Bullnose Forums

Speed Control Removal

Do any of you know where the factory cruise speed sensor is?

I have seen two types. The earlier ones have a 2-piece speedometer cable. There is a short one that goes from the cluster to a speed sensor, then a second cable goes from the other end of the speed sensor to the transmission. The later type is a single cable with the sensor at the end of it. The driven speedometer gear mounts directly onto the sensor. I don't have pics handy but I can take some.

I have seen two types. The earlier ones have a 2-piece speedometer cable. There is a short one that goes from the cluster to a speed sensor, then a second cable goes from the other end of the speed sensor to the transmission. The later type is a single cable with the sensor at the end of it. The driven speedometer gear mounts directly onto the sensor. I don't have pics handy but I can take some.

I found this really informative web page (that even the author had forgotten :nabble_smiley_blush:) which showed installation illustrations and part numbers for speed controls. However, it didn't include the speedometer cable part numbers, although now it does. It is at Underhood/Speed Control, as if that makes sense. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, looking at the speedo cables, it turns out that the change appears to have been made in '86. The 1986 cables are one-piece and are from 73 3/8" to 90" long, while the 1980 - 85 cables are two-piece with an upper cable of 24 3/8" for all applications and a lower of from 44" to 63" long depending on the application.

I found this really informative web page (that even the author had forgotten :nabble_smiley_blush:) which showed installation illustrations and part numbers for speed controls. However, it didn't include the speedometer cable part numbers, although now it does. It is at Underhood/Speed Control, as if that makes sense. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But, looking at the speedo cables, it turns out that the change appears to have been made in '86. The 1986 cables are one-piece and are from 73 3/8" to 90" long, while the 1980 - 85 cables are two-piece with an upper cable of 24 3/8" for all applications and a lower of from 44" to 63" long depending on the application.

Well guys I think I figured out what I’m going to do! Rather than remove the factory system, I’m going to modify its switches a bit. I purchased some nos 84-89 Lincoln Mark VII switches. They’re a tad bit shorter than the truck ones, and they’re black. On all ford cruise control systems they used the same resistors in each switch function (resume, set/accel, and coast). I tested this and it is true. On the Lincoln switches if I run a constant 12v to the purple wire, the blue and black wire is the one that sends the signal. If I un plug the wire that goes from the steering wheel to the cruise amplifier and plug in the Lincoln switches there, the Lincoln switches and the truck cruise should work together . The only problem is mounting them. What I want to do is have someone 3d print me a little bit bigger version of the dealer installed cruise control switches. Rather than about 9/16” by 9/16” by 5 3/8” I would need it roughly to be 1” by 1” by 6 3/8”.

8FD589EE-B724-4920-A5BB-A8E333B480C8.thumb.jpeg.02a53712d9e67ff39666e61ac90dff37.jpeg

B69CCFC7-9175-4C9A-B360-FEDEE03418E5.thumb.jpeg.f437ec368a9fe673f7f285c0955d5c95.jpeg

image395.thumb.jpg.c3092029ddf7b5c39d47db0f4db3e547.jpg