Bullnose Forums

Conversion to power doors - Wiring question

Hello all,

I'm trying to finish installing the power windows and locks on my 84 Bronco XLT, which originally had manual locks and windows. I secured the jumper wiring for the doors that goes behind the dash from an 85 Bronco, so I know I have the correct wire. I installed the hardware in the doors and connected the doors together and inserted the green connector into slot C1962 on the back of the fuse block.

I am now left with a blue/black wire with blue connector which I believe hooks into the tailgate window power switch (see pic below):

Blue_Connector.thumb.jpeg.d415f7c14f469859d7b2dffbd4d824f3.jpeg

Research on previous posts seems to indicate that this plugs in behind the dash, but the wire is not very long and I can't find a connector that it can theoretically reach. On top of that, I'm an idiot when it comes to circuits, so I'm not at all sure what I am doing.

I currently have the dash completely removed (the plastic part, I mean), so I can access everything easily. Anyone mind giving me a quick lesson on how the tailgate circuit is supposed to wire in for the conversion to work properly?

Thanks!

This will probably have to be a several-post solution. But here's the first one.

On Page 120 of the '85 EVTM (Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM/Power Windows) we see the schematic below. And note that the circuit has a light blue/black dot color. Further, C1955 is shown on the next page as Blue with one connection and is in the LH cowl area. And on Page 122 there's an illustration showing it about where it is in your pic. So that matches and that connector appears to be C1955.

But you don't find the other half of C1955? The wire that goes to splice S852 and branches to the RH front window control as well as to C1953?

1985-etm-page120.thumb.jpg.99f26671dd67a8d72230e9d9fec15bb1.jpg

Posting these here for quick reference:

Excuse my ignorance on Broncos but you have the rear window switch, correct?

If so can you follow it back to find the LB/BK wire that comes off of it? It appears the Bronco has a jumper/slice that should also have a plug for the blue connector.

In a pickup there is still the connector but it goes straight to the fuse block.

Excuse my ignorance on Broncos but you have the rear window switch, correct?

If so can you follow it back to find the LB/BK wire that comes off of it? It appears the Bronco has a jumper/slice that should also have a plug for the blue connector.

In a pickup there is still the connector but it goes straight to the fuse block.

Here's the rest of that circuit.

And Scott is right - you should be able to follow back from the tailgate switch on the HVAC panel and see where it goes.

1985-etm-page123.thumb.jpg.5c372a127f1498fc8a6305b8a06b5a8b.jpg

This will probably have to be a several-post solution. But here's the first one.

On Page 120 of the '85 EVTM (Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM/Power Windows) we see the schematic below. And note that the circuit has a light blue/black dot color. Further, C1955 is shown on the next page as Blue with one connection and is in the LH cowl area. And on Page 122 there's an illustration showing it about where it is in your pic. So that matches and that connector appears to be C1955.

But you don't find the other half of C1955? The wire that goes to splice S852 and branches to the RH front window control as well as to C1953?

Super helpful info so far. Before I go around digging for wires and unplugging things, help me understand the 30,000 foot view on this thing.

The tailgate window was getting power before I added the power windows, so what purpose does connecting the switch to the power window wiring serve? If I am unplugging the tailgate switch from it's current connection in order to plug it into the window wiring that I just installed, what do I do with the connection that the tailgate switch was plugged into?

I have the very detailed wiring schematics but I'm just not very good at circuits, so treat me like I'm stupid (I won't take offense).

Super helpful info so far. Before I go around digging for wires and unplugging things, help me understand the 30,000 foot view on this thing.

The tailgate window was getting power before I added the power windows, so what purpose does connecting the switch to the power window wiring serve? If I am unplugging the tailgate switch from it's current connection in order to plug it into the window wiring that I just installed, what do I do with the connection that the tailgate switch was plugged into?

I have the very detailed wiring schematics but I'm just not very good at circuits, so treat me like I'm stupid (I won't take offense).

That S850 is a splice. So it's taking the power (+12v) from the fuse block and feeding both the rear window and the door windows. You shouldn't need to unhook anything from the rear window circuit but rather there should be a loose connector like you were looking for to hook into. Going from the switch (or from the fuse block side) gives us a solid point to reference.

Gary - I wonder if they had a separate wire that had or didn't have the splice/second connector depending on if the Bronco had power doors or not?

Chad - essentially what we need to know is if the LB/BK wire from the back of the fuse block goes straight to the rear window switch as a single, uninterrupted wire.

Let me try to explain how I see it and see if it makes any sense.

You had the power tailgate window, so you had the wiring shown on Page 123, which included a run of Circuit 400 to the Power Windows wiring on Page 120. And, as shown on Page 120, that run from the tailgate wiring should include one side of C1955.

Now you have the power windows, and I think that provides the other side of C1955, and you just plug the two together.

That S850 is a splice. So it's taking the power (+12v) from the fuse block and feeding both the rear window and the door windows. You shouldn't need to unhook anything from the rear window circuit but rather there should be a loose connector like you were looking for to hook into. Going from the switch (or from the fuse block side) gives us a solid point to reference.

Gary - I wonder if they had a separate wire that had or didn't have the splice/second connector depending on if the Bronco had power doors or not?

Chad - essentially what we need to know is if the LB/BK wire from the back of the fuse block goes straight to the rear window switch as a single, uninterrupted wire.

I agree with the question about the single, uninterrupted wire.

But on the question of a separate wire that didn't have the splice, that's hard to figure out from the MPC. Let's await an answer on the other question?

I agree with the question about the single, uninterrupted wire.

But on the question of a separate wire that didn't have the splice, that's hard to figure out from the MPC. Let's await an answer on the other question?

Sounds good. I'll sit back and watch so we aren't talking over each other (where's that popcorn emoticon when you need it :nabble_smiley_beam:).

I should probably rephrase 'separate wire' to avoid anyone else misreading that. To better say it: I wonder if they had two versions of the LB/BK circuit depending upon the Bronco options.