Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

Ok so I did some surveying of the AC equipment under the hood and I don't think Rusty has been converted to R134. Everything that has markings says R12 and I believe that R134 fittings are quick disconnect not externally threaded. Is that correct? I did however find a fitting loose on what I believe is the low side line coming off the compressor, marked in red on the pic. I did go ahead and snug that fitting. Also, looks like the compressor was manufactured January of 1980. Probably a safe bet it's the original.

On a different note, my order from Ford Era finally came in. Awesome shirt and hoodie but sure did take a long time to come in. Ordered on May 6th.IMG_20200528_181259.jpg.9d23acfa155496d3410589693a154e8e.jpg

Ok so I did some surveying of the AC equipment under the hood and I don't think Rusty has been converted to R134. Everything that has markings says R12 and I believe that R134 fittings are quick disconnect not externally threaded. Is that correct? I did however find a fitting loose on what I believe is the low side line coming off the compressor, marked in red on the pic. I did go ahead and snug that fitting. Also, looks like the compressor was manufactured January of 1980. Probably a safe bet it's the original.

I think you are probably right - Rusty hasn't been converted. And with a loose connection there's obviously no hope for it having a charge. But, it may also not have any contamination inside. So it is possible that pulling a vacuum and charging it with R134 will do the trick. I'd take it somewhere that does A/C work and see what they find.

I like the shirt & hoodie! I passed the link on to my family and we'll see what happens. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On a different note, my order from Ford Era finally came in. Awesome shirt and hoodie but sure did take a long time to come in. Ordered on May 6th.

Rusty finally has a new windshield! Time for a state inspection.

IMG_20200529_131746.jpg.6737a8886b09a5ac9ef05d2ed9147557.jpg

Well done! Looks like they put a borderless windshield on so you can see the VIN. :nabble_anim_claps:

Good luck on the inspection. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, had to be able to see the VIN. I've read some of the horror stories here related to non viewable VIN's. Inspection should go off without a hitch. Here in Texas a 1981 only requires a safety inspection.

Well done! Looks like they put a borderless windshield on so you can see the VIN. :nabble_anim_claps:

Good luck on the inspection. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good news, Rusty passed the state inspection. Bad news, I have another I repeat another cracked flexplate!! Rusty sounded like a dang rattlesnake once I pulled in for the inspection. There is something wrong internally either with the crank or the transmission. The transmission shop said all the run out measurements were within spec, so what the heck!!!! I'm at my wits end with this thing.

Good news, Rusty passed the state inspection. Bad news, I have another I repeat another cracked flexplate!! Rusty sounded like a dang rattlesnake once I pulled in for the inspection. There is something wrong internally either with the crank or the transmission. The transmission shop said all the run out measurements were within spec, so what the heck!!!! I'm at my wits end with this thing.

I looked back through the posts and didn’t see. Did they do a run out on the engine crankshaft?

I don’t know if driveshaft vibrations would transmit through the tranny. May be something to check.

I looked back through the posts and didn’t see. Did they do a run out on the engine crankshaft?

I don’t know if driveshaft vibrations would transmit through the tranny. May be something to check.

They did perform a crank runout check and said it was in spec. I even had them replace the harmonic balancer.