Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

That looks great, Clay! I've heard great things about Blue Top Steering. Seems there's another outfit with an equal reputation.

I've replace much of the front end on my Truck twice now. The last time I did it, probably a couple years ago, I thought the steering box was probably the issue. However, when I raised the truck and got the wheels off the ground to eval, I realized my front end was shot! In fact, it was scary worn out. I replaced everything with MOOG, the best I could get and if feels good again. Still, it is concerning to me the wear rate of the OEM stuff and the previous stuff I put on.

Thanks John. However, the good times were short lived. Backing out of the driveway this morning and heard a loud pop towards the front passenger side wheel well. Lo and behold the coil spring had broken near the top! Prior to posting, I just finished pulling both front shocks and coil springs which appear fairly tired. Also, if anyone is wondering the lower coil spring nut will need a 1 1/8" socket. I've also heard a 29mm will work but the fastener is SAE. Had to make a trip to town and pick up a socket to get it removed. Since my hand has been forced I decided to order the Rough Country 2.5 inch lift kit with the leaf spring upgrade option for the rear. Good to know that Rough Country does offer a 10% military discount. All you have to do is call and ask. I was wanting to lift the truck slightly anyway to fully clear the 31" tires Rusty currently wears. With the 2.5 lift RC recommends a maximum 32x11.50 tire. So maybe that's what I'll upgrade to when i buy new rubber. Fix Or Repair Daily!!! Oh and if you look at the bottom pic you can see where the 31's have been rubbing on the radius arm. PXL_20210128_185721393.jpg.0d3108cf314c557f63ca0bf2d1dff060.jpgPXL_20210128_185725061.jpg.66b27ac2a2b296d2c38cbf553681960e.jpgPXL_20210128_214531013.jpg.ab161345def65483ac3821d40e95f1a8.jpg

Thanks John. However, the good times were short lived. Backing out of the driveway this morning and heard a loud pop towards the front passenger side wheel well. Lo and behold the coil spring had broken near the top! Prior to posting, I just finished pulling both front shocks and coil springs which appear fairly tired. Also, if anyone is wondering the lower coil spring nut will need a 1 1/8" socket. I've also heard a 29mm will work but the fastener is SAE. Had to make a trip to town and pick up a socket to get it removed. Since my hand has been forced I decided to order the Rough Country 2.5 inch lift kit with the leaf spring upgrade option for the rear. Good to know that Rough Country does offer a 10% military discount. All you have to do is call and ask. I was wanting to lift the truck slightly anyway to fully clear the 31" tires Rusty currently wears. With the 2.5 lift RC recommends a maximum 32x11.50 tire. So maybe that's what I'll upgrade to when i buy new rubber. Fix Or Repair Daily!!! Oh and if you look at the bottom pic you can see where the 31's have been rubbing on the radius arm.

Bummer! You can't catch a break! Well, maybe you are catching breaks? Broken springs?

Anyway, I do remember those tires rubbing so understand the desire to fix that. And while the broken spring is a pain, it does allow you to do the lift.

By the way, I'd start soaking things with PB Blaster now. And every day until you start pulling it apart. Those bolts in the back are frequently pretty rusted.

I assume the RC kit comes with the right rear u-bolts?

Bummer! You can't catch a break! Well, maybe you are catching breaks? Broken springs?

Anyway, I do remember those tires rubbing so understand the desire to fix that. And while the broken spring is a pain, it does allow you to do the lift.

By the way, I'd start soaking things with PB Blaster now. And every day until you start pulling it apart. Those bolts in the back are frequently pretty rusted.

I assume the RC kit comes with the right rear u-bolts?

Gary,

I expected the fasteners to be pretty rough so I've already hit them with rust penetrant. Yes, the kit does come with new U bolts for the rear. Here's a picture of the kitScreenshot_20210128-185158.png.d4f51475d677dd1f4ad86e55a917e3b1.png

Do you remember what the rear suspension on Rusty looks like? Doesn't look stock to me. Seems there's an overload setup bolted to the top of the original leaf pack.

Gary,

I expected the fasteners to be pretty rough so I've already hit them with rust penetrant. Yes, the kit does come with new U bolts for the rear. Here's a picture of the kit

Do you remember what the rear suspension on Rusty looks like? Doesn't look stock to me. Seems there's an overload setup bolted to the top of the original leaf pack.

