Bullnose Forums

Help me choose a tire!

My tires aren't worn out, exactly, but they are old...I got the truck in October of 2010, and I drove it straight from my parents' house to the nearest tire shop because the tires on it were that bad (as Ralphie might have said, they were only actually tires in the academic sense. They were round and had once been made of rubber). My requirements for tires at that time were pretty simple:

Round

Black

Cheap

Close by

I ended up with Mastercraft Courser HTR tires, in P235/75R15. They've served me well (and I'm not interested in larger tires), but I think I can do better now.

My biggest complaint with the tires I have isn't functionality, it's appearance - they look like they belong on a Honda Civic. My truck is only 2WD and hasn't been lifted, but I'd still like something that looks just a little more 'trucky'. Here's what it looks like today:

IMG_1722.jpg.e6561309d9b7b32a4e6593d066d3bac5.jpg

Focusing in on the front driver's tire:

IMG_1724.jpg.a96e7534ff35a62f179d4b278d6a1d81.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg.153dcb8daf55f3869d8e8602ef699bdd.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg.7b9e7a018c8c83a14b037fd1478bd126.jpg

My biggest complaint is how much bulge there is in the sidewall down by the ground - it's hard to see in these photos, but I constantly think my tires are underinflated. I'm assuming the problem here is that these are 'P' tires, not 'LT'. Am I correct in assuming that a light truck tire will give me less of a squashed-down, overloaded appearance? The tire in the photo is inflated to 35 PSI, so pressure isn't the issue here.

I was poking around on TireRack, and found these:

Grabber A/TX

tire.png.9fe1753844bb2a5568f22ca33d263bb9.png

I like them, but they may be a little too aggressive for what I need. I don't offroad in any real sense of the word, although I occasionally drive dirt roads and plain ground either supporting Boy Scout campouts or hauling firewood for my parents. A little more traction in those situations would be welcome, although not at the cost of a horribly loud tire on the road where I do 98% of my driving.

So...all this leads up to the question: what do you have that you like, that's a little more rugged than what I have now without going overboard?

Mathew, I am not the one to be able to answer your question as mine sports P215/75 X 15... But, what I can point out is that most likely, what you desire will not enhance gas mileage and I know you do try to get the best MPG [remember the mileage test in 2019?].

:nabble_anim_handshake:

Mathew, I am not the one to be able to answer your question as mine sports P215/75 X 15... But, what I can point out is that most likely, what you desire will not enhance gas mileage and I know you do try to get the best MPG [remember the mileage test in 2019?].

I don't know, David. If the tire has less bulge maybe it will have less resistance to rolling. I've read that the bulge, aka deflection, causes tires to be running "uphill" the whole time.

Hey! I just so happen to work at a tire shop and have gathered knowledge through experience to this subject!

So generally, the cheaper the tire, the less material was used making it, or at least the less good material. You already know that you get what you pay for, and sometimes, once in a while, you do get a little more. It's always a trade-off, though.

For the quiet and durability and price, I personally like the Firestone Destination LE. It is a truck tire (or van), long-wearing (some report more than 80,000 mi), and they handle the weight of the trucks well without looking weak at the bottom. This is what we put on most of the trucks coming into our shop because they are really not that much more expensive than the cheap tires, and they are made better.

le2.thumb.jpg.c4cc0a6ab5d95d738bf2d5ede90cbad2.jpg

In my experience the LT tires on a non-heavy-duty truck are overkill and ride really rough. Plus, they are usually just a little more expensive.

I have had good luck with my cheap tires called Fuzions. I cannot recommend them for your truck because I don't like how they look, and I know you are going for a good-looking tire, but they are surprisingly good for a cheap tire.

Perhaps surprisingly, gas mileage isn't of major importance to me, although like everyone else I do prefer better to worse. I remember the gas mileage test from last year, but don't forget that I participated (a) out of curiosity and (b) to provide a baseline for the rest of you to compare against.

Excepting years in which I drive to Skiatook, I only put about 2500 miles/year on the truck, so fuel isn't a huge expense for me.

Hey! I just so happen to work at a tire shop and have gathered knowledge through experience to this subject!

Are you new? This is the internet, we can't have informed expertise around here!

Oh...wait, this is Gary's garage. Ignore me, I got carried away. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Anyway, thanks for the intel. So a question to you: I was looking at the specs for the Destination tire, and noticed the rim width range for the size in question is listed as 6"-8". My rims are 5.5" - is that perhaps part of my problem, I have too-wide tires on a too-narrow rim? Should I consider stepping back to the factory spec 215/75R15 tires?

Are you new? This is the internet, we can't have informed expertise around here!

Oh...wait, this is Gary's garage. Ignore me, I got carried away. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Anyway, thanks for the intel. So a question to you: I was looking at the specs for the Destination tire, and noticed the rim width range for the size in question is listed as 6"-8". My rims are 5.5" - is that perhaps part of my problem, I have too-wide tires on a too-narrow rim? Should I consider stepping back to the factory spec 215/75R15 tires?

Matthew - You do remember Steve from the get-together. Right?

Interesting dilemma. I appreciate the original tires on the F-100/150's were P-metrics. $10 per tire from a corporate position is significant. My first suggestion is to upgrade to an LT tire. From the string so far you are usually driving this truck with a load on it. It is not used as a secondary cruiser. If it is going to be working, let's give it better tools to work with. As for brand and model of tire, I gotten attached to the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA. Yes they are a bit on the spendy side, But as has already been said, you get what you pay for. For over thirty years they've down right by me. I don't get the nails or other junk like I used to get. A lot of folks will go with bigger and wider tires. I have found things just work and last longer with the original "pizza cutters". AT tires on a 2WD just gives it a little bit of a pop. Plus you get the choice of black wall or raised white letters. Some fresh argent paint on those rims and it should pop quite nice. Should firm the ride up some too. Good luck.