problem is isolated to the wiring downstream from the hp pump. I can hear the hp pump engage when the ignition key is on. But there is 0volts getting to the in-line pump.

Hopefully, that's just a small bump in the road.

Hope you are enjoying yourself in Newfoundland. That's got to be a pretty cool place to live!

Steve

We got about 10 inches Tuesday (started around 2 PM) into Wednesday (ended about 8:00 PM), but on Thursday it was 45 and about half of what we got melted. Temps hovering around 42 the last two days. Like your idea regarding the schrader valve. I didn't implement the idea. Located mine before the rail with a permanent gauge. Having trouble now with wiring regarding my in-tank fuel pump. Did the testing for voltage at the relay and to check for working fuel pump relay. All checked out. Seems to be a dead connection to wiring to the in-tank fuel pump connector. 0v registered. No fuel being delivered. Have Bill, Ray, and Gary in on this one. We believe the problem is isolated to the wiring downstream from the hp pump. I can hear the hp pump engage when the ignition key is on. But there is 0volts getting to the in-line pump. Hopefully, that's just a small bump in the road.Hope you are enjoying yourself in Newfoundland. That's got to be a pretty cool place to live!Steve
sounds like some lose wiring to me.

Vinny Simone757-598-2347

From: sgauvry [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address>

Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2018 11:47 AM

To: vjsimone

Subject: Re: 1985.5 F150 5.0 fuel regulator

We got about 10 inches Tuesday (started around 2 PM) into Wednesday (ended about 8:00 PM), but on Thursday it was 45 and about half of what we got melted.  Temps hovering around 42 the last two days.  

Like your idea regarding the schrader valve.  I didn't implement the idea. Located mine before the rail with a permanent gauge.  

Having trouble now with wiring regarding my in-tank fuel pump.  Did the testing for voltage at the relay and to check for working fuel pump relay.  All checked out.  Seems to be a dead connection to wiring to the in-tank fuel pump connector.  0v registered.  No fuel being delivered.  Have Bill, Ray, and Gary in on this one.  We believe the problem is isolated to the wiring downstream from the hp pump.  I can hear the hp pump engage when the ignition key is on.  But there is 0volts getting to the in-line pump.  

Hopefully, that's just a small bump in the road.

Hope you are enjoying yourself in Newfoundland.  That's got to be a pretty cool place to live!

SteveSteven A. Gauvry - 1985 F150 5.0 EFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-5-F150-5-0-fuel-regulator-tp7703p8750.html

Bullnose Enthusiasts - 1985.5 F150 5.0 fuel regulator
forum.garysgaragemahal.com
1985.5 F150 5.0 fuel regulator. Gents - First - Congrats on your hockey medal. All were hard-fought matches and very good games to watch! Second - I am considering adding an external fuel...

To unsubscribe from 1985.5 F150 5.0 fuel regulator, click here.

NAML