Bullnose Forums

1986 Ford F-250 4X4 XLT 7.5L 460 V8 2-OWNERS 101K ORIG MILES 4WD

Agreed. I was guessing the reserve price to be $8500 or $10k or more. That's a lot of truck for $6000.

In hindsight, I would have been far FAR better off buying a truck like one of these than rehabilitating one, but it would be like crying over spilled milk now I suppose. I have thoroughly enjoying rebuilding mine, but from a financial point of view, it made such little sense to do so, I should probably be committed to an institution of some kind.:nabble_smiley_grin:

First, you have been and it is called the Bullnose Forum For The Insane. It is run by the inmates, many of whom have made the mistake of trying to restore a rusted hulk to better-than-new condition.

Seriously though, this is exactly what I've been trying to say. Before starting on a restoration figure out what your goal is and what your maximum expenditure can possibly be. Then go find the best truck you can buy for that money and that fits within your goal. You'll be loads of money and time ahead.

Yes, I know that someone is going to say "That doesn't fit with the 'Built Not Bought' theme!" But, where do you draw that line? Do you have to pour the molten cast iron for your engine in order to get that sticker? Or is it enough to remove the ugly wheels the previous owner had on and put some period-correct slots on? (I'm ignoring the question of if you have to operate the tire machine to swap the rubber.) :nabble_anim_confused:

Agreed. I was guessing the reserve price to be $8500 or $10k or more. That's a lot of truck for $6000.

In hindsight, I would have been far FAR better off buying a truck like one of these than rehabilitating one, but it would be like crying over spilled milk now I suppose. I have thoroughly enjoying rebuilding mine, but from a financial point of view, it made such little sense to do so, I should probably be committed to an institution of some kind.:nabble_smiley_grin:

First, you have been and it is called the Bullnose Forum For The Insane. It is run by the inmates, many of whom have made the mistake of trying to restore a rusted hulk to better-than-new condition.

Seriously though, this is exactly what I've been trying to say. Before starting on a restoration figure out what your goal is and what your maximum expenditure can possibly be. Then go find the best truck you can buy for that money and that fits within your goal. You'll be loads of money and time ahead.

Yes, I know that someone is going to say "That doesn't fit with the 'Built Not Bought' theme!" But, where do you draw that line? Do you have to pour the molten cast iron for your engine in order to get that sticker? Or is it enough to remove the ugly wheels the previous owner had on and put some period-correct slots on? (I'm ignoring the question of if you have to operate the tire machine to swap the rubber.) :nabble_anim_confused:

Haha, all true Gary!

The way I justify it is that hobbies cost money, period. From the fuel one puts in the tank of a gas guzzling speed boat, to green fees at a Golf course, or an addition on the house that you don't need (and is only a luxury). There's not much else you can use for an excuse for example to pay $10,000 for something that is only going to be worth $5000 when you're finished it...lol.

Still, I have not seen very many "mint" trucks for sale that were just as I wanted them as-is. I have no regrets, but in all honesty I think if I had to do it again I'd get myself one of those southern patina trucks, throw some wheels and tires on it, and a tune-up, and call it a day...lol.