Bullnose Forums

Electric Choke

Wow! Thanks Mike and Gary for putting this together. Electrical is definitely my weak suit and I will need this when I go about wiring in my 1994 serpentine 7.3 into my 1986 truck.

The only constructive criticism I have is it looks like the screen shot of the voltmeter gauge conversion unit may be out of place within the text?

And I do have a question: in the text it says Ford started using 2G in 1986, but my 1986 F350 was set up with an external regulator, so 1G correct? Was this most likely stock or did someone back convert it? It's the 6.9 IDI with dual batteries if it makes a difference. Thanks again.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Thanks Mike and Gary for putting this together. Electrical is definitely my weak suit and I will need this when I go about wiring in my 1994 serpentine 7.3 into my 1986 truck.

The only constructive criticism I have is it looks like the screen shot of the voltmeter gauge conversion unit may be out of place within the text?

And I do have a question: in the text it says Ford started using 2G in 1986, but my 1986 F350 was set up with an external regulator, so 1G correct? Was this most likely stock or did someone back convert it? It's the 6.9 IDI with dual batteries if it makes a difference. Thanks again.

Mike - I've made the changes we agreed, and made the one Jonathan found as well. However, I'm not sure we even need the voltmeter screen shot since I put the link to Rocketman's site in there.

Jonathan - Thanks for catching that. As for the alternator, I can't tell definitively from the catalog when the 2G's were introduced. Here's an example of what I see. The D9PZ or F0PZ regulators are external, and the E73Z is internal. In other words, 1G and 2G. But, there's no way to tell when they were used. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Alternator_Header_example.jpg.f2d5d8ac35391b357b41cb9f5438e240.jpg

Alternator_example.jpg.0ec14c000c66ba9beb92743c40c01877.jpg

Mike - I've made the changes we agreed, and made the one Jonathan found as well. However, I'm not sure we even need the voltmeter screen shot since I put the link to Rocketman's site in there.

Jonathan - Thanks for catching that. As for the alternator, I can't tell definitively from the catalog when the 2G's were introduced. Here's an example of what I see. The D9PZ or F0PZ regulators are external, and the E73Z is internal. In other words, 1G and 2G. But, there's no way to tell when they were used. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I agree that the photo of the Ammeter to Voltmeter can be deleted.

On the transition from the 1G to the 2G, from what I read it started with the F-150. However with Ford, one can never be too sure. It seems like Ford like to make changes in mid-year too.

Keep in mind that I put together the 3G conversion doc, but I am no expert in this area. I haven't even done the conversion on my own truck (but I am doing the Ammeter to Voltmeter conversion).

So if there are any mistakes, or missing tips, please let us know.

I agree that the photo of the Ammeter to Voltmeter can be deleted.

On the transition from the 1G to the 2G, from what I read it started with the F-150. However with Ford, one can never be too sure. It seems like Ford like to make changes in mid-year too.

Keep in mind that I put together the 3G conversion doc, but I am no expert in this area. I haven't even done the conversion on my own truck (but I am doing the Ammeter to Voltmeter conversion).

So if there are any mistakes, or missing tips, please let us know.

Oops - there's a typo in my 3G write up.

This part Trucks that currently have V-Belts use the 8.125” mounts, and trucks that have serpentine belts use the 7” mount spacing. (* Need to verify this info)

The size mounting spacing is 8.25" not 8.125". The picture shows the correct dimensions.

Not sure if I should have e-mailed this to you, Gary - or if posting it here is good enough. But your the only one that can fix this.

Oops - there's a typo in my 3G write up.

This part Trucks that currently have V-Belts use the 8.125” mounts, and trucks that have serpentine belts use the 7” mount spacing. (* Need to verify this info)

The size mounting spacing is 8.25" not 8.125". The picture shows the correct dimensions.

Not sure if I should have e-mailed this to you, Gary - or if posting it here is good enough. But your the only one that can fix this.

What typo? :nabble_smiley_grin:

First, great 3G swap article.

My 1986 F150 4.9 lariat came stock with a G2 ALT. My engine has a single V-belt on the ALT.

1G, 2G and 3G ALT all have the same stator output.

I measured my spare 3G 130 amp ALT and I got 8.125 inches, centerline to centerline on the mount bolts.

There is some bad info in the first post with the long quote, the stator output wire never connects to the “neutral point”. Meaning the center of the Y (wye).

On a 1G and 2G ALT , the center of the wye is crimped together and is not brought out of the stator. This crimp point is the floating neutral point. Only 3 wire exit the stator. These are the 3 wires that feed the rectifier. The “stator wire” is attached to one of these 3 feed wires.

Also 1G and 2G ALT only have 6 diodes. The rectifier schematics from RJM are not correct.

On a 3G ALT, the center point of the Y is not crimped together. But instead both ends of the three coils pairs exit the stator. Thus 6 wires out of the stator and a much more complicated 8 diode rectifier.

3G.png.65cf8a32d70c01d2424264c4050c6172.png

Jim

First, great 3G swap article.

My 1986 F150 4.9 lariat came stock with a G2 ALT. My engine has a single V-belt on the ALT.

1G, 2G and 3G ALT all have the same stator output.

I measured my spare 3G 130 amp ALT and I got 8.125 inches, centerline to centerline on the mount bolts.

There is some bad info in the first post with the long quote, the stator output wire never connects to the “neutral point”. Meaning the center of the Y (wye).

On a 1G and 2G ALT , the center of the wye is crimped together and is not brought out of the stator. This crimp point is the floating neutral point. Only 3 wire exit the stator. These are the 3 wires that feed the rectifier. The “stator wire” is attached to one of these 3 feed wires.

Also 1G and 2G ALT only have 6 diodes. The rectifier schematics from RJM are not correct.

On a 3G ALT, the center point of the Y is not crimped together. But instead both ends of the three coils pairs exit the stator. Thus 6 wires out of the stator and a much more complicated 8 diode rectifier.

Jim

Jim - Let me see if I understand. The 1, 2, and 3G alternators have the same stator voltage output. But, the stator output isn't 3-phase, it is probably single-phase. Do I understand correctly?

But, other than the 8.25" measurement actually needing to be 8.125", none of that changes the write-up?