Bullnose Forums

Another Newbie from Arkansas (Little Rock)

GimpyHSHS

Hey Folks!

I have used the FTE forum since I was 16 and first got my 83 F-100. I decided I needed to finally join up here to ask my dumb questions and throw in my $.02 where I can. I've used this site a TON in the past few months while planning for this build-up, and it's been invaluable. Kudos to Gary and the others for their hard work. Seems like the 80-86 trucks don't get as much support as they should sometimes, so it helps to have people like y'all filling that gap.

This truck was my first vehicle. I was walking through my neighborhood on a fitness walk (back when I used to do those...) and saw a "For Sale" sign on it. I figured it was too nice for my price range, but to my surprise, the old guy only wanted $900! It didn't run, but he said the engine was good, and was ok with me paying $50-100 bucks a week for a while since I only worked a few hours a week after school and on weekends while it sat at his place. Distributor was just 180* out. I finally found that out after many posts on FTE. Replaced a lot of parts it didn't need, too haha. But I also learned a lot doing that stuff, rebuilding the carb, setting timing, etc. so I won't complain too much.

Here's some pics from the first day I ever laid eyes on her:

gcj.jpg.7947a70a4fca2d0523b0bd95b8d52f68.jpg

g.jpg.1fb544b888a3e8cf69951fb3e5cb4263.jpg

k.jpg.f6f2dc08d7bc2ec3c3d17586395fdfa3.jpg

I drove the truck for a little while, then sold it to buy my first of several Mustangs. Two or three years later I bought it back from the same guy for the same price I sold it for. Heck of a deal to get my baby back!

I've had it back for the past 2-2.5 years. I haven't really done much to it in the first two years, but recently decided I was gonna fix it up to do some Mustang trailering when I go to AutoCross and road course events. It'd also be nice if it was reliable enough for me to hop in to go camping and hunting. Back in '18, I went deer hunting in it on opening day of modern gun and got stranded in the middle of the National forest when the alternator belt decided to come off. Can't be doing that, it really put a damper on my spirits.

Of course, it would be far cheaper and easier to just buy a newer truck that's starting off better, but that's not really any fun, now is it? :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Specs on the Truck:

Class C - 4,001-5,000LB

Pickup F-100 - 2/W/D

83 Gas 6 cyl 300 CID 4.9L

GVWR: 4700 LB / 2131 KG

Front GVWR: 2650 LB / 1202 KG

Rear GVWR: 2684 LB / 1217 KG

133" Wheelbase

"C" Blue Cloth/Vinyl

"B" Full Width (Bench)

"4" Reg Cab w/Styleside

"K" - 3 Speed C6 Auto

3.55 Non-Locking (8.8)

So far I have done the brake rotors, pads, wheel bearings, seals, axle pivot bushings, radius arm bushings, front springs, spring isolators, front and rear shocks, and changed the differential fluid.

The truck is at my cousin's right now. I am having him do the steering gear box, power steering pressure hose, all 4 tie rods, rag joint, alignment, and two new tires on the rear.

Once he gets done there, I will be tossing some new leaf springs on the rear. Baby ought to ride better than new when all that's done.

Engine has had issues ever since I got it. A loud tick that only made noise when running at constant RPM or consistent load...pressing the gas or letting off the gas would make it go away. It also smoked a lot out of the top of the engine, out the breather cap. Enough to start filling the cab with smoke at stoplights. So I decided I needed to change it out. Women are not impressed by that.

Back in August 2019, I picked up a 1985 F-150 engine for $300. Stock 300 I6. That went to the machine shop about a month and a half ago, along with:

Comp Cams 268

Comp Lifters 832-12

Comp steel timing gear set 3224

Comp Valve Springs 903-12

Comp Valve Locks 601-12

Comp Valve Seals 502-12

Obviously, it'll be getting a fresh oil pump, plugs, wires, etc.

