Bullnose Forums

1985.5 F150 5.0 fuel regulator

sgauvry

Gents -

First - Congrats on your hockey medal. All were hard-fought matches and very good games to watch!

Second - I am considering adding an external fuel regulator to my fuel delivery system. I know that my present setup includes a built-in fuel regulator on the fuel rail, but I want to ensure constant pressure of between 25-35 and am not certain I am getting that as I have never checked the fuel pressure (the 85 did not come with a method of checking fuel pressure since there is no place to connect a fuel pressure gauge).

I have two questions: 1. Could I use my present fuel rail setup with motorcraft fuel regulator built into the rail and an external, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge attached that will feed the system? Or will such a setup screw up the works (or simply be redundant if I have good vacuum to the exiting regulator)? Here is the external fuel pressure regulator and gauge: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-afpr1

2. Will it be necessary to replace the existing fuel rail system to incorporate the new fuel pressure regulator and gauge? Here is the replacement fuel rail system: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-5248000r/overview/

I am planning to at least add a schrader valve to the existing system just before the fuel rail system so I can check fuel pressure, but I thought it might be a good idea to be able to regulate the pressure so as to have a consistent fuel flow at the correct pressure.

Thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the congratulations, I was rather surprised by that outcome, as Hockey is, from what a friend told me, almost a religion in Canada.

Steve, the reason for the vacuum controlled pressure regulator is to ensure that the pressure differential is constant. If there is 0 manifold vacuum then the pressure as tested is the required 35-45 psi and running is reduced by the manifold vacuum. If at 14.7 psi manifold pressure (no vacuum) the pressure is 42 psi, then at 15" manifold vacuum = 7.4 psi therefore fuel pressure should be 34.7 psi. If you could achieve a perfect vacuum you would have 27.3 psi which is the differential pressure for the injectors. The computer has this value (essentially) in it's programming. A fixed pressure regulator will play havoc with your AFR values.

Now, a little digression, as you can see in my signature I have another strange vehicle, the 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible with the 2.2L intercooled turbocharged engine. On those systems the basic fuel pressure is 55 psi static, running, no boost, is around 45 psi, under boost it climbs to around 70 psi. This again is to maintain the required pressure differential, which for these engines is 40.3 psi.

Thank you for the congratulations, I was rather surprised by that outcome, as Hockey is, from what a friend told me, almost a religion in Canada.

Steve, the reason for the vacuum controlled pressure regulator is to ensure that the pressure differential is constant. If there is 0 manifold vacuum then the pressure as tested is the required 35-45 psi and running is reduced by the manifold vacuum. If at 14.7 psi manifold pressure (no vacuum) the pressure is 42 psi, then at 15" manifold vacuum = 7.4 psi therefore fuel pressure should be 34.7 psi. If you could achieve a perfect vacuum you would have 27.3 psi which is the differential pressure for the injectors. The computer has this value (essentially) in it's programming. A fixed pressure regulator will play havoc with your AFR values.

Now, a little digression, as you can see in my signature I have another strange vehicle, the 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible with the 2.2L intercooled turbocharged engine. On those systems the basic fuel pressure is 55 psi static, running, no boost, is around 45 psi, under boost it climbs to around 70 psi. This again is to maintain the required pressure differential, which for these engines is 40.3 psi.

Hi Bill -

Yeah, I fully expected you guys to take it all. Teams were extremely aggressive and physical (at least as much as Olympics rules allowed and sometime a bit more :nabble_anim_drunk:).

Thanks a bunch for the reply! I will stay with the present setup and simply install a schrader valve for purpose of checking fuel pressure. And I'll save a boatload of cash in the process. :nabble_anim_claps:

Hi Bill -

Yeah, I fully expected you guys to take it all. Teams were extremely aggressive and physical (at least as much as Olympics rules allowed and sometime a bit more :nabble_anim_drunk:).

Thanks a bunch for the reply! I will stay with the present setup and simply install a schrader valve for purpose of checking fuel pressure. And I'll save a boatload of cash in the process. :nabble_anim_claps:

I think the Schrader valve with the existing regulator is the way to go.

