Bullnose Forums

Which distributor to get?

Anyone have any good recommendations on a distributor? My parts store replacement has not done well. I'm willing to pay decent money for a good one.

I have a MSD 6AL, MSD blaster 2 coil, 8.5mm Blue Streak plug wires, Autolite plugs. Should just get a matching MSD distributor or something else? What are your experiences?

Also, a vacuum advance along with mechanical advance is necessary. This is my work truck/daily driver/backwoods exploration vehicle so I like all the mileage I can get

I recommend Scotty Johnston, aka The Mad Porter. He runs Parkland Performance Auto Machine. He built my short block and several of us have purchased distributors from him. You tell him what you have and he sets a new dizzy up with the right curve, inc vacuum advance, for your truck and usage.

Tell him I sent you. And, he's a member on here. This is his introduction thread: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-forum-member-td43238.html#a43345

Historically, I am a Chevy guy, so HEI is usually my go to. But I catch a ration of crud sometimes by suggesting HEI. But hey, it works, and its cheap. I like it because it cleans things up a bit, and its drop in and go if you can run a direct to battery 12v off a key on relay. Imessed with MSD 6A back in the day on a chevelle with a magnetic pickup dizzy and big ole blaster coil. Its a good setup too, just a lot of extra wires and stuff.

Historically, I am a Chevy guy, so HEI is usually my go to. But I catch a ration of crud sometimes by suggesting HEI. But hey, it works, and its cheap. I like it because it cleans things up a bit, and its drop in and go if you can run a direct to battery 12v off a key on relay. Imessed with MSD 6A back in the day on a chevelle with a magnetic pickup dizzy and big ole blaster coil. Its a good setup too, just a lot of extra wires and stuff.

Off-the-shelf distributors will work. But they won't have a curve optimized for your engine.

Scotty is a big-time 460 guru and really knows what it takes for them to work. But he also works on Ford's other engines, and can dial a dizzy in for them as well.

So the question comes down to if you want generic or a dizzy curved to your setup? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Off-the-shelf distributors will work. But they won't have a curve optimized for your engine.

Scotty is a big-time 460 guru and really knows what it takes for them to work. But he also works on Ford's other engines, and can dial a dizzy in for them as well.

So the question comes down to if you want generic or a dizzy curved to your setup? :nabble_smiley_wink:

The HEI i bought for the 300 I6 from summit is supposed to be curved for a 300I6 with typical intake and exhaust mods.

*supposed to be. It runs better than it did when I got it, so I count that as a win.

Forgive my ignorance but as far as the ignition curve goes does it just come down to what weights and springs you use? Part of me would like to learn how to optimize the ignition curve. 99% of guys my age don't even know how to tune a carburetor let alone curve a distributor so I think it would be cool to learn. And it would give me an excuse to hang out and learn more from a local hot rod/race car legend (and Ford guy) that has become a close friend. He's already told me we needed to start playing with the ignition curve in my truck.

If I can get one from Scotty pretty quick I wouldn't mind doing that at all. Especially because, from what I can tell, his price is much more reasonable than I expected as listed on his website. Would be cool to have another Ford guru connection😎

Forgive my ignorance but as far as the ignition curve goes does it just come down to what weights and springs you use? Part of me would like to learn how to optimize the ignition curve. 99% of guys my age don't even know how to tune a carburetor let alone curve a distributor so I think it would be cool to learn. And it would give me an excuse to hang out and learn more from a local hot rod/race car legend (and Ford guy) that has become a close friend. He's already told me we needed to start playing with the ignition curve in my truck.

If I can get one from Scotty pretty quick I wouldn't mind doing that at all. Especially because, from what I can tell, his price is much more reasonable than I expected as listed on his website. Would be cool to have another Ford guru connection😎

Yes, the curve is set with springs, weights, and slots. The springs and weights determine how fast the advance comes in, and the slots determine how far it can advance.

But there's also the vacuum advance, and it is tuned with an allen wrench - but only after you get the centrifugal/mechanical advance dialed in.

As for Scott, if you call him he can probably get it in the mail to you in a day or two. I emailed with him on a Friday, he called on Saturday to nail down some details, and it went out on Monday.

The HEI i bought for the 300 I6 from summit is supposed to be curved for a 300I6 with typical intake and exhaust mods.

*supposed to be. It runs better than it did when I got it, so I count that as a win.

I was so close not too long ago to getting an HEI for my truck. Good friend of mine has a 72 F100 with a pretty hot 302 and he's running an HEI. It scoots to say the least. Before I got the HEI another friend of mine convinced me to go with the MSD. He has a lot of experience with them in dirt track cars and said they never had a failure. I was battling parts store igniton modules as they were failing within days of install so when I heard the MSD would last a good while I jumped on it.

I know a lot of people that run HEIs and frankly they work good. But I can just hear all my GM friends taunting me if I popped my hood and there was an HEI front and center

Yes, the curve is set with springs, weights, and slots. The springs and weights determine how fast the advance comes in, and the slots determine how far it can advance.

But there's also the vacuum advance, and it is tuned with an allen wrench - but only after you get the centrifugal/mechanical advance dialed in.

As for Scott, if you call him he can probably get it in the mail to you in a day or two. I emailed with him on a Friday, he called on Saturday to nail down some details, and it went out on Monday.

Thanks for the clarification:nabble_smiley_good:

I'll definitely be giving him a call tomorrow. If he can get it to me that quick and tailored for my truck that would be a no brainer.