Bullnose Forums

Sky's Front Superduty RSK on a 2wd

So I've finally got to the front of the truck and I got it completely stripped today so that I can start installation on Sky's RSK using superduty springs to convert my truck into 4wd. Mind you this kit is not intended for 2wd trucks so there are things you will have to measure out and drill on your own.

I got the front end completely stripped of all suspension components. And this is where I am right now.

20200411_154312.jpg.a349bca88c9e35b142ff3e17b5f12e15.jpg

I am starting by installing the rear shackle hangers first because those will be what is constant when pulling other measurements. 3 bolts in and there is a slight problem with getting to the top front bolt to drill the frame out. Below are measurements provided by Gary and then what I currently have prepped up on the frame.

Rear_Spring_Hanger_Dimensions_-_Cropped.jpg.2df12bdd770efc5b59f29004f4d66111.jpg

20200411_163330.jpg.f6d8d79111c9828ef59840313bcde475.jpg20200411_163336.jpg.41f9b1f7b3ab10bd21602c2a3b97aad3.jpg

I'm hoping that I can maybe remove the body mount bushing and drill a pilot hole at least from the outside. Or now that I'm thinking about it again I'll probably just have to make a paper/cardboard template and use that to mark my hole on the inside of the frame.

I made a paperboard template and found my pilot hole based off the lower hole and the measurements Gary provided. I was able to drill from inside the frame, but my truck has no drivetrain currently, so that made it easy.

That's what I did just now. Bracket is on! Had to stop and eat supper though. I was hungry!

I made a paperboard template and found my pilot hole based off the lower hole and the measurements Gary provided. I was able to drill from inside the frame, but my truck has no drivetrain currently, so that made it easy.

That's what I did just now. Bracket is on! Had to stop and eat supper though. I was hungry!

I was thinking "That sure looks familiar." Then I realized why. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, your installation is going well. You'll beat me to using it, and I'm anxious to see what you think.

I was thinking "That sure looks familiar." Then I realized why. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, your installation is going well. You'll beat me to using it, and I'm anxious to see what you think.

Well I had to pause on getting the passenger side rear hanger on. I currently have a NV4500 behind my 12v and I'm sure it's partly the design of the transmission, but also that the engine and trans are slighty set more in favor of the passenger side. Roughly 6-7" on the passenger side and a full foot on the drivers side. I'm swapping to my ZF5 anyway so I'll have to pull the trans before I can finish the rear hanger so I can do all the front. It's all coming together though.

20200411_191508.jpg.1fa9f3fec9bb86230f295344bd4adaa3.jpg

20200411_191522.jpg.e60da35a35272310017070768aacbccf.jpg

Well I had to pause on getting the passenger side rear hanger on. I currently have a NV4500 behind my 12v and I'm sure it's partly the design of the transmission, but also that the engine and trans are slighty set more in favor of the passenger side. Roughly 6-7" on the passenger side and a full foot on the drivers side. I'm swapping to my ZF5 anyway so I'll have to pull the trans before I can finish the rear hanger so I can do all the front. It's all coming together though.

There's always something that seems to drag out a project like this. But, you have a plan in hand, so will get there. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 1 month later...

There's always something that seems to drag out a project like this. But, you have a plan in hand, so will get there. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well it has been a month and I finally got the RSK finished. Thanks to Gary for the measurements on the rear hangers. I had a hard time with my passenger side one. I'm not sure if one of the bolt holes was slightly off on the bracket when it was made or I was just holding my mouth the wrong way, but I finally got it installed.

On the front brackets I started with eyeballing how it looked and where it looked right. Then I used the measurements once again that I got from Gary to get the distance for the eye to eye right on the front to rear bracket. Double checked it. Checked square with other static parts. Drilled holes for everything then lined up the box kit that comes with the kit. After getting that where all the bolts were centered in all the proper holes welded it in. I believe with it and just the spacers it should be plenty strong enough but if I run into issues after driving it I'll add in another plate to make it a complete box. Fitted everything back where it needed to be and bolted it in then bolted springs in. I'm sure hoping I get a lot of settling when the weight is applied cause this is looking like it's going to be way taller than I planned on. 20200513_230100.jpg.f0e470bbeeb4ecb690128e54ad79fe21.jpg20200513_230053.jpg.29606c69e3022e7b91f613abc2a052d0.jpg

Well it has been a month and I finally got the RSK finished. Thanks to Gary for the measurements on the rear hangers. I had a hard time with my passenger side one. I'm not sure if one of the bolt holes was slightly off on the bracket when it was made or I was just holding my mouth the wrong way, but I finally got it installed.

On the front brackets I started with eyeballing how it looked and where it looked right. Then I used the measurements once again that I got from Gary to get the distance for the eye to eye right on the front to rear bracket. Double checked it. Checked square with other static parts. Drilled holes for everything then lined up the box kit that comes with the kit. After getting that where all the bolts were centered in all the proper holes welded it in. I believe with it and just the spacers it should be plenty strong enough but if I run into issues after driving it I'll add in another plate to make it a complete box. Fitted everything back where it needed to be and bolted it in then bolted springs in. I'm sure hoping I get a lot of settling when the weight is applied cause this is looking like it's going to be way taller than I planned on.

Cool! Glad you are "there". :nabble_anim_claps:

Want me to measure how much difference there is on mine from full droop on the lift to fully on the ground? There's a whole lot more movement now than when it had TTB's and leaf springs.

Cool! Glad you are "there". :nabble_anim_claps:

Want me to measure how much difference there is on mine from full droop on the lift to fully on the ground? There's a whole lot more movement now than when it had TTB's and leaf springs.

It should definitely settle once you put the truck on the ground. I think it will end up right where you want it.

It should definitely settle once you put the truck on the ground. I think it will end up right where you want it.

Big Blue drops 3 3/4" when the weight is put on the wheels. That's with everything but the winch and cooling system in. Bumper, dual batteries, engine, tranny, t-case, etc are all in. I'm going to guess that it'll settle another 1/4" with everything. But right now the truck is level, with the top of the wheel well openings at 41" to the floor.