Now it's just a wait till the engine gets done at the machine shop. Right now, it hasn't even been started on, even though they've had it since the end of February. It's not all that big a deal...but darn it, I'm ready to get this thing done!!

Also putting an Offenhauser "C" 4 barrel intake and some budget stainless steel long tubes.

Once I get it back, engine will be getting a healthy dose of "Ford Blue" paint. Accessories, brake booster, master cylinder, bellhousing, etc are gonna get painted "cast coat aluminum". Everything else is gonna get cleaned like crazy. I want the engine bay to shine since I'm gonna have everything out anyway. If the firewall (which used to be white) needs it, I'll go ahead and paint that, too, while the engine is out. I'm hoping to not need to spray paint the inner fenders. If I have to, they'll be low gloss black, aka "Satin".

As soon as the fresh engine goes in, I will be putting on the AC Kit I have. It has new compressor, oil, orifice tube, o rings, etc. The system doesn't work as of right now. I may go ahead and replace the lines or just flush them. They do look kind of ratty on the outside, so they may get replaced.

Along with the new engine will come PMGR starter and 3G alternator upgrade. The battery cables on mine are still the factory ones and don't look very pretty. I like the looks of Battery Cables USA, so that's where I will probably get mine.

Going to throw a tranny cooler on there for peace of mind when driving long distances and towing. At this time, the trans isn't getting anything done to it except a fluid change and maybe a gasket or two if I can tell where it's leaking from and it's an easy fix. It shifts out fine, perhaps a little hard, but nothing I can't live with. I'll do a band adjustment, as well, and check the vacuum modulator.

I'm planning to loom all the old engine wiring and tidy it up a bit. Lengthen what I can to help conceal it a bit if possible. I haven't really investigated that part too much, but I don't see why I can't. I'll be removing the Duraspark 2, so that will take some wiring off the driver's fenderwell. Fresh vacuum lines on everything.

The last upgrade is probably the best one, but also one of the most expensive, so I haven't decided if it's going to get done now or down the road. Holley Sniper 2bbl EFI with timing control. I have had a great experience with the 4bbl Sniper EFI and Hyperspark ignition system on my 351w swapped 1995 Mustang. If it works on that hot engine, I reckon it'll work just fine on this smaller, mild build. I'm gonna try to put the electric pump inside the tank. I haven't figured out exactly how the dual tanks are gonna work, or if I will even bother doing them.

If anyone is just interested in it, here's a link to my build list. It's just a Google Sheets spreadsheet. Has all the parts and where I sourced them. I've tried my hardest to find the best deal on everything. RockAuto is hard to beat for that lol. I have had a lot of spare time here lately.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tl;dr- kid with poor financial planning is bringing back a 37 year old truck for the same as it would cost to buy a newer, nicer truck with more power, better gas mileage, and more value.

Chris - Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Little Rock, huh. Would you like to be on our map? (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.)

Wow, you have a lot of cool plans. And, have done a lot of work already. Hope you'll start a thread in the main section to detail your build.

And, are you aware you can put your spreadsheet in a post? And then any changes you make behind the scenes will automagically get updated? You'll have to have the spreadsheet on something like Google Drive or OneDrive, but it works. See the first post of Big Blue's Transformation for an example. See Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's for how to do that.

Little Rock, huh. Would you like to be on our map? (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.)

Wow, you have a lot of cool plans. And, have done a lot of work already. Hope you'll start a thread in the main section to detail your build.

And, are you aware you can put your spreadsheet in a post? And then any changes you make behind the scenes will automagically get updated? You'll have to have the spreadsheet on something like Google Drive or OneDrive, but it works. See the first post of Big Blue's Transformation for an example. See Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's for how to do that.

Welcome, Chris! :nabble_anim_handshake:

That sounds great! Please add me. Oddly enough, the member's map doesn't show up on my end right now. Says "admin.google.com refused to connect." and has a little sad face. It might be this work computer though.

I will do that next! I've been trying to remember to take pictures of what I do, but sometimes I just get right to it and forget.

