Bullnose Forums

Dad's Truck Build

Yes, the same direction. That came to me later, which is why I edited the post. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But, one out of two?

Got a bit of media blasting and powder coating done today. Here are the parts after blasting:

Valentines_Day_Media_Blasting.thumb.jpg.9274e5f64ff91e7d65564b51b1189797.jpg

And here they are after powder coating:

Valentines_Day_Powder_Coating.thumb.jpg.f7e8b9041da28f2cf8cb8d8aab958787.jpg

The handle was a test, and was off of Huck the half-truck. It is in glass black and is shiney, but that's hard to capture in a picture.

Black_Door_Handle_-_Front.thumb.jpg.80da3f1baf96bf4c88bd64b252df238a.jpg

Black_Door_Handle_-_Top.thumb.jpg.986a1a7914339066e2899d496794757f.jpg

It had some dings on it and I wondered how or if they would show up. Sure enough, they do. (I don't know why this looks brown.)

Black_Door_Handle_-_Closeup.thumb.jpg.f76134a2211adb2a3a4242ac8d47c1bf.jpg

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a bit of media blasting and powder coating done today. Here are the parts after blasting:

And here they are after powder coating:

The handle was a test, and was off of Huck the half-truck. It is in glass black and is shiney, but that's hard to capture in a picture.

It had some dings on it and I wondered how or if they would show up. Sure enough, they do. (I don't know why this looks brown.)

That is cool! Handy that you can powder coat!

I like the black handle! Would the aluminum windshield trim as well as upper and lower grill trim warp in the oven?

Grumpin - That's why I got into powder coating, to have better-than-new parts. But that takes media blasting. And that takes parts washing. So it is "involved". And then installation is slow 'cause you have to protect the powder from the socket, and then sometimes touch up.

David - I like the door handle as well. But there's a good friend in AZ that wants a pair, so I was checking to see how it would turn out. Pretty well, if I do say so myself. :nabble_smiley_happy:

As for the windshield trim, that is more involved so I didn't try it in the midst of this test. I don't know what prep the trim will need. The powder needs some "tooth" to adhere to, but something as thin as the windshield trim could easily warp from the heat generated in media blasting.

And then there's the hour in the oven at 400 degrees that most aluminum needs in order to burn off all the impurities hiding in the pores. But does anodized aluminum have pores? After media blasting?

So the learning curve on the windshield trim is steep, and I wasn't ready to start the climb - just yet.

David - I like the door handle as well. But there's a good friend in AZ that wants a pair, so I was checking to see how it would turn out. Pretty well, if I do say so myself. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I believe that good friend in AZ needs 2 pairs.

By golly, I believe you are correct. Not sure I have that many spare. But, if I remember correctly, he's not quite ready for them. Perhaps he can pick them up in September?

By golly, I believe you are correct. Not sure I have that many spare. But, if I remember correctly, he's not quite ready for them. Perhaps he can pick them up in September?

Gary, I think I have an extra pair I can send so you will have some more to play with and then maybe you can do exchanges for people who want them.

Gary, I think I have an extra pair I can send so you will have some more to play with and then maybe you can do exchanges for people who want them.

Thanks, Bill!

My only concern in PC'ing door handles is how long the powder will stand up to the UV. The powder I used yesterday is a Sherwin Williams powder, which is supposedly good for UV. But if anyone knows of a better powder then it might be prudent to use it as door handles get a lot of sun. Especially in AZ. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, Bill!

My only concern in PC'ing door handles is how long the powder will stand up to the UV. The powder I used yesterday is a Sherwin Williams powder, which is supposedly good for UV. But if anyone knows of a better powder then it might be prudent to use it as door handles get a lot of sun. Especially in AZ. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Perhaps Jonathan can provide long term feedback? :nabble_smiley_happy: