Bullnose Forums

1986 F150 4x4

gatof16

Hey everyone, here is my first Bullnose project. I bought it for $1200, previous owner didn't know much about it. It started and drove, but the wiring was a nightmare (like, wires smoking) and there was a fuel leak somewhere in the back of the engine. In addition, there were mice living in the cab somewhere.

I gutted the interior and vacuumed it out and let it sit for almost nine months. I fixed some rust spots in the floor and replaced the floor covering. I bought a coverlay dash cover and got a bench seat from a '92 F150.

I replaced the wheels and tires and have torn off the drop in bedliner. Luckily, there wasn't much rust underneath. I fixed a cracked fuel hose in the back, and cleaned up the wiring mess as well.

Unfortunately, I can't get the truck to come out of second gear. I put some Lucas stop slip in, adjusted (and even unhooked) the TV cable, and still no luck. I even tried the manual shift and still stuck in second. Has anyone had any luck taking the governor off and cleaning it? Or should I just throw in the towel? Thanks for listening, and thanks for having me!

Brad

Yes, you are making progress, and before Jim says it, progress is good!

I don't know about the AOD, but surely someone does.

How many miles have you driven it? I ask because sometimes things loosen up with a few miles. But stuck in 2nd you aren't going far. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yes, you are making progress, and before Jim says it, progress is good!

I don't know about the AOD, but surely someone does.

How many miles have you driven it? I ask because sometimes things loosen up with a few miles. But stuck in 2nd you aren't going far. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Hey Gary! Yes Ive only driven it around our square mile hoping it will free itself up. Havent given up on that possibility yet. I would hate to drop $1700 on a rebuild if it's not necessary.

Btw, as I'm searching and reading the forum I see that my 351w EFI and AOD combo probably didn't come with the truck originally. Based on the work I've done on both I can say with 100% certainty they are as stated. And they both seem to run well, just not out of 2nd gear! 😕