I was not...but I am now. I will try to do that in my build thread.

That sounds great! Please add me. Oddly enough, the member's map doesn't show up on my end right now. Says "admin.google.com refused to connect." and has a little sad face. It might be this work computer though.

I will do that next! I've been trying to remember to take pictures of what I do, but sometimes I just get right to it and forget.

I was not...but I am now. I will try to do that in my build thread.

You are now on the map. And, as you'll see, you aren't far from me in the Tulsa area.

You are now on the map. And, as you'll see, you aren't far from me in the Tulsa area.

Not bad at all! In fact, the events that I will be going to to run my Mustang are pretty close to you as well. Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Jennings, OK. I was supposed to be running an event next Wednesday, but canceled my spot because of this 'rona virus.

That's why I want the truck running and driving solid. It's a bit of a haul for an old truck trailering the Mustang. I've only made it there once, back in 2015 for the Mid-America Ford and Shelby Meet. Every other time, either my car wasn't ready, or something else came up on my schedule. I'm reeeeeeeeally itching to get back on the track. I've been trying my hand out at AutoCross, but all those events got canceled for the foreseeable future.

My dad attends that Ford meet pretty much every year. Most people stay in Tulsa and do the drag event, car show, and downtown cruise as well.

Here's my other baby...

Mustang.jpg.f6c1785a5b193b8109f436300b520df0.jpg

Mustang2.jpg.e89c9679e94ca4ab07ca32b08c7c208e.jpg

And some pics from Hallett in 2015. My car back then was the white 01 convertible Mustang. It's covered in mud from when I got a bit...enthusiastic in Turn 7. The 2012 Boss 302 was what my brother took, and the 70 Boss is my dad's.

Hallett2.jpg.1915ad98fb6436ef14ae87dcac69a8a6.jpg

Hallett1.jpg.dddb62b1fd22510275322d3a4b17cfdf.jpg

Not bad at all! In fact, the events that I will be going to to run my Mustang are pretty close to you as well. Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Jennings, OK. I was supposed to be running an event next Wednesday, but canceled my spot because of this 'rona virus.

That's why I want the truck running and driving solid. It's a bit of a haul for an old truck trailering the Mustang. I've only made it there once, back in 2015 for the Mid-America Ford and Shelby Meet. Every other time, either my car wasn't ready, or something else came up on my schedule. I'm reeeeeeeeally itching to get back on the track. I've been trying my hand out at AutoCross, but all those events got canceled for the foreseeable future.

My dad attends that Ford meet pretty much every year. Most people stay in Tulsa and do the drag event, car show, and downtown cruise as well.

Here's my other baby...

And some pics from Hallett in 2015. My car back then was the white 01 convertible Mustang. It's covered in mud from when I got a bit...enthusiastic in Turn 7. The 2012 Boss 302 was what my brother took, and the 70 Boss is my dad's.

Welcome!

Here's my other baby...

I'm familiar with Hallett. Haven't been in there, but have driven by bunches of times.

Nice Mustang!

Normally we have a Ford truck show on the third Saturday of September here in Skiatook and several of the folks from the forum come. In fact, year before last we had members from MS, AR, KS, CO, CA, and NZ awa Australia. But, I fear for this year's meeting. We shall see.

I'm familiar with Hallett. Haven't been in there, but have driven by bunches of times.

Nice Mustang!

Normally we have a Ford truck show on the third Saturday of September here in Skiatook and several of the folks from the forum come. In fact, year before last we had members from MS, AR, KS, CO, CA, and NZ awa Australia. But, I fear for this year's meeting. We shall see.

That stinks about the truck meet. I would probably have the truck ready by then. Keep us informed on it for sure.

That stinks about the truck meet. I would probably have the truck ready by then. Keep us informed on it for sure.

Welcome from Hot Springs, Chris! I like the truck, have a love for regular cab long beds and inline sixes:nabble_smiley_good: