Bullnose Test Forum

Installing tailgate and door glass procedure

Hi folks,

84 Bronco XLT getting put back together. I have all of the hardware for the power windows, locks and tailgate installed and working. I now have to get the glass back in. I didn't take it apart and I can't find a reference that talks about removal/replacement. I'm hoping someone can help me out by pointing me to a good link for that process.

It seems like the vent windows are in correctly, but the window tracks in the doors don't seem to be installed correctly because the weatherstrip doesn't sit straight, so I'm assuming that track needs to be removed and reinstalled as part of the correct sequence. I need to get the sweeps, the glass, the tracks and the weatherstripping in. I think I just need to start over with the process planned out correctly. Anyone know where I can find directions for that?

The tailgate seems much more straight forward. I need to install the glass and bolt it on, put in the inner and outer sweeps and screw on the rubber endcaps. What sequence do I do those steps in? It seems like there isn't enough clearance to install the sweeps after the glass is in, but it is physicall impossible to get the glass in if the sweeps are installed.

Thanks!

Chad

An incredibly useful video on removing and reinstalling door glass that someone at FSB.com shared:

Still need details on the process for installing the glass, sweeps and endcaps in the tailgate.

Also, does anyone have any good instructions on installing the rear glass track in the doors? Not very good with interpreting the line drawings in the shop manual.

Thanks

An incredibly useful video on removing and reinstalling door glass that someone at FSB.com shared:

Still need details on the process for installing the glass, sweeps and endcaps in the tailgate.

Also, does anyone have any good instructions on installing the rear glass track in the doors? Not very good with interpreting the line drawings in the shop manual.

Thanks

Have you seen the factory shop manual instructions at Documentation/Body/Bronco Rear Window?

Have you seen the factory shop manual instructions at Documentation/Body/Bronco Rear Window?

No, Gary, I did not see that. I somehow completely missed that totally obvious section when I went straight to "tailgate" in the "Body" section of the documentation. Totally my fault. Thanks for pointing me there.

Looks like I have to remove the glass mount bracket and then rivet it back in when it's inside the tailgate. That really surprised me and explains why I couldn't figure it out.

Guess I'm going to be ordering some new spacers and learning how to drill out rivets...

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

As always, Gary, you are a prince and a gentlemen. Thank you.

No, Gary, I did not see that. I somehow completely missed that totally obvious section when I went straight to "tailgate" in the "Body" section of the documentation. Totally my fault. Thanks for pointing me there.

Looks like I have to remove the glass mount bracket and then rivet it back in when it's inside the tailgate. That really surprised me and explains why I couldn't figure it out.

Guess I'm going to be ordering some new spacers and learning how to drill out rivets...

Glad that section will be helpful. :nabble_smiley_good:

You don't have to drill out the rivits, Just take out the rubber seals and the window will slide right in the tracks. If your rubber seals are hard like mine, they need to be replaced any way. Putting the new seals with the window is a piece of cookie. Takes about ten minutes a seal and they just clip into slots in the tail gate.