Bullnose Forum

302 Vs 351 front springs ?

Vaughn - That's hard to answer as there weren't "302" and "351W" springs. Instead, the springs go by capacity rating, like 2500 lbs or 2650 lbs. And the certification label tells what springs you should have.

But, as you can see from the snippet below from the page on springs (Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension), there were a number of springs available. And what Ford did was to tally the weight of the engine, transmission, and accessories to determine which springs to install. So trucks with 351W's did get different springs than those with 302's. But an F350 w/a 351W would get a completely different spring than an F150 w/a 351W.

Does that help?

front-springs-1_orig.thumb.jpg.d0f2bc0d1433a3ac325dc74ce17eca1f.jpg

Vaughn - That's hard to answer as there weren't "302" and "351W" springs. Instead, the springs go by capacity rating, like 2500 lbs or 2650 lbs. And the certification label tells what springs you should have.

But, as you can see from the snippet below from the page on springs (Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Front Suspension), there were a number of springs available. And what Ford did was to tally the weight of the engine, transmission, and accessories to determine which springs to install. So trucks with 351W's did get different springs than those with 302's. But an F350 w/a 351W would get a completely different spring than an F150 w/a 351W.

Does that help?

So, my VIN letters 4&5 are E X x= class 7, 26001-33,000 pounds . So do i have to find out what the GVLW of a 351 supercab long wheel base is and compare spring numbers .Cheers Vaughn

So, my VIN letters 4&5 are E X x= class 7, 26001-33,000 pounds . So do i have to find out what the GVLW of a 351 supercab long wheel base is and compare spring numbers .Cheers Vaughn

Hi Gary , just looked at the tag and it says ,

front GAWR 3175 LB rear GAWR 3750 .

Hi Gary , just looked at the tag and it says ,

front GAWR 3175 LB rear GAWR 3750 .

Ok, then 3175 is the rating of the front suspension. But we don't know which piece is the limiting factor - springs or axle. But while I don't have the rating of all of the springs figured out, I don't see one that is 3175. There's a 3100, but you have to have one heavier than that or your rating would be 3100. So I'm guessing that you have the 3250 # springs.

But, what is your question? What you need to do when you put the 351W in? The World Products Sr heads are cast - right? But the Professional Products intake is aluminum, which is lighter than the original cast iron. And the headers are lighter than the cast iron exhaust manifolds. And is the serp pulley setup lighter?

So I'm guessing your engine won't be much heavier than the 302 and you'll be fine with the original springs. But, what is your specific question?

Ok, then 3175 is the rating of the front suspension. But we don't know which piece is the limiting factor - springs or axle. But while I don't have the rating of all of the springs figured out, I don't see one that is 3175. There's a 3100, but you have to have one heavier than that or your rating would be 3100. So I'm guessing that you have the 3250 # springs.

But, what is your question? What you need to do when you put the 351W in? The World Products Sr heads are cast - right? But the Professional Products intake is aluminum, which is lighter than the original cast iron. And the headers are lighter than the cast iron exhaust manifolds. And is the serp pulley setup lighter?

So I'm guessing your engine won't be much heavier than the 302 and you'll be fine with the original springs. But, what is your specific question?

Hi Gary ,Yep my world products heads are iron ,the original intakes are alloy , I would like to see my truck to sit about the same or a tad higher , for tire clearance , but i am aware of the camber issues , i thought there might be a pair of springs i could buy in advance , might have to come by container (heavy).I could just make a thicker spring seat and get a longer bolt .

Cheers Vaughn.

Hi Gary ,Yep my world products heads are iron ,the original intakes are alloy , I would like to see my truck to sit about the same or a tad higher , for tire clearance , but i am aware of the camber issues , i thought there might be a pair of springs i could buy in advance , might have to come by container (heavy).I could just make a thicker spring seat and get a longer bolt .

Cheers Vaughn.

Have you read what's been discussed in this thread? http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/2-Spacer-lifts-Feedback-on-alignment-tp59239p59324.html