Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

You are right, Ray. But I still feel badly.

I probably would too.

Sold my uncle that red flatbed. He drove it for a couple months and the 9" went out on him. Cant remember exactly what happened. But you and I had that axle apart in your shop during a GTG one year. We did outter axle bearings and seals, and inspected the third member and it all looked pretty good....

This stuff dont last forever ya know?

You are right, Ray. But I still feel badly.

I probably would too.

Sold my uncle that red flatbed. He drove it for a couple months and the 9" went out on him. Cant remember exactly what happened. But you and I had that axle apart in your shop during a GTG one year. We did outter axle bearings and seals, and inspected the third member and it all looked pretty good....

This stuff dont last forever ya know?

I do remember refurbing that 9", and would have bet it was good for another 100,000 miles. Goes to show what I don't know.

Truck IS good and strong, but if Clay is going to toss it for reman, he more than likely's going to trade it for core.

Truck IS NOT good and strong. Rusty's engine is out for inspection and tear down. Crankshaft runout is excessive and the main bearing caps don't look good at all. Pretty disappointed for being a, "rebuild" with less than 10k miles. Engine mounts are cracked, 1 spark plug was completely fouled and another was cracked. So I'll probably tear this engine down after the shop gets the new 400 installed. The cylinder heads are probably good so I'll sell those and whatever other components that aren't completely "wallered out." I did decide to go with a TCI heavy duty forged flexplate with a SFI 29.1 rating, so it should outlast the truck which is good because I'm D O N E replacing $40 hecho en mexico flexplates. Seems I was mistaken in a previous post as the transmission shop had checked end play and not run-out. So there it is ladies and gentleman, the smoking gun.

Clay, Is there any way that you can get a outside measurement on the center main bearing and a measurement on the inside of the main journal on the crank? The center main bearing is what determans the end play on the crank......I am just quirous as I have run into this before building racing engines and have sent back NEW cranks with to much end play because the cranks were ground wrong.

It will need to be done with a micromiter and if you cant, or don't have one that's cool too.

I have been following this from the start and was thinking crank end play all a long but decide to keep my mouth shut because Gary paid someone to rebuild that engine. I guess they fell down on the job and dident do an end play measurement and for that I am sorry.

Clay, Is there any way that you can get a outside measurement on the center main bearing and a measurement on the inside of the main journal on the crank? The center main bearing is what determans the end play on the crank......I am just quirous as I have run into this before building racing engines and have sent back NEW cranks with to much end play because the cranks were ground wrong.

It will need to be done with a micromiter and if you cant, or don't have one that's cool too.

I have been following this from the start and was thinking crank end play all a long but decide to keep my mouth shut because Gary paid someone to rebuild that engine. I guess they fell down on the job and dident do an end play measurement and for that I am sorry.

Steve - I think Clay said the tranny shop had checked crankshaft end play but not runout, and that the runout was excessive.

As for the rebuild, I bought Rusty with a "newly-rebuilt engine". I didn't pay to have it done. And when I asked who built it he said "my cousin". :nabble_smiley_cry:

Steve - I think Clay said the tranny shop had checked crankshaft end play but not runout, and that the runout was excessive.

As for the rebuild, I bought Rusty with a "newly-rebuilt engine". I didn't pay to have it done. And when I asked who built it he said "my cousin". :nabble_smiley_cry:

Wonder where his cousin was from...:nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

Ok, I guessed I missed the part about his cousin rebuilding the engine. I saw the strange wear on that rear main bearing and wondered what the thrust bearing looked like....I guess it is a moot point because they look like someone put standard size bearings in a crank that is undersized.

Sorry Gary, some how I had end play stuck in my head instead of runout.

Steve I'm sure I'll have more to share, measurements, pictures, etc. whenever I get the block home.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I guessed I missed the part about his cousin rebuilding the engine. I saw the strange wear on that rear main bearing and wondered what the thrust bearing looked like....I guess it is a moot point because they look like someone put standard size bearings in a crank that is undersized.

Sorry Gary, some how I had end play stuck in my head instead of runout.

So still waiting on Rusty's 400 to be finished. Going on 2 months patiently waiting and MABBCO is telling me middle of August for the latest completion date. Original date was July 29. They claim they're very backed up due to Covid so who knows. In the mean time I kinda did a thing and upgraded out of the commuter car to a 2017 F150 King Ranch. So i know know what I'll use to go pickup Rusty's engine, Ha!

IMG_20200801_181836.jpg.fab8063d581df05564c41be08745add6.jpgIMG_20200801_182642.jpg.75c8203d09e043507abee3b6e0cc8be2.jpg