That kit looks good.

And yes, I do remember an overload spring on there that wasn't stock.

That kit looks good.

And yes, I do remember an overload spring on there that wasn't stock.

The operation has begun. So far not so bad but I'm also taking my time replacing worn bushings and rubber along the way. I did decide to order the steering link kit from Jeff's bronco graveyard so that's en route. Biggest pain has been installing the passenger I beam drop bracket. Man i wish i had a lift.PXL_20210202_000049361.jpg.1581d50af54be1e3fe4774e391bedc39.jpgPXL_20210202_000059691.jpg.8d09f6c8dfa24bac8882ec1d0e8e1d00.jpg

The operation has begun. So far not so bad but I'm also taking my time replacing worn bushings and rubber along the way. I did decide to order the steering link kit from Jeff's bronco graveyard so that's en route. Biggest pain has been installing the passenger I beam drop bracket. Man i wish i had a lift.

Rusty would be right at home on a lift. And, by the way, my lift is the best $2K I've spent.

Anyway, take your time and do it the way you want it done. Preaching to the choir hear, but no shortcuts or you may have to go back. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Rusty would be right at home on a lift. And, by the way, my lift is the best $2K I've spent.

Anyway, take your time and do it the way you want it done. Preaching to the choir hear, but no shortcuts or you may have to go back. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I hear ya Gary. No going back. I have ordered new ball joints and adjustable camber bushings which are on the way. However I'm thinking I really don't want to open the can of worms that could be removing the front drive shafts and I may be money ahead letting the shop do the alignment and camber bushings at the same time. On a side note I've noticed I have an engine oil pan leak on the driver side, so that'll need to be fixed under the engine install warranty.

I hear ya Gary. No going back. I have ordered new ball joints and adjustable camber bushings which are on the way. However I'm thinking I really don't want to open the can of worms that could be removing the front drive shafts and I may be money ahead letting the shop do the alignment and camber bushings at the same time. On a side note I've noticed I have an engine oil pan leak on the driver side, so that'll need to be fixed under the engine install warranty.

If I remember correctly the dipstick goes into the pan on the driver's side and they are known to leak. So certainly have the shop do it.

If I remember correctly the dipstick goes into the pan on the driver's side and they are known to leak. So certainly have the shop do it.

So the lift install on Rusty is proceeding fairly well. I'm almost done with the front end and can then start tackling the rear. My opinion of the Rough Country lift is meh. I've had to alter both radius arm drop brackets slightly as they didn't line up perfectly with the original radius arm brackets. Seems like something pretty easy for them to mess up. I also don't understand why both driver and passenger I beam drop brackets have you drill another hole in each when they could've easily done that at the factory. We're talking about 1/2" and 9/16" holes here so be prepared. Especially if you're doing F150 yoga on the floor like I was. However I digress, I've replaced both TTB pivot bushings, both radius arm bushings, the lower coil spring isolater x 2, both front coil springs and front shocks. I'm still waiting on my new steering link kit from JBG and I can call the front done until I take it in for ball joints and camber bushings.PXL_20210205_001911970.jpg.843a29897f95ce5c74e1d18d3f4df54e.jpgPXL_20210205_001941865.jpg.aa69ad4d09816d982cfdf7ebdffd9f92.jpgPXL_20210205_001924050.jpg.47726012c848041ec96bbded2c81fb3e.jpg

So the lift install on Rusty is proceeding fairly well. I'm almost done with the front end and can then start tackling the rear. My opinion of the Rough Country lift is meh. I've had to alter both radius arm drop brackets slightly as they didn't line up perfectly with the original radius arm brackets. Seems like something pretty easy for them to mess up. I also don't understand why both driver and passenger I beam drop brackets have you drill another hole in each when they could've easily done that at the factory. We're talking about 1/2" and 9/16" holes here so be prepared. Especially if you're doing F150 yoga on the floor like I was. However I digress, I've replaced both TTB pivot bushings, both radius arm bushings, the lower coil spring isolater x 2, both front coil springs and front shocks. I'm still waiting on my new steering link kit from JBG and I can call the front done until I take it in for ball joints and camber bushings.

Rusty is going to be so proud! Those 31's will be just right. :nabble_anim_claps: