Bullnose Forums

Fixing loose Type 9 side mirrors

Hi all -

I figure at least a few of you guys have encountered this - my Type 9 Side mirrors are loose as all get out where the mirror itself meets the frame (ball mount that the mirror pivots on). Is there a way to fix this? Once I set them to start driving, they're good but if you close the door or hit a pot hole, they point wherever they see fit!

Was wondering if I could disassemble them and somehow repair that pivot point.

Cheers!

Type 9! There's a man that's done his homework. :nabble_smiley_good:

I have some of those, and many of them have the same problem. Over time I've thought of tightening that pivot up, but I haven't found a way to do it. I don't see a way to take the mirror apart w/o just breaking the glass.

However, I've wondered if either dusting the pivot with something that would cause things to bind up a bit. But I've not figured out what to use for that purpose. A really fine grit might work, but it is abrasive so a number of adjustments will cause the ball to degrade and/or seize.

Or, if it was clean then maybe Loctite? You'd have to drip some in, probably by having the mirror off, then quickly mount the mirror and position it before the Loctite sets up.

Anyway, if you figure it out please let us know.

• 5 months later...

Type 9! There's a man that's done his homework. :nabble_smiley_good:

I have some of those, and many of them have the same problem. Over time I've thought of tightening that pivot up, but I haven't found a way to do it. I don't see a way to take the mirror apart w/o just breaking the glass.

However, I've wondered if either dusting the pivot with something that would cause things to bind up a bit. But I've not figured out what to use for that purpose. A really fine grit might work, but it is abrasive so a number of adjustments will cause the ball to degrade and/or seize.

Or, if it was clean then maybe Loctite? You'd have to drip some in, probably by having the mirror off, then quickly mount the mirror and position it before the Loctite sets up.

Anyway, if you figure it out please let us know.

I'm having this problem as well. I was thinking about trying to dust with either a rubber or soft plastic compound using a file or something similar to a kitchen grader. It will have to get really fine but i'll give it a try, hopefully this coming weekend.

Oh, any thoughts as to where to get replacement gaskets for this type 9 mirrors? I've also seen different mounts as mine has on the top mount, screws that are on top....

20180804_103949.thumb.jpg.116e048240f4053047559e4a2c7da817.jpg

20180804_103959.thumb.jpg.e0e704969e522fe55d1a83a2b445d957.jpg

I'm having this problem as well. I was thinking about trying to dust with either a rubber or soft plastic compound using a file or something similar to a kitchen grader. It will have to get really fine but i'll give it a try, hopefully this coming weekend.

Oh, any thoughts as to where to get replacement gaskets for this type 9 mirrors? I've also seen different mounts as mine has on the top mount, screws that are on top....

I think I'd try Loctite, like blue, before I ground something up.

As for the gasket, I'll see if I can find them......

Thanks for the part # listings. I'll start looking for them. Seems the 3 bolt upper is a lot more common than the 2 bolt.

As a reference - I took a photo of the internals of a busted one when I was at the auto yard last. I have a feeling that the main spring in the middle is not applying enough force anymore. If I knew of a good way to take apart a set and investigate, I would.

0609181108_HDR.jpg.49daef6c3c48f4f95be3659b4bc0bf65.jpg

(PS - hopefully this image works better than the last one I uploaded...)

20180804_103949.jpg

20180804_103959.jpg

Are you looking only for NOS? I think I might have 2 used ones, which I planned to bring to Skiatook in September. Mine would be serviceable, but would be of advantage only if yours are cracked or missing.

20180804_103949.jpg

20180804_103959.jpg

Are you looking only for NOS? I think I might have 2 used ones, which I planned to bring to Skiatook in September. Mine would be serviceable, but would be of advantage only if yours are cracked or missing.

I'm thinking about down the road when I can get a paint job performed and my initial concern is when I take these mirrors off the gaskets will crumble... So I'm trying to get prepared to replace the gaskets and to that end searching for a set (upper lower) for both RH & LH. I do appreciate your response and if you think yours would server this purpose I am interested!!

I'm thinking about down the road when I can get a paint job performed and my initial concern is when I take these mirrors off the gaskets will crumble... So I'm trying to get prepared to replace the gaskets and to that end searching for a set (upper lower) for both RH & LH. I do appreciate your response and if you think yours would server this purpose I am interested!!

Perhaps check out the aftermarket offerings at LMC and NPD. Their reproduction mirrors come as a kit, and the dual position mirror gasket base was a direct overlay match for the original on my truck. I don't know their policy on selling parts of a kit, but they've been pretty flexible with me on similar requests in the past.