Bullnose Forums

"The Great Unscrewing"

So what wires did you cut? Do you mean the big EFI harness that passes through the firewall right behind the driver's side valve cover? If that is all you did, that is not a big deal really...the EFI system in that truck is pretty much a stand alone system. You would remove it if you were doing a DSII conversion anyway.

Simplest and cheapest solution (imho) would be to go carbed and a DSII (Duraspark) conversion. The wiring for your gauges is not in the EFI harness anyway, so if all you gutted was the EFI harness, it's not that bad.

Sorry to see that, Gid.

I think conversion to MAF would be a significant step. I say that because you said something about crimping the wires together and if that's what you do I think you'll soon have serious problems. To do it correctly I recommend soldering and then protecting the joint with adhesive-lined heat shrink that will seal the it.

But, if you want to do it I'd suggest you get the harness from a later EEC-V system which will give you MAF and the wiring to all of the sensors. I've not yet done it, but have the harnii with which to do it and it is intimidating. It includes a power distribution box that needs to be accommodated as there are relays in there the EEC counts on. And you'll have to find a home for the EEC 'cause the EEC-V systems put them in the modified kick panel, and there's no room there for it on your truck. As Jim said, Bill/85lebaront2 would be a good one to talk to on that as he's done it.

But does Painless have a harness for that? Is that what you are saying? If it is for a Mustang, where do they put the EEC? Can it be put there on a truck? Or, do you still have wiring to do?

Sorry to see that, Gid.

I think conversion to MAF would be a significant step. I say that because you said something about crimping the wires together and if that's what you do I think you'll soon have serious problems. To do it correctly I recommend soldering and then protecting the joint with adhesive-lined heat shrink that will seal the it.

But, if you want to do it I'd suggest you get the harness from a later EEC-V system which will give you MAF and the wiring to all of the sensors. I've not yet done it, but have the harnii with which to do it and it is intimidating. It includes a power distribution box that needs to be accommodated as there are relays in there the EEC counts on. And you'll have to find a home for the EEC 'cause the EEC-V systems put them in the modified kick panel, and there's no room there for it on your truck. As Jim said, Bill/85lebaront2 would be a good one to talk to on that as he's done it.

But does Painless have a harness for that? Is that what you are saying? If it is for a Mustang, where do they put the EEC? Can it be put there on a truck? Or, do you still have wiring to do?

There shouldn't be any reason he couldn't use the original 1985/86 location, the EEC-IV and EEC-V boxes are the same physical size and if he kept the original grommet he should be able to use it for the wire harness. The power relay is there, and the same fuel pump relay should work, but if not a pair of the later Bosch relays could be mounted next to it.

There shouldn't be any reason he couldn't use the original 1985/86 location, the EEC-IV and EEC-V boxes are the same physical size and if he kept the original grommet he should be able to use it for the wire harness. The power relay is there, and the same fuel pump relay should work, but if not a pair of the later Bosch relays could be mounted next to it.

Good points, Bill. Exactly why I thought you were the one to comment. :nabble_smiley_good: