Bullnose Forums

Driving, enjoying life and smiling!

This morning, the temperature was ~50F with no clouds and a gentle breeze. I opened the door of my 1986 F150, pulled the manual choke out maybe 1/16", depressed the gas pedal 1 time, turned the key and the engine was running. With a happy whine @ ~1300 RPMs, the tach was rock steady. As I backed out of my parking space, I was pleased with how easily the truck moved and noticed how quiet it is.

Leaving our house, one has to almost immediately climb a rather steep incline for a block before stopping at the 1st stop sign. At 10 mph, a shift into 2nd and the truck cheerfully stretches its legs. Once stopped and returned to 1st gear, the truck effortlessly began its trek into the next hill before leveling. No clutch slippage is required as the truck gets up to speed. Absolutely no bucking or hesitation at all. The heater was beginning to work within 1/2 mile or so.

I drove to a restaurant to pick-up a sausage and egg bisquit with a cup of coffee [$2.50 total! So nice getting coffee for free - Yea Seniors!]. From that point is a 8 mile drive @ 45 mph. As I drove along with coffee cup in hand, I enjoyed the ride and found myself smiling. Sometimes with the driver's window down, there is a slight rattle within the door, but with the windows rolled up, there is silence.

The 4.9L engine is much like a gasoline Diesel in its power characteristics. The power is there at low RPMs. It is not powerful, but is very relaxed. When the bed is loaded with maximum weight, the engine still performs the same and can be heard to whisper, "is that all you've got"? Shift from 1st to 2nd @ 10 mph; 2nd takes you to 25 mph; 3rd is quite happy to provide thrust up to the 45 mph level when O.D. can be utilized. At 45 mph in OD. the tach reveals 1250 RPMs. The engine is very happy and the ride is smooth.

Yesterday, on the way home, I filled up with $1.359/gal fuel as the engine is quite content with 87 octane. It took less than $15 of fuel. The oil level was on the max line.

Yes, life is good! I hope all of you enjoy your day!

Reminds me of an '80 F-100 that I had years ago. Nine months of the years just get in and turn it over and it whispered to life. During the cold parts of winter, all that was needed was to just touch the gas pedal to set the choke. No tromp down or it'd be flooded.

Of course we were all younger then. I've been driving these trucks since 1988 when my father arranged for me to buy an 84 150 in my name out of the newspaper.

I've owned a number of them over the years, the bull-nose just seems to drag me back to them.

I understand the feeling of a nice morning cruise, just because.

These trucks are so easy to work on it's crazy.

My local mechanic thinks I'm a nut for keeping something so old on the road. I ask him is it easy enough to work on, he always responds that it's gravy, so what's the problem?

Parts are readily available and reasonably priced.

I just don't feel the need to go out and spend $40,000 on a new truck that is a PITA to work on. I can't do anything to it if I wanted to.

I think I'll have to restructure some things to allow for a basic occasional cruise around, just because.

Thanks for the memories.

Well said, David! I'm envious.

It is cool here today. Beautiful day. Unfortunately the truck isn't ready to drive. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, when it is ready to drive, it will say, "I've been waiting for you" and, "no, that is not all I have!" :nabble_smiley_whistling:

:nabble_anim_claps:

And don't forget "There's a station up head - don't forget that's the only thing we don't pass." :nabble_smiley_wink:

And don't forget "There's a station up head - don't forget that's the only thing we don't pass." :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, been driving my truck quite a bit lately. Dump runs and other things that need a bed.

The other day I was thinking, man this truck is running good. Just fun to drive around! The gas prices aren’t as low here, but low, and makes it more enjoyable.

Glad I’m not the only one that thinks like that!

David, I'm looking forward to doing the same thing soon, only then this long spring we've been enjoying in Alabama will be gone and the experience won't be as nice with the summer heat! Still looking forward to just driving the truck for the first time in 5 years.

Keep enjoying the cool weather, cheap gas and quiet times!:nabble_smiley_good:

Well said David!

I took my old Bull out today to the DMV and after that to the RV shop to get some parts, and it is working so good this year I am really pleased with it! The "new" sliding rear window is a real treat, as is the smooth running 302 (no vacuum leaks now) and the tires and wheels (properly balanced, I think...lol).

I had a guy pull up beside me on the highway to give me a thumbs up on the truck, and another guy outside the RV shop told me how awesome it looked, so those little gestures so do make it all worthwhile in the end.

IMG_0754.jpg.e4a94844759fb5aca7c78bb158dcee3b.jpg

Well said David!

I took my old Bull out today to the DMV and after that to the RV shop to get some parts, and it is working so good this year I am really pleased with it! The "new" sliding rear window is a real treat, as is the smooth running 302 (no vacuum leaks now) and the tires and wheels (properly balanced, I think...lol).

I had a guy pull up beside me on the highway to give me a thumbs up on the truck, and another guy outside the RV shop told me how awesome it looked, so those little gestures so do make it all worthwhile in the end.

And your truck does look good, Cory! :nabble_smiley_good:

Well said David!

I think also if you have your favourite music playing 60s 70s 80s .......it takes you back to when you were in your 20s. ! Cheers nice truck .