Bullnose Forums

The Return of Rusty

Good morning gentlemen,

As of yesterday I am the new owner of the red headed step child known around these parts as Rusty. The family and I made the drive East to Longview, TX where Rusty has been sitting since being sold by Gary to my FiL a few years ago. So my FiL had his mechanic go through Rusty prior to us showing up, just wanting everything to be safe so I can drive him home to Glen Rose on Sunday. Here's a list of the things the mechanic did to Rusty.

- Replaced rear brakes and wheel cylinders

- Replaced front brakes and calipers

- Replaced engine flywheel and spacer

(Flywheel was cracked and making a ticking noise at idle.)

- Packed front wheel bearings and replaced seal.

- Replaced battery

- Replaced Hot/Cool cable for HVAC control

- Changed Xmsn fluid and replaced filter

- Serviced all gear boxes

- Cleaned and undercoated bottom of truck (looks sharp!)

- Changed engine oil and filter (20w50)

- Replaced (1) license plate bulb

- Replaced FR side maker bulb

So it looks like the FiL kept these boys busy for about two weeks in preparation for me to come pick Rusty up. I drove him from the shop back to their home in Longview at the end of the day yesterday and he ran great. I'm really excited to get to know this truck. So I'm already working on a list of other things to work on once I get him home.

Repairs to make:

- Replace windshield ( has what looks like a big rock hit just in front of the driver just above the cowl that has run the entire length of the glass vertically)

- Fix tachometer

- Fix A/C

- Fix radio and speakers

- Check steering shaft joint (rubber boot is cracked, slight play in joint)

I haven't had much time to crawl underneath or do any rag maintenance but I can surely get to that this coming week.

That's it for now, just wanted to give a quick update that Rusty is alive and well!

IMG_20200501_165948.jpg.8bc9fa42d4ede3c0bf7090aef23ea740.jpg

Excellent! Those things should make it a good, safe trip.

On your list of things to do might be a new set of tires. Those have quite the howl to them from roughly 45 MPH up. No hurry, but you might want to hear the sweet sound from the Magnaflow muffler. :nabble_smiley_wink:

On your list of things to do might be a new set of tires. Those have quite the howl to them from roughly 45 MPH up. No hurry, but you might want to hear the sweet sound from the Magnaflow muffler. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I always wondered what happened to this truck. Glad to see it's still around!

Well guys so much for making the trip home to Glen Rose with Rusty. We were cruising about 60-65 going west on I 20 when I started feeling a vibration and suddenly lost power to the wheels. I eased back on the accelerator only to get no acceleration and a horrible clattering, grinding noise. I was able to coast to an off ramp in Canton and get out of traffic. I shifted to park and shut Rusty off. My mind instantly goes to flywheel. The mechanics and my FiL's shop had just had the C6 out and replaced the flywheel and had to fabricate a spacer ring. When I asked them about the spacer ring they said they figured the flywheel cracked due to not having a spacer when they removed everything. Not being able to find a replacement they used the old flywheel to build a spacer. The crack in the original flywheel also makes me think there is something else wrong. Bent crankshaft? The crack was between mounting bolts in the direction of rotation from what I'm told. So unfortunately Rusty is on a tow truck headed back to Longview.

IMG_20200503_123653.jpg.e94a1134f9a573a653ed96fbc016cf9d.jpg

IMG_20200503_124009.jpg.250e67fa5d09996b67ab1852c9770962.jpg

IMG_20200503_123708.jpg.dc91cf8fa080eba348959221749b408c.jpg

Well guys so much for making the trip home to Glen Rose with Rusty. We were cruising about 60-65 going west on I 20 when I started feeling a vibration and suddenly lost power to the wheels. I eased back on the accelerator only to get no acceleration and a horrible clattering, grinding noise. I was able to coast to an off ramp in Canton and get out of traffic. I shifted to park and shut Rusty off. My mind instantly goes to flywheel. The mechanics and my FiL's shop had just had the C6 out and replaced the flywheel and had to fabricate a spacer ring. When I asked them about the spacer ring they said they figured the flywheel cracked due to not having a spacer when they removed everything. Not being able to find a replacement they used the old flywheel to build a spacer. The crack in the original flywheel also makes me think there is something else wrong. Bent crankshaft? The crack was between mounting bolts in the direction of rotation from what I'm told. So unfortunately Rusty is on a tow truck headed back to Longview.

Oh no! So sorry!

So the new flywheel cracked?

I'm pretty sure the crank is not bent. I put 3000 miles on that engine to and from Delaware from Ok. And many more besides.

But what do you mean by "spacer ring"? Is that the metal plate that goes between the block and the transmission?

Oh no! So sorry!

So the new flywheel cracked?

I'm pretty sure the crank is not bent. I put 3000 miles on that engine to and from Delaware from Ok. And many more besides.

But what do you mean by "spacer ring"? Is that the metal plate that goes between the block and the transmission?

Right now that's just a guess as to what broke. Won't be able to tell without dropping the xmsn. I'll see if I can get pictures of this spacer ring so we all have a better understanding. I think flywheel because after I shut Rusty off I tried to crank him again and it did not sound good so i immediately stopped.

Right now that's just a guess as to what broke. Won't be able to tell without dropping the xmsn. I'll see if I can get pictures of this spacer ring so we all have a better understanding. I think flywheel because after I shut Rusty off I tried to crank him again and it did not sound good so i immediately stopped.

If it is a lack of an engine plate, the piece that goes between the engine & the block, then I have an extra you can have. But I'm doubting that I didn't put one in there. :nabble_anim_confused:

M-Block_Engine_Plate.thumb.jpg.b0bc15ac7644831ae9c4333dd356761e.jpg

If it is a lack of an engine plate, the piece that goes between the engine & the block, then I have an extra you can have. But I'm doubting that I didn't put one in there. :nabble_anim_confused:

Gary I'll definitely let you know what we find out about this spacer and thank you for the offer. I just can't see that plate not being there. Nonetheless Rusty is back where we started at the shop. I've got a message in with the mechanic so hopefully they can get it torn down and inspected tomorrow. Good thing is we have made it home safely even though I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed with how today turned out. Especially because my wife had to pick me up in her Hyundai. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Gary I'll definitely let you know what we find out about this spacer and thank you for the offer. I just can't see that plate not being there. Nonetheless Rusty is back where we started at the shop. I've got a message in with the mechanic so hopefully they can get it torn down and inspected tomorrow. Good thing is we have made it home safely even though I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed with how today turned out. Especially because my wife had to pick me up in her Hyundai. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Doing some reading and came across this article http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/220

Has anyone had this happen?

Doing some reading and came across this article http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/220

Has anyone had this happen?

Ive never had that issue because most of my vehicles have been chevys!!! Ok ok, sorry. Bad joke.

Joking aside. I guess the first thing to check is that the spacer plate is there. Then, if it is, maybe the spacer could be the wrong one? Is that even possible? Are there different thicknesses for those plates.

You know, ive never understood why ford puts those spacers in there. I mean, whats the point? Why not have the block or bellhousing a little thicker? I know GM doesnt use them.