However, there is no reason you can't run a fixed-pressure regulator ahead of the factory one. You'd just have to make sure you provide a bit more pressure to the factory one than it will ever be asked to supply since there's a little loss across a regulator. But it would work - although I don't see an advantage in doing so.

I think the Schrader valve with the existing regulator is the way to go.

However, there is no reason you can't run a fixed-pressure regulator ahead of the factory one. You'd just have to make sure you provide a bit more pressure to the factory one than it will ever be asked to supply since there's a little loss across a regulator. But it would work - although I don't see an advantage in doing so.

I was hoping for two advantages with my original plan that included a new fuel rail system: 1. To always have my fuel pressure visible, and 2. to be able to make adjustments if necessary.

But I think I was swayed from both those thoughts, although I think the first configuration with the new fuel rails and new fuel pressure regulator with gauge could work.

The expense is prohibitive and I've decided to just reconfigure the fuel line to incorporate a schrader valve that will allow fuel pressure gauge attachment.

Thanks, Gary!

I was hoping for two advantages with my original plan that included a new fuel rail system: 1. To always have my fuel pressure visible, and 2. to be able to make adjustments if necessary.

But I think I was swayed from both those thoughts, although I think the first configuration with the new fuel rails and new fuel pressure regulator with gauge could work.

The expense is prohibitive and I've decided to just reconfigure the fuel line to incorporate a schrader valve that will allow fuel pressure gauge attachment.

Thanks, Gary!

Sounds like a good plan, Stan. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sounds like a good plan, Stan. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Gary!

The name is Steve. I know I've been getting names wrong too. Hard to remember names when we're going by avatars. So far, my friends here are you (GARY), 85lebaront2 (Bill), vjsimone (Vinny), and NotEnoughTrucks (Ray).

Please let me know if I have their names incorrect.

All have been generous with their time and expertise. I still can't get over the harness Ray sent to me. It is in pristine condition. Can't wait to get my engine installed and hook up the harness!

Steve

Thanks, Gary!

The name is Steve. I know I've been getting names wrong too. Hard to remember names when we're going by avatars. So far, my friends here are you (GARY), 85lebaront2 (Bill), vjsimone (Vinny), and NotEnoughTrucks (Ray).

All have been generous with their time and expertise. I still can't get over the harness Ray sent to me. It is in pristine condition. Can't wait to get my engine installed and hook up the harness!

Steve

Sorry Steve, I say "Sounds like a plan, Stan" to everyone. And you have the other names correct.

Sorry Steve, I say "Sounds like a plan, Stan" to everyone. And you have the other names correct.
lol!  Got it!!  Thought possibly you were referring to Stan the Man as in Stan Musial. He was some ball player.  

Steven A. Gauvry

4918 Shasta Way

Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

redacted_email_address

The law stirs the mud at the bottom of the pool, and proves how foul the waters are. The law compels the man to see that sin dwelleth in him, and that it is a powerful tyrant over his nature. All this is with a view to his cure. God be thanked when the Law so works as to take off from the sinner all confidence in himself! To make the leper confess that he is incurable is going a great way toward compelling him to go to that divine Saviour, who alone is able to heal him. This is the object and end of the Law toward men whom God will save.

SPURGEON

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 9:17 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Thanks, Gary!

Steve

I figured I may be the only Canucklehead here! Would you be surprised if I said I was not really a hockey fan?

Yup, names look right.

On pressure regulators, I believe that frame mounted Bosch pump is capable of 100 psi. The regulator on the fuel rail keeps it around 40 psi by bleeding the excess pressure off and back to the tank via the return lines. I don't think adding an extra regulator would accomplish anything. The OEM part does work quite well and the only thing you could actually do is pre-regulate the pressure to something above the 40 psi required by the injectors.

As to adding a gauge, how about using a later fuel rail which has the valve for pressure testing?

I'm currently deep in a diagnostic project on an 89 truck that I'm trying to resurrect from the dead. It has a fuel pressure leakdown problem and I'm getting all to familiar with the fuel delivery components.