Bullnose Forum

Need help deciphering instrument terminal

Sac79

gauge-pin-out.jpg.c9f748b05305ced71c96d6c1af99ade6.jpg

Does anyone know where I can find more info on the terminal, specifically each wire's purpose, not just the color? I suppose the number should tell me something, but I don't know where to check that. I have to splice this into my new wiring harness. All the other switches have decent info in the EVTM, just not this.

The #'s are the circuit number. And while it can be a real pain looking them up, there's a little-known trick. Go to Documentation/Test Page. Right now there's a copy of the 1985 EVTM in one searchable pdf. Open that up, then at the bottom of the screen click the Full Screen icon on the lower left. That will open the document up in a new tab with a search function. Then search for the circuit number or the wire color. But type them in exactly as you see them.

:nabble_smiley_grin:

The #'s are the circuit number. And while it can be a real pain looking them up, there's a little-known trick. Go to Documentation/Test Page. Right now there's a copy of the 1985 EVTM in one searchable pdf. Open that up, then at the bottom of the screen click the Full Screen icon on the lower left. That will open the document up in a new tab with a search function. Then search for the circuit number or the wire color. But type them in exactly as you see them.

:nabble_smiley_grin:

:nabble_smiley_good: Thanks Gary. I used my '84 electronic version and the search function worked great.

Here's the breakdown if it would help anyone else...

1 - Instrument voltage regulator

2 - Ground

4 - Fuel

5 - Illumination/lights on

6 - Coolant/Temp

8 - Ammeter(from bty/fuse link)

9 - Ammeter(from alternator)

10 - Oil pressure

11 - Tach

12 - 8 Cyl tach ground

13 - Ign/power

14 - Brake warning lamp

15 - Rh turn signal

16 - High beam

17 - Seat belt

18 - Lh turn signal

:nabble_smiley_good: Thanks Gary. I used my '84 electronic version and the search function worked great.

Here's the breakdown if it would help anyone else...

1 - Instrument voltage regulator

2 - Ground

4 - Fuel

5 - Illumination/lights on

6 - Coolant/Temp

8 - Ammeter(from bty/fuse link)

9 - Ammeter(from alternator)

10 - Oil pressure

11 - Tach

12 - 8 Cyl tach ground

13 - Ign/power

14 - Brake warning lamp

15 - Rh turn signal

16 - High beam

17 - Seat belt

18 - Lh turn signal

Good job, Rob! Yes, the search function helps a BUNCH! I put that '85 document together from the 36 separate "sections" of the '85 EVTM we have on the site. Then I ran the optical character recognition (OCR) software on it and wound up with a searchable '85 EVTM.

I don't want to put it on the site, for various reasons, so "hid" it in plain view on the Test page. It has been very handy many times as I've tried to find circuits or wires based on the colors in a picture.

The question of what wires go where from that connector have come up several times recently. One was by a guy on Facebook wanting to put a tach in a truck with idiot lights and was wondering what wires go where between the two different sized instrument connectors.

Another was when I was doing the ICVR testing and wanted to know which pin goes where.

So maybe I need to create a spreadsheet that maps them? I could start with your info and just add the 14-pin info.