Bullnose Forums

EFI or carbureted block?

sgauvry

Good morning gents!

First, let me apologize for the dumb question I am about to ask.:nabble_anim_crazy:

Are there differences, other than the lower intake manifold, in the engine block when it comes to operating an EFI system versus a carbureted system? Or is the block essentially the same, the only difference being the lower intake?

I ask because I have a remanufactured engine coming from S&J and it is listed as being for a carbureted system. It is the replacement for vehicles with an F,N serial number. The tech assures me the engine is the correct engine, but I still have concerns about that.

Will you please shed some light on this matter?

Thanks!!

Steve

I can't tell. I put the block info from the master parts catalog up on the website (Engines/Windsor Series), as you can see on the "255 & 302" tab. There were yearly changes, but it doesn't say what they were. And since EFI came out in '85 on the 302 there's no way for me to know.

Thanks, Gary! Guess I'll see when it gets here.

Thanks, Gary! Guess I'll see when it gets here.

Steve, from what I remember on my son's 1986 F150, the block wasn't so much different as the heads, the early EFI heads had some of the worst flow characteristics of any heads Ford ever made for the 289/302 blocks. The 1994 up blocks have roller lifters and a one piece rear seal. Hopefully the heads on your replacement engine will be a better design part than the originals.

Steve, from what I remember on my son's 1986 F150, the block wasn't so much different as the heads, the early EFI heads had some of the worst flow characteristics of any heads Ford ever made for the 289/302 blocks. The 1994 up blocks have roller lifters and a one piece rear seal. Hopefully the heads on your replacement engine will be a better design part than the originals.

Thanks, Bill!

Didn't know about the flow problems with the earlier heads. S&J Engines indicates the heads are new. They claim to correct design mistakes when they rebuild; I can hope that is the case. As long as my lower intake fits well and it all works as it should, no worries. While I have you, what do the markings on the top of the bell housing indicate? Year? Mine says "65".

Thanks, Bill!

Didn't know about the flow problems with the earlier heads. S&J Engines indicates the heads are new. They claim to correct design mistakes when they rebuild; I can hope that is the case. As long as my lower intake fits well and it all works as it should, no worries. While I have you, what do the markings on the top of the bell housing indicate? Year? Mine says "65".

Steve, the only thing I can think of would be a vestige in the forms for the castings. Ford changed the block for the 289 in 1965 from 5 bolts for the clutch/converter housing to 6 bolts. the "65" was probably to identify castings for the new bolt pattern which also accommodated a larger flywheel.

Steve, the only thing I can think of would be a vestige in the forms for the castings. Ford changed the block for the 289 in 1965 from 5 bolts for the clutch/converter housing to 6 bolts. the "65" was probably to identify castings for the new bolt pattern which also accommodated a larger flywheel.

OK! Thanks!!

The 1994 up blocks have roller lifters and a one piece rear seal.

I think the 1pc rear main seal showed up on the 302 in 1983 didn't it? My 1984 302 has the 1pc rear main.

Wasn't there a change in the blocks for the vehicles that had serpentine belt systems? I could be wrong on that, but wasn't there a mounting boss cast in the RH side on blocks when the serp belts started being used? I thought I read that in one of my SBF books.

If re-using old harmonic balancer and flywheel, I'd want to make sure that the balance was correct (28oz or 50oz), although if the engine was ordered for anything newer than 1982-ish?, it should* be correct...

Is this new engine coming with a water pump? I guess you'd want to make sure the rotation was correct for V-belts or Serpentine.

If all of these ideas are bad craziness...then I apologize in advance. I've been driving myself crazy reading SBF stuff for months now...lol.

The 1994 up blocks have roller lifters and a one piece rear seal.

I think the 1pc rear main seal showed up on the 302 in 1983 didn't it? My 1984 302 has the 1pc rear main.

Wasn't there a change in the blocks for the vehicles that had serpentine belt systems? I could be wrong on that, but wasn't there a mounting boss cast in the RH side on blocks when the serp belts started being used? I thought I read that in one of my SBF books.

If re-using old harmonic balancer and flywheel, I'd want to make sure that the balance was correct (28oz or 50oz), although if the engine was ordered for anything newer than 1982-ish?, it should* be correct...

Is this new engine coming with a water pump? I guess you'd want to make sure the rotation was correct for V-belts or Serpentine.

If all of these ideas are bad craziness...then I apologize in advance. I've been driving myself crazy reading SBF stuff for months now...lol.

Close on the 1-piece seal date. According to my favorite website the change to the new seal happened on 12/1/82. (Engines/Windsor Series)

Beyond that, I don't know.

Close on the 1-piece seal date. According to my favorite website the change to the new seal happened on 12/1/82. (Engines/Windsor Series)

I knew it was 1982 or 1983, but I wasn't sure which exactly. I know my '84 302 definitely has the 1pc rear main. The SBF book I have said that the 1pc rear main seal didn't show up until 1985.

I find the internet is full of erroneous information on the 302...it can be a bit difficult when trying to find out specific details. The lower head bolts on my '84 302 go through into the coolant jacket...which, according to the internet, is a change that didn't show up until they started casting the roller blocks. Anyway, it is what it is. We could all be driving Chevys...lol.

Is it safe to assume the new/reman engine has a flat tappet cam in it?