Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Fingers and toes crossed!

No coolant in it yet.. but heard it run for a little bit tonight so that's good at least. Got the timing halfway set for it to start. I wanted to let it sit a bit more since it's colder out for the RTV. Might throw the thermostat on and put coolant in tomorrow.

Fingers and toes crossed!

Well she runs at least. Now time will tell if coolant is a problem. I don't think it is though. Didn't seem to sink down but I guess that would be my next thing is to watch the oil and I guess sit overnight just to be sure not little amounts are getting in the cylinder.

Well she runs at least. Now time will tell if coolant is a problem. I don't think it is though. Didn't seem to sink down but I guess that would be my next thing is to watch the oil and I guess sit overnight just to be sure not little amounts are getting in the cylinder.

Still have both my fingers and toes crossed! Hope all is well in the morning!

Well went out and started it again. Started fine besides being cold again. Couple of questions. What is the factory thermostat? Also where does the temp gauge sit at? Also the oil. The temp gauge needle goes past the L on normal and then I see it cool down to a little before the L. Is this something that will normalize with proper coolant level and a cap? I had the defrost on and it didn't seem hot hot like temp gauge indicated. I know it used to sit around middle and even on the last engine it crept up to the L on normal but my infrared thermometer and hand feeling hoses didn't seem to show that it was that hot. I thought it may be the sensor, so I bought a new one and it still does this. The oil gauge just wonder where a factory one would sit and if someone has ever halfway found a psi correlating to letters. It is past the L and stays there at idle with 10W-30 and I just putting a normal Melling in, no high pressure/volume.

Well went out and started it again. Started fine besides being cold again. Couple of questions. What is the factory thermostat? Also where does the temp gauge sit at? Also the oil. The temp gauge needle goes past the L on normal and then I see it cool down to a little before the L. Is this something that will normalize with proper coolant level and a cap? I had the defrost on and it didn't seem hot hot like temp gauge indicated. I know it used to sit around middle and even on the last engine it crept up to the L on normal but my infrared thermometer and hand feeling hoses didn't seem to show that it was that hot. I thought it may be the sensor, so I bought a new one and it still does this. The oil gauge just wonder where a factory one would sit and if someone has ever halfway found a psi correlating to letters. It is past the L and stays there at idle with 10W-30 and I just putting a normal Melling in, no high pressure/volume.

There's no consistent reading for the gauges. The same temp on one truck may read quite different on another.

But the factory thermostat is 195 degrees.

There's no consistent reading for the gauges. The same temp on one truck may read quite different on another.

But the factory thermostat is 195 degrees.

I figured with the older ones it would be so. I know that oil pressure was never high but who knows the bearings in the other engine and what a good oil pump will do.

I may try to go to a local store and get some distilled water, I went into Walmart yesterday to get some cards and gift cards and that was too much time. It's crazy how a week before Thanksgiving til New Years that parking lot is packed.

I think this did happen whenever I swapped gauge clusters for the tach.. before that it sat in the middle. It does have a 195 thermostat in it though.

I figured with the older ones it would be so. I know that oil pressure was never high but who knows the bearings in the other engine and what a good oil pump will do.

I may try to go to a local store and get some distilled water, I went into Walmart yesterday to get some cards and gift cards and that was too much time. It's crazy how a week before Thanksgiving til New Years that parking lot is packed.

I think this did happen whenever I swapped gauge clusters for the tach.. before that it sat in the middle. It does have a 195 thermostat in it though.

I'm finishing up a build now and one of the things that i dealt with was the gauges reading a little off. i went through three oil pressure senders made by std motor parts then put a motorcraft on which seems to have solved that. The parts store was great about swapping them out or i would not have tried three. the temp read very high just like you describe and when i added an extra ground it now reads dead center as i would expect. still working out the fuel gauge reading low.

i was thinking in theory that if a ground at the gauges would help then i would just add a ground to the ground circuit at the icvr mount/ground screw and ran that roughly three ft along with the cluster harness over to a screw hole near one of the dash angle support braces on the firewall and that simple wire changed the reading on the temp gauge

Took it on a short drive today. Little less than 3/4 throttle chirped the tires 3 or 4 times rolling at 5mph. Didn't think that was too bad with an effective ratio of 2.64 with the rear end and tires. Seems pretty good. Can't wait to get it fully buttoned up and mess with the carb more and see what it really has. Here's a short video of it idling.

Took it on a short drive today. Little less than 3/4 throttle chirped the tires 3 or 4 times rolling at 5mph. Didn't think that was too bad with an effective ratio of 2.64 with the rear end and tires. Seems pretty good. Can't wait to get it fully buttoned up and mess with the carb more and see what it really has. Here's a short video of it idling.

Wonderful! No coolant in the oil or cylinders? No overheating? :nabble_anim_claps: