Bullnose Forums

1982 Bronco XLT

Weberman

Those gaskets look pretty damp in places.

How flat are the intake surfaces?

I've come up with something, idk if its logical or not. I'm not sure why it is wet in the middle and has coolant in the middle when the outsides(on the passenger) show no signs like #5 which has droplets.. I wonder that if in that winter where I didn't know about the seal if that water got in there and maybe cracked the intake where it goes into the coolant passage? Just wondering since it is a dual plane and I know they feed random cylinders off of both sides, just seems weird to me that the middle two are full of coolant and the outsides on that side is fine, where the coolant should be I would think. There is also a good amount of coolant in the oil.

I've come up with something, idk if its logical or not. I'm not sure why it is wet in the middle and has coolant in the middle when the outsides(on the passenger) show no signs like #5 which has droplets.. I wonder that if in that winter where I didn't know about the seal if that water got in there and maybe cracked the intake where it goes into the coolant passage? Just wondering since it is a dual plane and I know they feed random cylinders off of both sides, just seems weird to me that the middle two are full of coolant and the outsides on that side is fine, where the coolant should be I would think. There is also a good amount of coolant in the oil.

It would have to be a pretty big crack, but that would certainly do it.

I just can't think of why else. #1 and #4 gaskets aren't dry dry but #2 and #3 are pretty wet around the port on the gasket. #6 and #7 are dry and #5 and #8 are wet too.. is it a crazy thought or could it do it another way??

I just can't think of why else. #1 and #4 gaskets aren't dry dry but #2 and #3 are pretty wet around the port on the gasket. #6 and #7 are dry and #5 and #8 are wet too.. is it a crazy thought or could it do it another way??

having coolant in the central ports per head is a real mystery. however, you do have a plausible theory. do you think it is likely that it froze? one clue certainly would be that the lower plenum plane is the one flooding and is that the one feeding the cylinders in question? one thing also. flex! is it opening up being torqued down but not at rest on the bench. id rather have it break then crack. i can at least know and move on.

Well got a new intake and it's on. I'll also say I didn't put rtv around the coolant ports cause I figured aluminum head and intake would be okay, but I coated them this time. No more chances. New intake and RTV around the ports.

It is very weird the middles had coolant and the outside didn't. I think it would be possible since it sat over winter with the air cleaner off it and up hill so all the water from the hood could go in the carb.. who knows.

Letting the RTV set up before I do anything else for now. Hopefully I can drive it next week.

Well got a new intake and it's on. I'll also say I didn't put rtv around the coolant ports cause I figured aluminum head and intake would be okay, but I coated them this time. No more chances. New intake and RTV around the ports.

It is very weird the middles had coolant and the outside didn't. I think it would be possible since it sat over winter with the air cleaner off it and up hill so all the water from the hood could go in the carb.. who knows.

Letting the RTV set up before I do anything else for now. Hopefully I can drive it next week.

I often use just the thinnest coat of rtv at the coolant ports. May ny be needed but it works for me. Let set overnight , re-torque and fill. Fingers crossed that you found the needed fix

I often use just the thinnest coat of rtv at the coolant ports. May ny be needed but it works for me. Let set overnight , re-torque and fill. Fingers crossed that you found the needed fix

I thought I should be good with nice straight aluminum surfaces but I had that leak. Could've been that crack letting it happen but there was a decent amount in the crank case too so both sides got a thin layer of RTV just in case. Just went back out to go a final retorque and I'll check again tomorrow whenever I put the carb on.

I thought I should be good with nice straight aluminum surfaces but I had that leak. Could've been that crack letting it happen but there was a decent amount in the crank case too so both sides got a thin layer of RTV just in case. Just went back out to go a final retorque and I'll check again tomorrow whenever I put the carb on.

Yes, I always use a thin smear of RTV around the coolant ports. And I lower the intake on studs so it goes on straight and won't slide around.

Good luck! Hope it works perfectly!

Yes, I always use a thin smear of RTV around the coolant ports. And I lower the intake on studs so it goes on straight and won't slide around.

Good luck! Hope it works perfectly!

I actually made some studs last time I did an intake, but this time I just bought studs for the intake and thats what I used to bolt it down with so all good there. Between the gasket shellac in the middle and rtv on the ends and the studs I hope I'm good.

I actually made some studs last time I did an intake, but this time I just bought studs for the intake and thats what I used to bolt it down with so all good there. Between the gasket shellac in the middle and rtv on the ends and the studs I hope I'm good.

Fingers crossed this is the fix.