Bullnose Forums

NOS 4 speed shifter boot [EOTZ-7277-H] check closely for accuracy!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I know mine looks like others and they are more square, or rectangular. Definitely not round.

This is just an impression, but the boot and trim ring in Pete's truck looks an awful lot like a ZF-5 boot to me, and the hole at the top where the shifter cane comes out does not look like it hugs the cane the way it should. I could be completely wrong but that's just how it looks to me.

That said, I have looked at a lot of junkyard trucks and I don't ever recall seeing any round boots. Maybe I'm just not remembering right but I thought even the SROD/SMOD/TOD had square or rectangular ones... I will have to pay more attention. 🤔

This is just an impression, but the boot and trim ring in Pete's truck looks an awful lot like a ZF-5 boot to me, and the hole at the top where the shifter cane comes out does not look like it hugs the cane the way it should. I could be completely wrong but that's just how it looks to me.

That said, I have looked at a lot of junkyard trucks and I don't ever recall seeing any round boots. Maybe I'm just not remembering right but I thought even the SROD/SMOD/TOD had square or rectangular ones... I will have to pay more attention. 🤔

Mine is the 3spdOD trans. No telling if the boot got changed at some point, so maybe its not right. Below is a pic of a '79 I own ( that I have let a friend use, until they no longer need it ). I put the 3spdOD in it. I don't remember where I go this boot? whether the boot was on the shifter when I bought the trans or what??

(KGrHqRHJFUE-k0f(YyBPr5sNDgdw60_12.jpg.0572640e92732b6c967cfe80d7e54e57.jpg

Mine is the 3spdOD trans. No telling if the boot got changed at some point, so maybe its not right. Below is a pic of a '79 I own ( that I have let a friend use, until they no longer need it ). I put the 3spdOD in it. I don't remember where I go this boot? whether the boot was on the shifter when I bought the trans or what??

Pete - Ford would call your tranny a 4-speed with overdrive. That's as opposed to a 4-speed w/o overdrive, like the NP435 or T-19. Just explaining how to read the catalog.

Pete - Ford would call your tranny a 4-speed with overdrive. That's as opposed to a 4-speed w/o overdrive, like the NP435 or T-19. Just explaining how to read the catalog.

Yeah I know that. I just refer to them that way, because that is really what they are. Many people think they are a true 4 spd, with 4th being 1:1. I use that terminology so everyone knows what I'm talking about. And as a side note . . when used in the Mustangs, they said 4 on the shifter knob. But in the trucks, 3 and OD was the last position :)

Yeah I know that. I just refer to them that way, because that is really what they are. Many people think they are a true 4 spd, with 4th being 1:1. I use that terminology so everyone knows what I'm talking about. And as a side note . . when used in the Mustangs, they said 4 on the shifter knob. But in the trucks, 3 and OD was the last position :)

Ok, just making sure. Ford's terminology is somewhat odd, and 3-speed + OD is more obvious.