Bullnose Forums

1986 F150 alignment specs

Most of them are pretty similar from what I have seen, the changes between them vary based on ride height, but the changes are so subtle that a basic 2wd truck you wouldn't notice anything different in driving between them; the difference in camber/caster are like .01-.05 difference, not enough to physically see it. The toe specs are all the same. Select a basic one for your cab/bed configuration/wheelbase and you'll be good to go.

Hey Cobra,

I have a picture saved from my last front end alignment a few years ago if it is any help. My truck still has the original 0 degree concentric bushings installed. My truck, 1984 F150 2wd, is still at stock ride height.

img_0260_medium__5d731ad5bb4dffa3cee1093250e6e910442738c2.thumb.jpg.aa5c68fa613e1f5cab5cd7ab771b720d.jpg

If you want the actual Ford specs, they are in the factory service manual for Body/Chassis/Electric in Group 14. Here are a couple snips...might not be all that clear. Gary might have these in the documentation somewhere if you look around.

alignment_specs1.thumb.jpg.3aabc341cf80803b745d94616e5ef839.jpg

alignmentspecs2.jpg.ad5feb78e3fa58f26ec0b302c33d9626.jpg

Hey Cobra,

I have a picture saved from my last front end alignment a few years ago if it is any help. My truck still has the original 0 degree concentric bushings installed. My truck, 1984 F150 2wd, is still at stock ride height.

If you want the actual Ford specs, they are in the factory service manual for Body/Chassis/Electric in Group 14. Here are a couple snips...might not be all that clear. Gary might have these in the documentation somewhere if you look around.

Ford's alignment section from the 1985 factory shop manual are in a weird location called Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Alignment. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ford's alignment section from the 1985 factory shop manual are in a weird location called Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Alignment. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Alignment on these trucks can be daunting and there are a lot of shops who don't know how to align them or just won't touch them. At least yours has the ball joints that can be adjusted by changing the bushings.

If you notice looking the information Gary posted, the rear ride height needs to be measured as it enters in to the caster chart (and possibly the camber chart).

One thing I have found, the radius arms (section under the spring that goes back to a frame bracket) bushings go bad and allow the axle halves to move back and forth when driving and especially when braking.

I can't tell you how well the ball joint front end hold alignment, I can tell you that both of the Twin-I beam trucks I have owned (1977 F150 and 1986 F350) both, once properly aligned, have worn the front tires dead even and drive as well as you could expect from a truck. Both have the actual king pin front suspension.

Ha! See, I knew it! Gary, because I have my own '84 and '85 factory service manuals, I'm guilty of not using the webpage documentation very often.

Ha! See, I knew it! Gary, because I have my own '84 and '85 factory service manuals, I'm guilty of not using the webpage documentation very often.

Trust me, I understand. Sometimes I forget I put something out there and do it again. Or can't find what I know is there. In this case I was pleasantly surprised how simple it was.

Trust me, I understand. Sometimes I forget I put something out there and do it again. Or can't find what I know is there. In this case I was pleasantly surprised how simple it was.

I use the site Specifications tab/section all the time. It's easy and I know everything is there. Some things, like the exterior paint codes section, and axles, etc...is much more detailed than what is in the FSM's. Most other things my default is to go to my own manuals...just out of habit, no other reason really.

Hey Cobra,

Hi , can you actually let me know what the settings are like .sample.

Caster 4 degrees

Camber .50 degrees

Toe total or each side .

Cheers

Hi , can you actually let me know what the settings are like .sample.

Caster 4 degrees

Camber .50 degrees

Toe total or each side .

Cheers

Sorry didnt see all those other posts above , great . One more question , if the top ball joint is released, can the caster camber bush be rotated in position . Cheers