Bullnose Forums

Finding a correct horn pad?

It's actually a fairly thick little button, seems a little different than these aftermarket ones but I could be wrong. I have searched for them and have been unable to find them, as I was looking for one for the factory wheel of my 1979 truck. I might have a better picture of that button, let me take a look around.

You can buy that button emblem as a reproduction still and I recall it being quite thick as it fits down into the horn pad to have just a slight little bump above the horn pad once installed.

1979 - 1996

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/en/trucks/electrical/horn/e4tz-3649-steering-wheel-emblem

You can buy that button emblem as a reproduction still and I recall it being quite thick as it fits down into the horn pad to have just a slight little bump above the horn pad once installed.

1979 - 1996

https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/en/trucks/electrical/horn/e4tz-3649-steering-wheel-emblem

I know I did order a horn button and it ended up being a sticker with a thick, clear gel layer over it, but I want to say it was for a Fox body Mustang.

The one on the dash there is like 1/8th thick, and totally plastic.

1979 - 1996

I know I did order a horn button and it ended up being a sticker with a thick, clear gel layer over it, but I want to say it was for a Fox body Mustang.

The one on the dash there is like 1/8th thick, and totally plastic.

You got to be careful which one you get as I don't think mustang and the truck ones would interchange. I know I thought the emission decal would be very similar for a 82 302 mustang and a 82 302 truck but they were quite different and the mustang had vacuum circuits that the trucks never had.

Its why I go by the part numbers I can find in my parts and illustration guides for my '56 Fairlane, my 78 Cougar, or 82 F150. To me its the only way I can be sure it is what it should be. Ive gone by looks way too many times before I got these guides and ended up with parts that looked right but aren't right.

You got to be careful which one you get as I don't think mustang and the truck ones would interchange. I know I thought the emission decal would be very similar for a 82 302 mustang and a 82 302 truck but they were quite different and the mustang had vacuum circuits that the trucks never had.

Its why I go by the part numbers I can find in my parts and illustration guides for my '56 Fairlane, my 78 Cougar, or 82 F150. To me its the only way I can be sure it is what it should be. Ive gone by looks way too many times before I got these guides and ended up with parts that looked right but aren't right.

They were very different, similar if not the same size however. This might be the only other picture I have but I will run out there tomorrow snap a few pictures.

I just hate spending $6.95 to drop $10 to ship it.

IMG_20160222_143034986_HDR.jpg.c87313f99d252248b93cc91b9d2746d7.jpg

They were very different, similar if not the same size however. This might be the only other picture I have but I will run out there tomorrow snap a few pictures.

I just hate spending $6.95 to drop $10 to ship it.

Same here, I hate spending more on shipping than on the part. I try to bulk up on what I need, I saved lots of money from summit for buying engine parts for my 306 when I was buying parts, bulked up made sure what I bought was a min of $100 and got free shipping.

Same here, I hate spending more on shipping than on the part. I try to bulk up on what I need, I saved lots of money from summit for buying engine parts for my 306 when I was buying parts, bulked up made sure what I bought was a min of $100 and got free shipping.

That is typically what I try to do.

Trying to stick with what the truck has, he's not a fan of any of the optional trim,

I don't like all of the option trim either....well, I shouldn't say that I don't like it, it's just that I prefer the plain stuff.

Not sure if this is any help Angelo, but my 1984 is a pretty much bare bones optionless truck, with the plain black horn pad. It still only has 40k original miles on it, so the interior is fairly well preserved. My horn pad has the hard plastic emblem. It is not molded into the horn pad it is a separate piece as I can get my fingernail behind it.

IMG_0693.jpg.6eaf975b481c54936333e70c94d03bca.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg.6167eb5dce791f51d145c3a5a39db5b6.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg.bb9a2ea4783de4c9c1c21a0d3f86559e.jpg

Below is the only marking on the backside of the pad...

IMG_0697.jpg.7c7f36e5bb605ca1ede4e9148449cd21.jpg

Trying to stick with what the truck has, he's not a fan of any of the optional trim,

I don't like all of the option trim either....well, I shouldn't say that I don't like it, it's just that I prefer the plain stuff.

Not sure if this is any help Angelo, but my 1984 is a pretty much bare bones optionless truck, with the plain black horn pad. It still only has 40k original miles on it, so the interior is fairly well preserved. My horn pad has the hard plastic emblem. It is not molded into the horn pad it is a separate piece as I can get my fingernail behind it.

Below is the only marking on the backside of the pad...

Do a google search for D9TZ-13A805-A. There are a lot of nice reproductions out there.

Do a google search for D9TZ-13A805-A. There are a lot of nice reproductions out there.

I believe mine is like you describe yours being since mine is neither a button or sticker but rather it is just made as part of the pad itself. Now if there was any coloring on it that must have been long gone as mine has always been black like the rest of the pad. I can't really see any evidence of coloring left behind.

20200427_101954.jpg.ef22126ce2c19459d06117aad0e875f8.jpg

I believe mine is like you describe yours being since mine is neither a button or sticker but rather it is just made as part of the pad itself. Now if there was any coloring on it that must have been long gone as mine has always been black like the rest of the pad. I can't really see any evidence of coloring left behind.

My 83 XL. No button, but it's molded. Paint has long been gone, but I simply painted some bright silver on the raised edges with a fine brush.

IMG_20200424_132950188.jpg.b0d0763f662f7e6d6779121fa02dafa8.jpg