Bullnose Forums

Speed Control Removal

Well for almost 3 years now I have had a 78/79 ford truck sport steering wheel for my 85' sitting on my shelf collecting dust. My only hold up with installing it was the speed control as I would like to keep it. A while back I purchased the E8TZ-9A818-A dealer installed speed control kit. As far as I know its pretty similar to the E4TZ kit. What I want to know is how to complety remove the factory setup without cutting wires or butcher anything. I was kind of hoping someone has removed a factory cruise setup out of a truck in the Junkyard, and had some advice. Im guessing I can use some of the power sources for the factory setup. Any imput and advice would be greatly appricated!

Chris, I don't have the answer on this yet, but I may dig into the topic fairly soon. I want to add factory cruise to the 81, so I will start by pulling the components from a junkyard truck. The EVTM really has all the answers, I just have not studied it yet. The main difference I think for you will be the type of switching and the control module. The factory system has to send everything through the two horn contacts so it's very different than the dealer added or aftermarket type.

Do you have a complete dealer added kit? Can't you just install it in addition to whatever is there and maybe utilize the speed sensor and transducer if they are the same?

I found out on my recent trip to Death Valley that I have a torn meniscus in my right knee, and ten days of travel and driving around the park really ticked it off. I no longer consider this to be a frivolous "luxury" item. It felt like someone pounded a metal rod under my knee cap and heated it with a blow torch. We have a couple of trips planned for this summer and I would like to take the truck, but not if I can't get functioning cruise control. Factory cruise trucks are abundant, so that's what I will try for, even though dealer added would probably be easier (just harder to find). I guess this is my karma for joking around that I will never own an automatic transmission truck unless I end up with an amputated leg.

Chris, I don't have the answer on this yet, but I may dig into the topic fairly soon. I want to add factory cruise to the 81, so I will start by pulling the components from a junkyard truck. The EVTM really has all the answers, I just have not studied it yet. The main difference I think for you will be the type of switching and the control module. The factory system has to send everything through the two horn contacts so it's very different than the dealer added or aftermarket type.

Do you have a complete dealer added kit? Can't you just install it in addition to whatever is there and maybe utilize the speed sensor and transducer if they are the same?

I found out on my recent trip to Death Valley that I have a torn meniscus in my right knee, and ten days of travel and driving around the park really ticked it off. I no longer consider this to be a frivolous "luxury" item. It felt like someone pounded a metal rod under my knee cap and heated it with a blow torch. We have a couple of trips planned for this summer and I would like to take the truck, but not if I can't get functioning cruise control. Factory cruise trucks are abundant, so that's what I will try for, even though dealer added would probably be easier (just harder to find). I guess this is my karma for joking around that I will never own an automatic transmission truck unless I end up with an amputated leg.

To add a factory cruise, you need the short jumper harness between the dash and steering column harness with the speed control "amplifier" and horn relay. The speed control vacuum dump valve for the brake pedal and on an MT truck the clutch switch and vacuum dump valve.

The speed control vacuum and electric harness go through the firewall to the right of the brake booster up high, and in far enough to clear the clutch hydraulic cylinder on MT models. It is a dedicated harness and plugs into the fuse box accessory feed location provided for it. Steering wheel, any with the switches that fits a truck column through 1991 will work.

Side note, the all electronic one uses the exact same control switches and a hydraulic "dump switch" on the MC.

To add a factory cruise, you need the short jumper harness between the dash and steering column harness with the speed control "amplifier" and horn relay. The speed control vacuum dump valve for the brake pedal and on an MT truck the clutch switch and vacuum dump valve.

The speed control vacuum and electric harness go through the firewall to the right of the brake booster up high, and in far enough to clear the clutch hydraulic cylinder on MT models. It is a dedicated harness and plugs into the fuse box accessory feed location provided for it. Steering wheel, any with the switches that fits a truck column through 1991 will work.

Side note, the all electronic one uses the exact same control switches and a hydraulic "dump switch" on the MC.

Good description. Do you now have an "electronic" one in your possession? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Thanks for the responses! I do believe the dealer kit used different sensors than the factory ones. I think I will use the EVTM to remove it. I will do a write up on it along with my other add ons already in it. My other idea is making some sort of switch that goes on the turn Signal switch and runs upto the brushes in the column.

Thanks for the responses! I do believe the dealer kit used different sensors than the factory ones. I think I will use the EVTM to remove it. I will do a write up on it along with my other add ons already in it. My other idea is making some sort of switch that goes on the turn Signal switch and runs upto the brushes in the column.

Dana made a kit that mounted a switch on the turn signal, and I think they were dealer-added for Ford.