Bullnose Forums

Ball joints

Press won't fit as these particular ones don't have a pinch bolt and the threaded end points down on both joints rather than up as do everyone on YT. It looks like they must come out through the tops. I finally got the camber adjustment nut out and there's no way it comes out of the bottom But I can't budge it hammer or not. I'll just sit around and think and heal as I did get the pivot bushings out and in yesterday.

I assume you're still trying to remove the knuckle/spindle from the axle beam?

When you say camber adjustment nut, you mean the upper ball joint nut?

Once you get that removed and out of the way, you can use a press like linked above to press the ball joints out, and they do press down out of the axle beams (to remove). When you install the new ones, they press up into the beams, assuming the beams are still on the truck? I did mine on the bench since I had them out for pivot bushings and ball joints at the same time.

I can't remember if my original Ford ball joints had snap rings on them, but my replacement Moog ball joints do.

Press won't fit as these particular ones don't have a pinch bolt and the threaded end points down on both joints rather than up as do everyone on YT. It looks like they must come out through the tops. I finally got the camber adjustment nut out and there's no way it comes out of the bottom But I can't budge it hammer or not. I'll just sit around and think and heal as I did get the pivot bushings out and in yesterday.

I assume you're still trying to remove the knuckle/spindle from the axle beam?

When you say camber adjustment nut, you mean the upper ball joint nut?

Once you get that removed and out of the way, you can use a press like linked above to press the ball joints out, and they do press down out of the axle beams (to remove). When you install the new ones, they press up into the beams, assuming the beams are still on the truck? I did mine on the bench since I had them out for pivot bushings and ball joints at the same time.

I can't remember if my original Ford ball joints had snap rings on them, but my replacement Moog ball joints do.

Yes sir I got the camber nut out, in hind sight I should've just taken the whole beam out and did everything on the bench. And yes I see now that the joint does press down, it also does have a snap ring which has been removed. I swear everything is very tough to remove but hey it's been there a long time as it's all original.

Thanks for responding.

I made progress however the nut on the lower joint just spins the inside of the joint :nabble_smiley_cry:

I don't have acetylene at home to turn stubborn nuts like this into liquid, so I will usually do one of two things:

1. Use a Zip cut disk on my mini grinder to just cut the nut off...or the end of the joint, whatever. They're cheap and if you're replacing it anyway, it doesn't matter.

2. If/when I can't access something with a zip cut disk, I will often use a hand drill and drill a hole in the side of the nut. Start small...1/8", and work up to the largest drill bit you can use. One benefit of doing this is once you drill a small hole in the nut you can get some penetrating oil in there, but what I usually do once the hole is big enough is take a chisel and split the nut.

I made progress however the nut on the lower joint just spins the inside of the joint :nabble_smiley_cry:

I don't have acetylene at home to turn stubborn nuts like this into liquid, so I will usually do one of two things:

1. Use a Zip cut disk on my mini grinder to just cut the nut off...or the end of the joint, whatever. They're cheap and if you're replacing it anyway, it doesn't matter.

2. If/when I can't access something with a zip cut disk, I will often use a hand drill and drill a hole in the side of the nut. Start small...1/8", and work up to the largest drill bit you can use. One benefit of doing this is once you drill a small hole in the nut you can get some penetrating oil in there, but what I usually do once the hole is big enough is take a chisel and split the nut.

YES!!! Thought about my dremel but never the drill method, interesting.

Thanks Rembrant

Success! On one side,had to buy cutoff wheel to get the nut off of the lower joint.

Now onto the other side tomorrow, it will hopefully go much faster!

Funny how you say I'm gonna replace the ball joints and you end up replacing tie-rods, drag links ,brake hoses and calipers along with new pads. Why not right :nabble_smiley_good:

Oh and pivot bushings.

Success! On one side,had to buy cutoff wheel to get the nut off of the lower joint.

Now onto the other side tomorrow, it will hopefully go much faster!

Funny how you say I'm gonna replace the ball joints and you end up replacing tie-rods, drag links ,brake hoses and calipers along with new pads. Why not right :nabble_smiley_good:

Oh and pivot bushings.

Congrat's! It is going to drive sooooo much better!