Bullnose Forums

1984 F250, what is this under hood plug? Rough Idle issue.

I'm not sure if this should be connected or not. These plugs are right near the ICM. Any guesses out there?

I'm banging my head trying to sniff out rough idle issue so I wanted to cover all bases.

After sitting in dry climate for 10 years, I replaced:

ICM,

Coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, most vac lines, I've blocked off the brake booster, rebuilt the carb, replaced the ignition switch,

Still rough. Carb clean isnt helping find a vac leak.

Besides idle, the truck runs great.20200502_194102.jpg.feacbec1ad9636a5def1f96583138edb.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Better picture

The better picture did it. I believe you are looking at C169, and those are the two wires going to the tach. See the right side of the first page below, from the 1985 EVTM, that shows the wire colors, and the second page that shows where the connector is, its color, and the # of pins.

1985-etm-page98.thumb.jpg.d83816ca253907355a09baf014cca790.jpg1985-etm-page99.thumb.jpg.3fcb387ddde8ed606605a00acee4a2cf.jpg

The better picture did it. I believe you are looking at C169, and those are the two wires going to the tach. See the right side of the first page below, from the 1985 EVTM, that shows the wire colors, and the second page that shows where the connector is, its color, and the # of pins.

Ok, I see it there.

Since I dont have a tach, I guess it is normal for that to be disconnected. Do you thing there is any downside to plugging it in?

I have to get a factory service manual on CD for sure.

Thank you.

Ok, I see it there.

Since I dont have a tach, I guess it is normal for that to be disconnected. Do you thing there is any downside to plugging it in?

Thank you.

There's no downside to plugging it in.

As for getting the factory service manual, it is a good thing to have. However, those schematics are from the EVTM. But in reality much of the FSM is on-line on the site, and all of the 1981, '85, and '86 EVTM's are.

There's no downside to plugging it in.

As for getting the factory service manual, it is a good thing to have. However, those schematics are from the EVTM. But in reality much of the FSM is on-line on the site, and all of the 1981, '85, and '86 EVTM's are.

Look up DIY smoke machines. Cheap and easy to make and much more effective than spraying carb cleaner.

I cant tell you how many trucks Ive sprayed and figured didnt have leaks even with continued rough idle, only to later smoke them and find the problem in seconds.

Ok, I see it there.

Thank you.

Yes, that connector is for a factory tachometer.

Plug it in and get yourself a replacement cluster that has a tachometer in it. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Yes, that connector is for a factory tachometer.

Plug it in and get yourself a replacement cluster that has a tachometer in it. :nabble_smiley_beam:

You are all so very helpful, thank you.

Of course I will be DYI-ing a smoker right away and will post an update.