Bullnose Forums

Brandon's AVS/Edelbrock Thunder

Gary Lewis

I think I found the choke linkage. I t was in my truck when I was at your house. That small box of parts came open in the floorboard. I found something resembling it in the truck this morning. :nabble_smiley_tongue:

Thank you for calling tech support and getting the parts Gary! Let me know if I owe you any money. I know I am in the red on favors already... :nabble_smiley_grin:

I'm not out anything as Edelbrock is sending the spring for free. But glad you found the link.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

May well be the one. But, I think you should have purchased the one from Summit at $18. Lots cheaper. :nabble_smiley_evil:

More progress has been made on the bastardized AVS I bought. Gary did what was called impossible by Edelbrock. He put an electric choke on my 1805 and it seems to be working. We still have some linkage issues. I bought the kit from Edelbrock with the different parts in it.

Hopefully before too long it will be functioning 100% correct!

Thanks Gary!

More progress has been made on the bastardized AVS I bought. Gary did what was called impossible by Edelbrock. He put an electric choke on my 1805 and it seems to be working. We still have some linkage issues. I bought the kit from Edelbrock with the different parts in it.

Hopefully before too long it will be functioning 100% correct!

Thanks Gary!

Holley told me I couldn't put an electric choke on a double pumper back about 1970, bastards copied what I did. The also saw my homegrown Chrysler throttle linkage on one and came out with a kit duplicating it. I guess I can't really complain too much, as fast as Holley came out with a new performance part that would fit a small block Ford (260 in a Falcon) I got one to field test. When I bought the Shelby, I transferred what would work onto it, as far as I know it probably still has the chrome Holley mechanical pump on it.

Holley told me I couldn't put an electric choke on a double pumper back about 1970, bastards copied what I did. The also saw my homegrown Chrysler throttle linkage on one and came out with a kit duplicating it. I guess I can't really complain too much, as fast as Holley came out with a new performance part that would fit a small block Ford (260 in a Falcon) I got one to field test. When I bought the Shelby, I transferred what would work onto it, as far as I know it probably still has the chrome Holley mechanical pump on it.

Happy to help, Brandon. Edelbrock had plugged the vacuum port that the choke uses for pull-off. So I just had to remove the plug and the AFB/Performer's choke assembly bolted onto the AVS/Thunder carb.

The only issue we have now is the fast-idle link isn't quite right and the choke doesn't stand up as straight as I think it should. We'll get there. Otherwise the carb is ready. In fact, I installed the gratis air valve spring and gave it the 1.5 turns of preload the other day.

Happy to help, Brandon. Edelbrock had plugged the vacuum port that the choke uses for pull-off. So I just had to remove the plug and the AFB/Performer's choke assembly bolted onto the AVS/Thunder carb.

The only issue we have now is the fast-idle link isn't quite right and the choke doesn't stand up as straight as I think it should. We'll get there. Otherwise the carb is ready. In fact, I installed the gratis air valve spring and gave it the 1.5 turns of preload the other day.

When my linkage pack comes in I will come back out to the Garagemahal whenever you have a minute to spare. We can try to figure out how everything goes together. I also need to look on my 1406 that is bagged and shelved to see if I have the Ford adapter for the throttle linkage. I may have to order it. Also, I may need to fab up another kick down linkage for the tranny. I will have to find those plans from when we did it the last time. I believe they are floating around FTE somewhere. Probably my Bronco thread.

I will bring my DVOM so you can check it out as well.

Meanwhile I have to get back to the engine assembly...

When my linkage pack comes in I will come back out to the Garagemahal whenever you have a minute to spare. We can try to figure out how everything goes together. I also need to look on my 1406 that is bagged and shelved to see if I have the Ford adapter for the throttle linkage. I may have to order it. Also, I may need to fab up another kick down linkage for the tranny. I will have to find those plans from when we did it the last time. I believe they are floating around FTE somewhere. Probably my Bronco thread.

I will bring my DVOM so you can check it out as well.

Meanwhile I have to get back to the engine assembly...

If you mean the Edelbrock adapter for the throttle linkage that bolts to the bracket on the manifold, YUK! That was one of the sleaziest parts I've seen from Edelbrock. Not sure what we did for yours, but on Dad's truck I split the factory bracket and put a spacer in. But you can't determine what the size of the spacer should be w/o having the engine installed in the vehicle.