Bullnose Forums

Steering column boot

Doe's anyone know if the first knuckle joint out from the firewall or under the brake booster , is there a new rubber boot to buy for somewhere ? I think i tried a while back but had no luck .Cheers

Doe's anyone know if the first knuckle joint out from the firewall or under the brake booster , is there a new rubber boot to buy for somewhere ? I think i tried a while back but had no luck .Cheers

No sir, there is not, not that I'm aware of at least. Lots of people have been looking for them too. (Are you taking notes Keith???...lol.)

I replaced my steering shaft with a used one from a 1987-1991 Bricknose pickup. They had a dry upper joint and the lower rag joint is a bonded/molded rubber.

IMG_9626.jpg.c705470e6b542629e4ac6849178aa198.jpg

IMG_9625.jpg.4163d5f64b48b17d9443a1b549aa6986.jpg

IMG_9627.jpg.b17d9ebd4d748f3f4125ff46bb4030c7.jpg

IMG_9977.jpg.a5f869c3e7bc041d7b4c4fba58daba19.jpg

No sir, there is not, not that I'm aware of at least. Lots of people have been looking for them too. (Are you taking notes Keith???...lol.)

I replaced my steering shaft with a used one from a 1987-1991 Bricknose pickup. They had a dry upper joint and the lower rag joint is a bonded/molded rubber.

Cory - This is going to sound strange coming from me, but do you have a part number for that? (Yes, I can look it up if you don't have it, but wanted to make sure.)

But I have turned this place upside down and cannot find the shaft that was on Big Blue, so I'm going to replace it with one of the later ones. :nabble_anim_working:

Cory - This is going to sound strange coming from me, but do you have a part number for that? (Yes, I can look it up if you don't have it, but wanted to make sure.)

But I have turned this place upside down and cannot find the shaft that was on Big Blue, so I'm going to replace it with one of the later ones. :nabble_anim_working:

Gary,

No sir, I do not. I bought the one I have from Steve83 a while back for $15, along with a bunch of other parts. They are really hard to find around here...and when you do find one it's usually too rusty to even remove (or use, for that matter).

Gary,

No sir, I do not. I bought the one I have from Steve83 a while back for $15, along with a bunch of other parts. They are really hard to find around here...and when you do find one it's usually too rusty to even remove (or use, for that matter).

Ok, thanks. I'll see what I can find.

Ok, thanks. I'll see what I can find.

So is the later model one a direct fit ? good to know , otherwise i was thinking to machine a small ring with little rounded steps each end and tack it on with 4 tacks back fill any gaps with some sealant and find a small CV joint or motorcycle gator or steering rack boot , to fit . Do you guys have to get your vehicles checked , i:e we have a warrant of fitness 6 monthly for most older vehicles Cheers

So is the later model one a direct fit ? good to know , otherwise i was thinking to machine a small ring with little rounded steps each end and tack it on with 4 tacks back fill any gaps with some sealant and find a small CV joint or motorcycle gator or steering rack boot , to fit . Do you guys have to get your vehicles checked , i:e we have a warrant of fitness 6 monthly for most older vehicles Cheers

Yes, the 1987-1991 shaft is a direct fit. I have one on my '84, and a friend of mine has one on his as well. That upper rubber boot fails eventually, and there are no replacements for them currently.

Borgeson is a common shaft guys use, but they are fairly expensive.

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=46

For fixing the stock 1980-1986 shaft, I was thinking of making something out of a shock boot...or a boot off the end of a steering rack. It would just need to be fixed on there somehow.

They check vehicles here...sort of a mechanical fitness test. They don't specifically check things like steering shafts, but if they happened to notice one with a torn boot they'd say something.